"Haven't you run before?" (Read 391 times)

Runner100

Below link is Mo Farah  interviewed by a local tv anchor after winning New Orleans half this weekend (61 mins - he's getting reading for a 2014 marathon attempt) Apparently local anchor has no clue who he is, assumes he is a plucky amateur and asks "Haven't you run before?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/2013/feb/26/mo-farah-us-tv-video

He's probably thinking, "stupid Americans..." but he  handled it with grace, espeically kindly pointing out the 1/2 is NOT a marathon

Runner100

Wouldn't necessarily expect the average man on the street, who missed the Olympic track events, to know who Mo is. But you would think someone in the research dept at that TV station would have given her a quick heads up.

jfa

What we wish he said;

" oh yea. I did this little thing, you may have heard of it before. it's called...... THE OLYMPICS! "

#artbydmcbride

I am helping my friend raise money for the Meb Keflezighi foundation.  When I talk to people even in my running club! they frequently ask 'what is MEB?'   I think they assume it is a new syndrome or disease.  Big grin

Runners run

Runner100

Would have been funny if he just responded by doing the Mobot.

What we wish he said;

" oh yea. I did this little thing, you may have heard of it before. it's called...... THE OLYMPICS! "

That's nothing compared to the interview with Mo that ran in the German Runner's World, in which the German reporter asked him whether he wouldn't rather have medaled for his "native country of Somalia", whether that wouldn't have made the win more emotionally meaningful. Disapprove Surprised Dead

That's nothing compared to the interview with Mo that ran in the German Runner's World, in which the German reporter asked him whether he wouldn't rather have medaled for his "native country of Somalia", whether that wouldn't have made the win more emotionally meaningful. Disapprove Surprised Dead

Don't you think he might have more upset by the verbing of a noun? I know he's a stickler for his grammar Smile

Well, that was my translation from the German, perhaps the German interviewer had better English skills when he originally asked Smile Farah's answer was something like "WTF? No! I'm British!"

pretty obvious that she knew (or was prompted) that he is a runner but had no idea WHO he is or what is resume is.

I'm guessing that interview won't be in her highlight package as a best interview.

nothing to see here.  

Priceless.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

ultramarathon/triathlete

What's worse is that she says, without apparently realizing the double entendre:

"We have, the male winner, Mo Farah, to tell us about his amazing feat."

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Why is it sideways?

What's worse is that she says, without apparently realizing the double entendre:

"We have, the male winner, Mo Farah, to tell us about his amazing feat."

You gotta think that the writers were having a little fun with that.

By the way, I thought she was asking him if he'd run the New Orleans half before, not if he'd run at all before.

MrH

I think you would welcome a double Olympic gold medalist to your city if you had any clue.

"So Mr Bryant, you scored 81 points. Was this your first time playing? Do you have any other games coming up?"

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You gotta think that the writers were having a little fun with that.

By the way, I thought she was asking him if he'd run the New Orleans half before, not if he'd run at all before.

+1...While she was clearly not up to speed on the whole running thing, I think she just in-eloquently asked if he had done that particular race before.

The best part of the interview, in my view, was when he said that he needed way more training before he'd even consider a marathon.  That really sheds some light on how inadequate my own training was for my first.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn