Heart rate traing. (Read 253 times)

Adam Gentile

+1.

4 runs week. 3 at HR. 1 speedwork.Re-read the stickies or the book (maff forum).

PS: After checking your log,Maff training would probably benefit you. Your mileage is low(<18 mpw/ running 3-4 days).Maf training builds aerobic system.

I know I low mileage runner, have been for years.  Anyways can you do MAF part-time?  For example if I do one run at MAF level a week, can that possible help?

BeeRunB

Heart rate training is simple: getting faster at the same heart rate. You have HR zones for different type of runs. What these zones are depends on whether or not you're following someone's method or not—you can make your own. You can establish HR zones for aerobic runs, tempos, intervals, and recovery. Some race with HRM's. Some athletes use the HRM just for recovery runs to make sure they stay at the proper intensity. But it still all comes back to this: are you getting faster at the same HR?

If you're not getting faster at the same lower aerobic HR from your training (like an MAF, or about 65-70% MHR), then that means your aerobic system is not responding to your training. SInce you're using predominantly Type 1 aerobic fibers, these lower  intensities give you a better indicator of how your aerobic system is doing. If the pace at the same HR is getting worse, that usually means there is too much total stress on your body and mind (high mental stress is an aerobic system killer) and you might be heading for a break down of some kind (injury, sickness, OT). Adjustments in training might be needed to get back on track. If you're progressing and feeling good, then keep to your training.

I've always liked that the HRM took the guesswork out of how hard to train. A tempo run at 90% MHR in the winter is one thing, and much different in 80º+ weather. Running the same training run at the same speed in 85º as in 55º is a much higher training load. The HRM will keep you at the right ballpark intensity.

Adam Gentile

Heart rate training is simple: getting faster at the same heart rate. You have HR zones for different type of runs. What these zones are depends on whether or not you're following someone's method or not—you can make your own. You can establish HR zones for aerobic runs, tempos, intervals, and recovery. Some race with HRM's. Some athletes use the HRM just for recovery runs to make sure they stay at the proper intensity. But it still all comes back to this: are you getting faster at the same HR?

If you're not getting faster at the same lower aerobic HR from your training (like an MAF, or about 65-70% MHR), then that means your aerobic system is not responding to your training. SInce you're using predominantly Type 1 aerobic fibers, these lower  intensities give you a better indicator of how your aerobic system is doing. If the pace at the same HR is getting worse, that usually means there is too much total stress on your body and mind (high mental stress is an aerobic system killer) and you might be heading for a break down of some kind (injury, sickness, OT). Adjustments in training might be needed to get back on track. If you're progressing and feeling good, then keep to your training.

I've always liked that the HRM took the guesswork out of how hard to train. A tempo run at 90% MHR in the winter is one thing, and much different in 80º+ weather. Running the same training run at the same speed in 85º as in 55º is a much higher training load. The HRM will keep you at the right ballpark intensity.

Great break down, thank you.

Ginsling

Slowpoke

Thanks Jimmy - this is a neat explanation and a good memory jogger Smile

Everydog

I am trying something new with HR training.  First off I should say that I only want to race 5k and under. My races indicate faster training times than I can keep at reasonable effort because I am a big runner. 6'5 190-195. My mile is under 6:00 and my 5k  has been near 21 minutes, but my heart rate creeps up too high even  even at 10-11 mins per mile on flat ground and slower in hills, again I think this is because I weight 195. I I try to run a program at calculated training paces steady state I crash pretty fast, a matter of weeks.  So i feel like I don't get the proper exercise to improve with all that slogging for long and easy runs. Even for tempos, I am over  150 BPM at just 8:30 which calculators show as near my easy pace.  My max is  not higher than 180  at 54 y.o. I think it's a little lower based on self tests and confirmation from those formulas that no one likes!

So  I am doing some of my longer runs and easy runs at calculated paces, but walking my HR down to about 110  when it starts to get into a range that suggests a stressful workout( takes a minute or so). Sort of like Maffettone base, but for more kinds of runs. I am anxious to see how this goes. Mostly watching for recovery quality any signs of fatigue. I am happy to actually be running on these days, even if I take walk breaks. I am hoping that this  will condition my body and mind for racing short fast races and hard workouts better than the slogging does.

Today I did more than an hour going between 8:30 (calculated easy pace) getting HR to 142 and walking my HR down and starting over. It felt great. I did 5x strides after.

A.Blinkin

College distance runner here. Our coach has us wear heart rate monitors for all of our runs, and has specific ranges dictated for each run, depending on what we're trying to get out of it. Basically, 135-145 is aerobic base training. This is easy pace, what we do the majority of our distance runs at. You should be able to talk very easily, and the effort is minimal.

Twice a week we have long runs at 155-165. This is far from anaerobic training, but it's not an easy long run. You're breathing hard and couldn't carry on a conversation. Workouts usually have us averaging something like 175-180, peaking around 190.

That should give you a good idea about what heartrate equals what effort level. We have 4 days where the runs are 135-145, 2 days where the runs are 155-165, and one workout day (for summer training, anyways).

I've always found heartrate monitors beneficial because they make you very aware of what your effort level is. If you're cooling down from a workout, or are doing a recovery run the day after a workout, running in the lower zone makes sure you're not running too hard and that you're getting the recovery you need. It also can help you make sure your effort level is high enough during a workout, or a good, hard long run. You can never have too much information about your body!