Duct Tape (Read 626 times)

As a professional musician, I had known for years the magic qualities of duct tape but had never thought to apply it to my body until reading about it on this site. Well, there was that one time in college, but that was a long time ago and everyone was pretty drunk and....I just don't really want to think about that right now! Happy place, happy place. Anyway.....how are you guys applying it? Little bandaid kind of squares or wrapping it around the entire foot? Do you go ahead and go up the leg like taping a bat? That's how I'm doing it and now my ankles are bald. ;-)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've only used it over a raw spot I had on my heel from a great pair of shoes that didn't get along with my right foot. I put a blister pad on the raw spot, then duct tape over that. I don't know how you'd do it in an area with hair...maybe shave first? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

As a professional musician, I had known for years the magic qualities of duct tape but had never thought to apply it to my body until reading about it on this site. Well, there was that one time in college, but that was a long time ago and everyone was pretty drunk and....I just don't really want to think about that right now! Happy place, happy place. Anyway.....how are you guys applying it? Little bandaid kind of squares or wrapping it around the entire foot? Do you go ahead and go up the leg like taping a bat? That's how I'm doing it and now my ankles are bald. ;-)
        Dude - you're funny. I know funny, and you're it. Bravo. Big grin Out of curiosity ... what do you play? Or what kind of music? Got a CD? For God's sake, man, market yourself. As for the duct tape: well, it is indeed magical and can usually fix anything. But how exactly are you using it? Like - for ankle support? Because you hate hairy legs? What? (Only use I've ever heard for it came from Dean Karnazes story of his first Western States 100 - he had a horrible blister with many many miles to go ... so they slit the blister, used Super Glue to glue the flaps of skin back together, and slapped duct tape on it. How cool is that?)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Thank you! :-) I do try to entertain. I am a sax player. Been out of the biz for about ten years and just getting back into it. I play piano and am learning guitar, but mostly my guitar just sits there in the corner and mocks me. Part of the reason I run so damn much. It's unnerving to be mocked by something with a whammy bar. I am using the duct tape (in this particular application) for blister prevention. I've also tried it, coupled with wax, for body hair removal but after only a couple of "Kelly Clarksons" I had to quit. 40 year old virgin fans know what I'm talking about. The rest of you can just go ahead and assume I'm nuts. My Ex certainly does. "... so they slit the blister, used Super Glue to glue the flaps of skin back together, and slapped duct tape on it..." Are you sure that was Dean Karnazes and wasn't a scene from Saw? :-O I'm mostly just curious if I am doing it right or not? If I use a small strip, it ends up floating around in my sock. If I wrap it completely around my foot, then that invariably leads to winding it half way up my leg. Just don't know when to stop. Is the rib cage too high? If I keep going and cover my entire body, I can pretend I'm the Silver Surfer. You see my predicament, right?
          JakeKnight

It's unnerving to be mocked by something with a whammy bar .... I'm mostly just curious if I am doing it right or not? If I use a small strip, it ends up floating around in my sock. If I wrap it completely around my foot, then that invariably leads to winding it half way up my leg. Just don't know when to stop. Is the rib cage too high? If I keep going and cover my entire body, I can pretend I'm the Silver Surfer. You see my predicament, right?
            He said whammy bar. That's funny. As for the duct tape - have you tried any slightly less adhesive methods of blister control? (I said less adhesive. That's funny). Where are you getting the blisters? Are you using some two-ply running socks? (I can't run without 'em now). If you insist on mummifying yourself in duct tape, I'd assume stopping below the groinal region would be a good idea. (I said groinal. That's funny). Any higher, and you'll be Kelly Clarksoning like never before. How about stopping at the ankle?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

My hubby often guides hiking tours, and duct tape is one of his favorites for blister protection. And yes, he advises to to apply just a slightly rounded square to the most vulnerable spots on your feet (either before the hike/run, or when you feel sore during a hike....)

Running in Belgium
              Ann

...apply just a slightly rounded square....)
                Ahhhhh! Super. This is going to save me a fortune in duct tape. I guess wrapping ones self up to and including the groinal region is really just nuts. Big grin
                Scout7

Big fan of duct tape for injuries, although I generally use it for after I get them. Anyhoo, it depends on where the blister is. My feet sweat. A lot. More than any normal human's feet would, so regular bandages do nothing but cause more problems for me. Hence the duct tape. I usually pop said blister (if not gone already), put bandage over it, then wrap in duct tape. I try not to leave too much in the way of an edge where I know there's going to be pressure with the shoe (again, that causes problems as well). So far, so good.

You'll ruin your knees!

Thank you! :-) I do try to entertain. I am a sax player. Been out of the biz for about ten years and just getting back into it. I play piano and am learning guitar, but mostly my guitar just sits there in the corner and mocks me. Part of the reason I run so damn much. It's unnerving to be mocked by something with a whammy bar. I am using the duct tape (in this particular application) for blister prevention. I've also tried it, coupled with wax, for body hair removal but after only a couple of "Kelly Clarksons" I had to quit. 40 year old virgin fans know what I'm talking about. The rest of you can just go ahead and assume I'm nuts. My Ex certainly does. "... so they slit the blister, used Super Glue to glue the flaps of skin back together, and slapped duct tape on it..." Are you sure that was Dean Karnazes and wasn't a scene from Saw? :-O I'm mostly just curious if I am doing it right or not? If I use a small strip, it ends up floating around in my sock. If I wrap it completely around my foot, then that invariably leads to winding it half way up my leg. Just don't know when to stop. Is the rib cage too high? If I keep going and cover my entire body, I can pretend I'm the Silver Surfer. You see my predicament, right?
                    Order the book "Fixing Your Feet"...everything you want to know about blister prevention and repair! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)