DNS (Read 547 times)

Finished!

*sniff* It was going to be my first HM too. For those following the saga, I was forced into a ridiculous "taper" at the end of last month when some horrendous shin splints got me. I evaluated my shoes, my stretching, took some time "off" and then started in on "active rest" by visiting with mr. stationary bike, mr. ostrich machine (the elliptical trainer - and wouldn't you know it, not all ellipticals are the same), and misters Dreadmill 1(treadmill) and Dreadmill 2 (Stepmill). I recently tried an easy pace on the treadmill and while the shin splints didn't appear in the half hour I had allotted, my ankle was feeling not quite right - I finally hied myself in to go see a doctor today and I've been prescribed several visits to the physical therapist for the next 4 weeks. They don't think I've broken anything, rather they think I've done something to what is apparently considered a portion of the calf (even tho it is the front side of my leg, the discomfort is not in the very front - but along the inside) I was also told that to attempt the HM would be folly and I would be risking damaging myself further. This was *not* how I planned on beginning 2007. I don't think I'll be re-registering for the one I am missing out on - even tho they have a nice medal - I think I'd rather attempt Trent's crazy Monkey Marathon Wink While I appreciate the fact that plenty of work and preparation goes into planning and executing a race, I think it is not so nice of the race director to not allow deferrals especially considering I offered to volunteer and pay any extra "deferral" fee, and I feel I gave adequate warning - it's not like I am waking up the day of and deciding I can't run. There was no language regarding no refunds on the mail in registration, nor could I find any on the site (on the occasion that the runner needs to withdraw). Ah well, the good news is I'll hopefully be much better prepared for whatever race actually turns out to be my first HM Big grin
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      With all the extra training time under your belt, you will be that much stronger when you finally do get to do your 1st HM. Hope you heal quickly. Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Sorry to hear that. But if you can be strong and healthy again in 4 weeks, then it's worth it rather than suffering all season. Sorry about the money too. I hated that I lost $50 on my DNS... I pick my races carefully of just ones that I want to do. Money doesn't grow on trees in grad school apparently. Shocked Come join us in the On The Bench club. We can all make up a recovery chant Wink
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Bummer! Heal up soon! Black eye

Roads were made for journeys...

bas

*hands tissue to woodlandsprite* That is a shame! And I'm sure the money is not the most important part of it. Of course, like in my case, the decision not to start will have prevented you from making your injury worse. So in that respect it's a good thing you did not start. But do we want a good thing? No, we want to race! And so we will. Keep up, don't let the mr. machines get you down and make sure you get well.You will be back! bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Your health is the most important thing, especially while you still have the sanity to step out of a race. That will one day pass. Wink The main reason RDs may not allow deferrals is because there is a cost to put on the race, and your registration may keep out another runner who would have paid. That said, if the race is not capped, the RD should try to permit deferrals of some sort. And yep, you have 'til November to heal in time for the Monkey Wink Registration opens August 1 Evil grin

Finished!

Gah! Well, now my tendinitis is acting up (too much typing on RA? Wink ) and the nurse at work has put me on ibuprofen 4x/day whether I think I need it or not (and ice too) Of course, at the rate I'm consuming Ibuprofen, I may well not be feeling any discomfort in my legs...my brain says DNS - my heart says whoo hoo! Drugs! Run Run Run!
                Walk + Jog = wog.
                I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry