Boston vs. New York (Read 248 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

For anyone who has ever had the "pleasure" of being a visitor driving in Boston.

Ex runner

Feeling the growl again

I would still rather drive my personal car in Boston...I've seen how people drive in NY.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Reggie is right below the second O in Boston.

Runners run

TJoseph

Isn't that what these are for?

bhearn

I thought this was going to be a question about comparing the marathons.

But yeah. This has been making the rounds. I have never gotten so lost as when I moved to Boston and tried to navigate. I have a perfect internal compass; I always know which direction I'm pointing. But not in Boston.

That looks like an awfully big watch to run with.

Isn't that what these are for?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

Reggie is right below the second O in Boston.

Well hell, that's all I needed to know...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

TJoseph

That looks like an awfully big watch to run with.

I did get lost running in Tokyo once (Shinjuku).  There were so many tall buildings, I couldn't see the hotel where I started from.  I used my 305 to find my way back.  It has a map mode that doesn't actually show any roads.  It showed a dot where the hotel was that I started from and I worked my way back towards it.

Queen of 3rd Place

I would still rather drive my personal car in Boston...I've seen how people drive in NY.

Taken a road trip to Philadelphia yet? Whole new set of rules.

Ex runner

Feeling the growl again

Taken a road trip to Philadelphia yet? Whole new set of rules.

Yes, I don't recall it being so bad.

Now the worst I've ever seen is London, simply from a street perspective.  I literally could not run out of this one little neighborhood because the tiny streets went in random directions, buildings were so close together that I couldn't see any landmarks for reference, and every 5 minutes I found myself back where I had started.  But since the layout was likely designed by random in like 1123 AD I can understand.

PDoe

Shoot. I thought we were talking baseball already.

Driving in Roxbury (shown in the original post) and parking at Reggie Lewis? I'm okay with that.

I live just outside Boston and still prefer driving in NYC than downtown Boston.

In case any of you haven't been inside Reggie Lweis, here's a look from the stands (most definitely NOT from one of my Tuesday night workouts there; they're doing the 3000m at a faster pace than I do my 200s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlNVwl5ozw

I'm actually impressed by the method behind the madness when I drive in NYC. Just understand that anyone behind the wheel of a taxi is trying to kill you, and you're fine.

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

I thought this was going to be sports-related (Sox vs. Yankees, NYG vs. Pats, etc).

Anyway, Boston is a clusterf*ck. I know I lived just outside of it for a year. Every time I knew I was going to be driving in Boston my traps and neck tightened right up! I haven't driven in NYC for a long time. But bottomline.....I wouldn't want to drive in either place!

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

DW and I once rode bicycles through downtown Boston.  We are still alive.