Mapping Bug - Remove last point after reverse route (Read 841 times)

Hi Eric and everyone else reading this, I am using Explorer 6.0 with Windows XP (I think). When I reverse the direction of my map and then try to remove the last few points (to extend it for example), it seems to reverse the route back to the original and then remove the last point. I have been able to get around this with the new, much appreciated and used map-editor. But Eric always says to let him know when there is a problem, so here it is. Wink Also, I feel like in the past when I would edit a course and change the title, it would save as a new map. It is now saving over the old one. I can also get around this by first copying the map, but I am not sure if this is a new feature or my imagination. Thanks!
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, Eric... Sounds like you've got another beta tester here...

Roads were made for journeys...

eric :)

Hello abbaroodle,
        When I reverse the direction of my map and then try to remove the last few points (to extend it for example), it seems to reverse the route back to the original and then remove the last point. I have been able to get around this with the new, much appreciated and used map-editor. But Eric always says to let him know when there is a problem, so here it is. Wink
        I hate to say it, but this is by design. With the latest changes, the map keeps track of your change history. That's how it does that smart undo stuff. The down side is that the undo information is lost when you save the map. It is akin to opening a saved Word document. All the change information from the last time you opened it is lost. Before all this smart undo business, the map just blindly removes the last point, which isn't all that cool. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but in node editing mode, you can delete a point by clicking on its node. You can also add a new node by clicking on the line between two nodes. By the way, a node is that boxy thing when you switch over to editing mode.
        Also, I feel like in the past when I would edit a course and change the title, it would save as a new map. It is now saving over the old one. I can also get around this by first copying the map, but I am not sure if this is a new feature or my imagination.
        This is not a new feature. It has always been like this. I did found a bug introduced by the new map editor yesterday. I'm not telling you what it is if you don't know it, although it's something Trent might see pretty often. I'm not telling him either. Anyway, it's a fairly minor bug with a very easy fix. If you notice anything else that's peculiar, let me know, regardless of whether it's a bug or not. eric Smile
          Aahhh, I see, not a bug, a feature. Big grin So if I reverse my map and then save it, can I then edit it and remove the last point? Or will it flip back again? Also glad to hear I have an active imagination. I will try remember to copy my maps first so I dont have to keep going back and redoing things. Roll eyes I did know that about the nodes - good tip to go with the great feature. I havent tried out the new version (I dont think!) since yesterday. Besides, why would I map frequently - I have Trent to do it for me. All I have to do is post and within hours, sometimes minutes, a RA map appears. Mapgeeks are good folks to have as friends Wink

Aahhh, I see, not a bug, a feature. Big grin
            See! This is why I hate to say it, because people always reinterpret it this way. Sad Seriously though, the undo information is only valid for when you're editing the map. When you leave the page, all that information is lost. As I said before, it's akin to closing a Word document. You don't expect Word to retain all your undo information afterwards and the same thing applies here.
            So if I reverse my map and then save it, can I then edit it and remove the last point? Or will it flip back again?
            When there is no undo information (like when you open an existing map), it reverts back to the dumb mode of blindly removing the last point. So after you reopen an existing map, when you click the undo button, the last point is pointed to by the finish marker (the red one). Alternatively, and this is probably easier, is to put it into node editing mode (the one with the little boxes on each point on the line), and simply click on the node that you want to delete.
            I did know that about the nodes - good tip to go with the great feature. I havent tried out the new version (I dont think!) since yesterday. Besides, why would I map frequently - I have Trent to do it for me. All I have to do is post and within hours, sometimes minutes, a RA map appears. Mapgeeks are good folks to have as friends Wink
            You just gave away your secret. Now I know who to go to for quality maps ;-)
              See! This is why I hate to say it, because people always reinterpret it this way. Sad
              Sorry, Eric. I was just giving you a hard time. It actually makes sense when you explain why it is a feature. And I definately have had times I wished there was a smart-undo before when I had to remove 50 last points when I reversed, so I am sure I will use it soon.
              You just gave away your secret. Now I know who to go to for quality maps ;-)
              So I actually tested this out: Question: how long does it take Trent to make customized maps. See this thread for a more complete answer, but the short version is 12 minutes! Sort of. http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/timrock/vpost?id=1542379 Dang, now I think I just gave away my identity. Oh well. So much anonymity anyway.

Sorry, Eric. I was just giving you a hard time. It actually makes sense when you explain why it is a feature. And I definately have had times I wished there was a smart-undo before when I had to remove 50 last points when I reversed, so I am sure I will use it soon.
                That's quite alright. Someone needs to keep me in check every once in a while, and mind as well be you instead of some meanie Big grin
                So I actually tested this out: Question: how long does it take Trent to make customized maps. See this thread for a more complete answer, but the short version is 12 minutes! Sort of. http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/timrock/vpost?id=1542379 Dang, now I think I just gave away my identity. Oh well. So much anonymity anyway.
                I don't understand how Trent can find time to do so much!