?? for those who have used Galloway (Read 1535 times)

Feeling the growl again

Dude. C'mon. Dude. Seriously. Dude. Look, you're obviously a talented runner - maybe the most talented among us. I'm sure you're also a swell guy. I'll bet you're kind to children and play a wicked harmonica. But ... dude. You just spent a paragraph semantically dissecting your use of an offensive word (offensive to some, anyway, even if not to me), while informing someone that you were going to "provide them an education" and simultaneously ridiculing - your words - their training program. The funny thing is, I agree with you on the substance of your comments, as far as the training goes. But, dude ... just, dude. Read what you wrote. Really read it. Would you appreciate it directed at you? How about when I check here in the morning, you've deleted this post and tried again? Or else I'm posting more stuff about turtles. And emus. Don't make me pull out the emu.
      Jake, I didn't delete a post so I don't know what you are referring to there. I edited some typos while I was still logged in entering the post but I didn't delete any posts. Maybe that's what you saw. As for an offensive word, #1, as you mention, it's offensive to SOME. You'll just have to forgive me if I get a little irritated over having to spend more time talking about a word SOME may find offensive, though it was not referring to that population, instead of talking about running. People get offended at everything these days. Frankly I'm sick of it and so far this site, from my perspective, had been FREE of trolls just looking to pick a fight. One big advantage over CR. It was refreshing. I wasn't happy to get drawn into one in the first dozen or so threads I participated in. They weren't intended to appreciate my post any more than they must have intended for me to appreciate theirs and go off on this useless and off subject tangent. This is closed for me. As I said, this site seems to be relatively free of this garbage and I'm not going to add to it. I never said Galloway was bad for everyone and everything. That is not what I believe. I am sure it is GREAT for newer runners and getting them into the sport. I have started 2 coworkers on Couch to 5K within the past 6 months and they are doing GREAT. Where I depart from the bandwagon is when it is used to take someone from couch to marathon in quick fashion. I just had a coworker arrange lunch with me Monday to talk about running. They are 50 and approached me saying "I've got this race I want to do in October and I just started running 2 weeks ago after 30 years of relative inactivity and I want your help." I replied "Please tell me this is not a marathon because you'll have to find someone else. If I train you in that timeframe for a marathon and something bad happens, like at Chicago this year, I AM RESPONSIBLE." They replied, "I'm not crazy, it's a 5K!" So we worked out a plan to get him running farther and faster. Two days later he reports that he went from a max run of 1.2 miles to 2 miles already as a result of that talk. The point is, in this case, I was able to use a non-walk program and from knowing the guy I knew this was important due to what motivates him. I am sure for others, especially if weight is a concern, walking would be a good option to include, at least at first. However, in neither case do I view this as marathon preparation. I wholeheartedly applaud any strategy that gets someone running but there is more to running than marathons. Incidently, I don't know if it's in his books or not but he has made comments that even elites can benefit from walk breaks, and if he was still elite he'd use them. He's claimed people have set sub-2:30 PRs using his plan. Yet in a Galloway-specific forum when his "handlers" were asked to produce any evidence of these sub-2:30s BY ONE OF HIS OWN FANS in order to silence the debate, they could not and quickly quit posting on the subject. I have no problems with the plan in its place, but this struck me as dishonest and slimy marketing and I HATE slimy marketing. 30 minutes and I STILL don't have rock hard abs....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Incidently, I don't know if it's in his books or not but he has made comments that even elites can benefit from walk breaks, and if he was still elite he'd use them. He's claimed people have set sub-2:30 PRs using his plan. Yet in a Galloway-specific forum when his "handlers" were asked to produce any evidence of these sub-2:30s BY ONE OF HIS OWN FANS in order to silence the debate, they could not and quickly quit posting on the subject. I have no problems with the plan in its place, but this struck me as dishonest and slimy marketing and I HATE slimy marketing.
        You might be interested in the "Galloway Whopper Watch" section of Scott Douglas' website at http://www.scottdouglas.biz/whopperwatch.htm. Foir anyone who doesn't know who Scott Douglas is, he's co-author with Pete Pfitzinger of "Advanced Marathoning", which just may be today's preeminent guide to marathoning. For the original poster, sure it is "possible" for your friend to use Galloway's program (including buidling the long run to 26 miles), skip the walk breaks, and complete the marathon. As Nobby said, his wife did something similar. However, it is not without increased risk of injury. The walk breaks during long runs temper the stress of Galloway's extreme long run distances on relatively untrained legs resulting from low mileage the rest of the week. Including or excluding walk breaks is more a matter of risk management than of final performance. Concerning the benefit of Galloway's run/walk philosophy, his method is good for novice marathoners and for more experienced marathoners who cannot or will not pace a marathon properly without walk breaks. However, it will not produce the fastest marathon that one should be capable of running. The walk breaks build in a degree of conservatism which inherently reduces the risk of over-pacing the race and experiencing a late race crash. OTOH, that same conservatism results in a slightly less than optimal race performance. It comes down to whether one is looking for increased probability of a good race with reduced risk of slamming hard into the wall, or prefers to test the limits of an optimal race with a traditional and more aggressive approach. For a lot more comments, see the Gallowalking section of my Running Page at http://www.jim2.net/.
          MTA: Spaniel, many agree with your sentiment; Galloway's method is not likely the best way to pull a PR and may lead to injury by giving folks confidence before ability. But it IS a great way to get folks moving, to transition folks from inactivity to activity and to give them excitement about completing a goal. Respect the marathon distance? YES. Amen. It is an anti-physiologic task. To do it requires either inhuman effort or little tricks (such as the Galloway method). But that does not mean that everybody attempting it must take the HTFU route to the finish line. And all us 4+ hour marathoners pay for the event so that the 3- hour marathoners can collect their prize money, have loads of 'thons from which to chose and can enjoy closed roads and good course support (all of which cost quite a bit of money). Is Galloway for me? Naw, probably not. And I have suffered unscheduled walking at more than one marathon attempt. But that does not mean Galloway is not for my rational and intelligent neighbor.
          Amen. As a former runner who lapsed into laziness for a number of years, and then regained consciousness to physical fitness, this method was heaven sent. I've been back on the road for a year now, completing a HM in month 9. This year's goal is my first marathon - wish me luck. My point is, I don't follow the Galloway method strictly anymore, and I really don't walk for any run 5 miles or under at this time. But - it's kept me injury free, helped me build my base, and taught me a few things along the way. If you don't like it... don't do it. To each his own. To the elite runners out there - you are a running role model to me. I'll never approach your times, but I can respect the hell out of what you do and the sacrifices you make. To the "mere mortals" out there - if you are ahead of me, I will eventually catch you... or I'll have a really good workout trying. To those behind me - You are an inspiration to me to keep my turnover quick and my steps light. If I see you on the road, I'll wave to you. Please return the kindness. We're all runners.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Galloway aside and all the pros and cons. I'm not a fan of Galloway.The most important point is that you are getting out and looking after your fitness. That is main goal. Have fun. Cheers