Cooking a turkey (Read 619 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

First time this year that the families are coming to our house, and I am cooking. I have never cooked one and am a bit nervous. Any advice or secrets?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Use a meat thermometer and take it out when it hits between 165 and 170. Also, using an oven bag helps in keeping it most and from it browning too much. Also, when you go to carve it. Let it cool. A hot bird will just shred when you put the knife to it.
        Invest in a decent turket roasting pan. The aluminium ones are shite. Step 1: If using a frozen turkey, thaw in its original plastic wrapper in the fridge. Allow for 5 hours per pound. Quicker method: Cover the turkey with cold water (the sink is a good place for this), changing every 30 minutes; allow 1 hour per pound (500 g). A word to the wise, fresh tastes better. Step 2: Prepare the turkey by removing giblets and neck. Rinse and wipe the cavity; sprinkle with salt and pepper or stuff lightly using skewers to fasten skin over the cavity. Step 3: Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan. Brush with melted butter or oil. Tent loosely with foil. Roast in 325F (160C) oven for about 20 minutes per pound (500 g) or until juices run clear when turkey is pierced and when thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180F (82C) for a stuffed turkey or 170F (77C) for an unstuffed turkey. Remove tent for last hour of roasting. Step 4: When turkey is done, transfer to warm platter. Tent with foil and let stand for 20 - 60 minutes. This allows time for juices at the surface of the bird to distribute evenly throughout the meat. Step 5: Carve turkey. Eat and enjoy!

Lazy idiot

Look up brining techniques somewhere on the Trenternet. I've never had a better tasting, more moist turkey than when we brined ours. Good luck, Eddy!

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Brine it. Bake it with a biscuit crust covering the entire thing. Once the biscuit crust is cooked, remove it (and snack on it).

Head Procrastinator

I think 20 minutes a pound for a stuffed turkey and 15 for an unstuffed one. Most people overcook turkey and the breast is way too dry. I like to cook breast side down for an hour but it is hard to turn over. I use clean kitchen towels to flip it. Don't forget to take the bag with the giblets out Smile
              ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
              btb1490

Be careful if you deep fry it! http://www.ul.com/turkeyfryers/fryer.mpg
                mood

We "invested" in an electric knife this year. MUCH easier than with hacking away with a me powered knife. Plus its a power tool.
                    Use a meat thermometer and take it out when it hits between 165 and 170. Also, using an oven bag helps in keeping it most and from it browning too much. Also, when you go to carve it. Let it cool. A hot bird will just shred when you put the knife to it.
                    I agree...I really like using the roasting bag. And letting it cool is important, my impatience always gets the best of me and I carve it too soon and it does indeed shred. Sad

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh. And corn bread stuffing. Duh.

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Just remember to remove the bag of giblets from the body cavity!!! My moron sister failed to do this the first time she "cooked" a turkey Dead I say moron, because she's the same girl that 'strained' her first homemade soup, into a colander in her sink!!!!!
                          Just remember to remove the bag of giblets from the body cavity!!! My moron sister failed to do this the first time she "cooked" a turkey Dead
                          Call me a moron...I did that once before too!!! Blush

Michelle

Call me a moron...I did that once before too!!! Blush
                            Moron. I only say that because I did it too. Blush

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?