yoga resources (Read 2169 times)

My favorite video is Shiva Rea's Solar Flow Yoga (which is also on another DVD called Yoga Shakti), which has a neat "yoga matrix" feature you can use to put together a practice. The harder segments are really hard - and this comes from someone with about four years of yoga experience and a gymnastics/martial arts background. However, the easy segments aren't that hard to pick up. I also like Bryan Kest's Power Yoga for the workout - the guy talks A LOT and I crack up every time I see the guy on the screen with cut-off jean shorts and 80s metal hair. Both are available from Netflix. Netflix has a pile of other yoga/workout videos too.
      I have also ordered alot from gaiam.com & like their stuff. I use the power yoga series, but started on the yoga for beginners stuff & still use it when I'm in a time crunch. I'm a Rodney Yee fan. He has alot of movement, doesn't hold his positions for too long & does an excellent job of talking you through positions & getting you to focus your mind & body. He is great if you are just starting out in yoga & aren't sure if you are in the correct position.
      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, no. I can't do Rodney Yee DVD's at *all*. See... he's just so gorgeous that I spend all my time looking at him instead of trying to do the yoga... Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

mformby

I'm not sure if I can be much help. But I practice yoga daily. Between running and yoga my body has completely transformed. I'm built better now at 26 (after baby) than I ever was, even as a competitive gymnast. I started out about two years ago Tivo'ing a show on the Oxygen network called Inhale. It is a mixture of vinyasa and ashtanga styles which is more like power yoga. It mainly works flexability and strength in the legs. I swear by it. I had an MRI down on my left knee and discovered I had torn cartilidge (spelling) I didn't want to get it stitched up because of recovery time, so the doc suggested yoga. In about 1 month the pain was gone. I have not felt a pain (knock on wood) in my knee for 9 months now. I'm going on my first yoga retreat in two weeks and I so excited. I never would have thought of myself as having a yogi-personality but...whatever works!!!
          How many times a week do you practice yoga? I am trying to find a balance between running, weight training at the gym, and yoga and I'm not sure really how to get all of that together. Also, let us know how that retreat goes, I am really interested in trying something like that myself.

madness baby

I have one that hurt me the first few times I did it but I've lost the DVD twice and my husband gave me a 3rd copy of it for my birthday. He loves how I love it, even though I'm completely irresponsible and keep leaving it in hotel rooms when I travel. Ugh. Anyhow, to the point, it's Crunch The Perfect Yoga Workout. I like my yoga to be more movement and not just poses, so I like the fat-burning yoga section more than the joy of yoga section. And, surprisingly, the instructor is not annoying, which you can't say about many yoga DVDs. I am not a Rodney Yee fan! Also I have Shiva Rea's yoga that sistinas recommended coming on Netflix this week. Thanks sistinas!
            deb
              For me, yoga really helps my muscles get less sore faster, and it's almost addicting as running...almost. I really love the MTV dvds for a modern take on yoga, and for people who like the workout but not so much the spirituality part of it...and for those who like to sweat. I also like Ali McGraw's yoga dvd, it's older but it's very basic and soothing. She isn't annoying to listen to, either. One thing I would say not to get is GAIAM's Rodney Yee's yoga for athletes. The running part is just a chair with basic stretches for hamstrings and quads. Hope this helps! Smile
              Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."

madness baby

I really love the MTV dvds for a modern take on yoga, and for people who like the workout but not so much the spirituality part of it...and for those who like to sweat.
                That sounds great to me. If I were to get one, which one would you recommend? Thanks Kate!
                deb
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have one of the MTV ones...that baby HURTS!!! It's very fast-paced (for yoga, anyhow, LOL) and you will work up a sweat, though. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I agree about the Rodney Yee DVD for runners - too much chair, not enough lying down for me! I used the power yoga series by Rodney though, there's one that's 3 workouts (or you can do them all at once for a good sweat) - stamina, strength and flexibility. Each one's 20 minutes which I can fit into my morning schedule pretty easily! For me, the greatest benefit of yoga is the stress reduction. I can sleep so much better now, just doing some stretching and breathing before bed...sounds dumb but it is amazing.
                    1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
                      I love the Rodney Yee for Athelete; the modifications really protect you from over-stretching. Once I felt through with that, though, I found a VodCast called Yoga Today that is really good. They just had one for Beginners this week. Totally free, new class everyday and that way you can never get tired of it. For the open level classes, though, I'd recommend some knowledge of poses. You can get the Yoga Deck for help with that.
                      2008 Goals
                    • Run 1250 miles
                    • Get down to 135!
                    • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
                    • Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My kids have a yoga book for kiddos with cartoon characters. It is a really cute book and a lot of fun watching them try to get into the poses. I need to find out the name...
                        Jill_B

I fly.

I'm a big fan of Crunch Gym's Yoga DVDs (The Cardio Yoga and the Candlelight Yoga are 2 of the ones that I really like.) They don't get boring and I think they are pretty good.

Bring it on.

http://www.yogatoday.com/ Free hour long yoga class on your PC everyday.
                              Resurrection of this topic. I started to practice yoga about half a year ago (I'm 33y old). I was way too stiff and I had some lower back aches and my legs got numb at nights after long runs. I got tired of that and started stretching, first time in my life. Then I found yoga. I tried 5 different yoga DVDs and I settled to Tony Sanchez Yoga Challenge DVDs. I have only done Challenge I practice. I love Tony's program, because it really focuses on legs. My legs has got much stronger, my balance has improved a lot and I'm much more flexible then before. All my aches are gone and I feel much better during my runs. Nowadays I'm running 5 days per week and yoga 4 times per week (rest days plus 2 short run days). I will definitely continue to yoga. http://www.tonysanchezyoga.com/

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Anyone have a favorite yoga book or DVD?
                                Yep! I like Bryan Kest and Shiva Rae. Both are Ashtanga/Power Yoga teachers, and both have several DVDs available. Try Amazon or eBay.