I hope this is not a silly question (Read 296 times)

I was kind of hoping it would be a silly question.

i had high hopes for this question based on use of the word silly. Alas, not silly at all!

(also what everyone else said. It'll be fine, I'm sure.)

joescott

Or is this a rule that doesn't need to be followed to the letter?  Will my chip still work if my bib is under the jacket?

Q1:  Does not need to be followed to the letter.

Q2:  Yes, unless your jacket/throwaway shirt is made of aluminum foil, lead, gold or some other metal that acts as a Faraday cage.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

#artbydmcbride

This is exactly how I picture it happening!!  Big grin

Why even wear bib#'s in ultras? Doesn't everyone know each other? And by the end isn't everyone spaced way out?

"Hey who's that person a half mile from the finish?"

"Oh, I think that's Bob! Yes, it is Bob. Go Bob, you're almost there!"

<leisurely types "Bob" into the timing laptop>

<waits>

<waits>

<waits>

<clicks the finish button as Bob crosses somewhere in the vicinity of the finish "line".>

"Yay, Bob!"

Runners run

cmb4314

(actually, one guy did pin it to his nipples in a mtn race) 

*shudders*

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

*shudders*

Ah, those are typical pictures of the guy, even across the years (2001, 2008).

2008 Mt Marathon

2001? Mt. Marathon

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

<leisurely types "Bob" into the timing laptop>

you have a laptop?

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              mikeymike

you have a laptop?

Well the race timing guys always have one--at least at road races. I have no idea what they do at ultras...scribble the results on a piece of birch bark maybe?

Runners run

I think there was papyrus at the one ultra I've done.

Well the race timing guys always have one--at least at road races. I have no idea what they do at ultras...scribble the results on a piece of birch bark maybe?

Somewhat on the topic at hand, I've run a whole race before without a timing chip, as the volunteer forgot to give me one with my bib.  It just meant having to be coherent for a few extra seconds at the end of the race.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

Ah, those are typical pictures of the guy, even across the years (2001, 2008).

2008 Mt Marathon

2001? Mt. Marathon

It's actually a great look for this guy. Not sure I could pull it off, what with all of the blood and screaming and all.

bpink76

Y'all are hilarious.

2013 Goals:

5K: 25:00

10K: 52:00

Half: 2:00:00

So the weather forecast is looking very chilly for my HM this weekend.  I am planning to layer a throwaway shirt/jacket that I can ditch after the first couple miles.  The race rules require that my bib be visible at the start and finish.  How do I do this without repinning?  Or is this a rule that doesn't need to be followed to the letter?  Will my chip still work if my bib is under the jacket?

One more idea. Photocopy and bib and stick it on the throw away jacket as well. They only need to 'see' it during the start and finish, right? The real bib with the chip will still work under the jacket. At the finish the real bib will show up. This way no need to explain or worry that a technicality may work against you... although I don't think it would.

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog

CT JEFF

Hi - My 2cents.

Yes, the chip works fine under 1 layer of clothes, but when I went looking for my pictures, guess what the use to organize the pictures? Your name? no. The race I was in was only a 5K, started about 28 degrees and I ended up keeping my outer layer on the whole race. I ended up having to go through 1000 pics to find one of me. And it wasnt very good. Maybe the photographers know there is a small chance of you looking through all the photos. Also - remember this when you are posing in the beer garden or where ever else you see an official looking guy with a camera.

Lastly, my friend ran with me, without her bib. Since this wasnt a qualifier, it didnt matter too much to her, but she was able to figure out her time pretty closely by crossing with another friend.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!