On Wisconsin! (Read 2075 times)

obiebyke

I'm surprised to see no mention yet of the activities in Wisconsin. I just got back from protesting at the capitol building. Check NYTimes, MSNBC, BBC, or many other news organizations for a summary.

I saw an entire high school cross country team yesterday with signs that said, "Runners for unions."

Go Wisco!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

xor

Sorry, Seattle is too busy protesting the cop who shot and killed the native american woodcarver on the street and then got off w/o prosecution. (though he did resign yesterday)

All we've heard about is how the cop screwed up.  And he did.  And what he reported didn't exactly match up what the dash video recorded (mostly audio) or eyewitnesses.  It was dumb and didn't need to happen.  But what hasn't been reported is that the woodcarver dude was a mean drunk who was frequently drunk and frequently mean. On the street.  The kind of dude that you'd go waaay out of your way to miss.  Ugly on both sides.

obiebyke

Sorry, Seattle is too busy protesting the cop who shot and killed the native american woodcarver on the street and then got off w/o prosecution. (though he did resign yesterday)

Reh roh.

DoppleBock

I used to have a pension - 7 years ago the company did away with it - They were about 7 years after most manufacturing companies.  I have 2 choices for health insurance - To pay 50% of the cost of a 80/20 Co-pay with a $1,000 deductible or pay 20% of a 70/30 co-pay with a $2,000 deductible.  There is no early retirement health insurance.  This is what manufacturing companies have had to do to survive.  Heck even the Teamsters have stopped allowing you to retire before you reach retirement age.

So everyone in the state of WI (Generally - except state and federal employees) have had to either give up pension entirely or can not take early retirement.  They have had to bear the cost of an average of 30-50% of our own health insurance costs.  It has been that was for at least 5-15 years.

Unions had a time when they were a God sent to give people safe working enviroment, a relief from 16-20 hour days for no more pay etc.

Today - Government regulations from OSHA, The Civil Rights act (Fair employment and anit-dicrimination)  and rules on overtime # of consecutive days workes etc have taken controll to fill that gap.

Unions today are mostly wage and benefit based.  In this case they have done a great job for their members - letting them hold onto costly benefits for 5-15 extra years than the rest of us in the WI workforce.  The rest of us have experienced many wage/benefit net reductions (Mostly benefit, but sometimes both - Net less $ earned) during that same time.

WI is one of the highest taxed states

WI continues to lose its industry base to other states that have a lower tax cost

WI has one of the better public school systems in the country - Generally we have great educators.

In most areas in WI (Aside from inner city) for each job opening there are 40-400 qualified applicants - meaning there is a much larger supply of teachers than demand (# of jobs)

Teachers are one of the most valuable things (Law endorcement ++) that my state tax dollars go for as it helps me grow my most valuable assset - My kids.

Just my unorganized thoughts on the whole issue 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

MoBramExam

I used to have a pension - 7 years ago the company did away with it - They were about 7 years after most manufacturing companies.  I have 2 choices for health insurance - To pay 50% of the cost of a 80/20 Co-pay with a $1,000 deductible or pay 20% of a 70/30 co-pay with a $2,000 deductible.  There is no early retirement health insurance.  This is what manufacturing companies have had to do to survive.  Heck even the Teamsters have stopped allowing you to retire before you reach retirement age.

So everyone in the state of WI (Generally - except state and federal employees) have had to either give up pension entirely or can not take early retirement.  They have had to bear the cost of an average of 30-50% of our own health insurance costs.  It has been that was for at least 5-15 years.

Unions had a time when they were a God sent to give people safe working enviroment, a relief from 16-20 hour days for no more pay etc.

Today - Government regulations from OSHA, The Civil Rights act (Fair employment and anit-dicrimination)  and rules on overtime # of consecutive days workes etc have taken controll to fill that gap.

Unions today are mostly wage and benefit based.  In this case they have done a great job for their members - letting them hold onto costly benefits for 5-15 extra years than the rest of us in the WI workforce.  The rest of us have experienced many wage/benefit net reductions (Mostly benefit, but sometimes both - Net less $ earned) during that same time.

WI is one of the highest taxed states

WI continues to lose its industry base to other states that have a lower tax cost

WI has one of the better public school systems in the country - Generally we have great educators.

In most areas in WI (Aside from inner city) for each job opening there are 40-400 qualified applicants - meaning there is a much larger supply of teachers than demand (# of jobs)

Teachers are one of the most valuable things (Law endorcement ++) that my state tax dollars go for as it helps me grow my most valuable assset - My kids.

Just my unorganized thoughts on the whole issue 

A post that would assist "an entire cross country team" with some additional perspective.  

obiebyke

I don't know what "high" taxes in Wisconsin have to do with union busting.

And if those nearly 200,000 state workers lose nearly 10% of their take-home pay, you think the private sector will benefit? Seems to me everyone will suffer.

I absolutely don't think unions have become unnecessary.

The biggest problem here is that there IS NO BUDGET DEFICIT. At least, there wasn't. Walker gave over a hundred million to special interests in the first 6 weeks in office.

Economists say this bill will hurt all Wisconsinites. Constitutional scholars say there are huge legal problems with it.

I could go on an on.

Just thought I'd toss that cross country team in there for fun. Gotcha!

Well, the people of Wisconsin are paying those high taxes out of their own hard earned wages to provide benefit packages to their public employees that are out of line with what the average Wisconsinite gets.

It might surprise you to know that many, many people who've never been union represented and have had to negotiate their own deal for their entire careers and have at times, due to economic conditions, had to take major hits to their wages and benefits (as DB detailed) don't have a lot of sympathy for unions.  Many of them wish they'd only lost 10% of their take home pay over the last 3 years.

Runners run

DoppleBock

The town I live in is 20,000 people - We lost 2,000 high paying blue collar jobs in the last 3 years due to companies allocating their business to assets with a lower tax burden than WI - Its not just the 200,000 state workers - Its also all the retirees - I get to retire @ 67 with anything that I have been able to save ... meaning I will be a burden (SS if it still exists) on the American People for 12 years on average (My average life expectancy)  

In our area the avg school teacher makes $60,000 and has benefits that cost $30,000 - The people that have good office jobs in industry that make $60,000 have a benefit burden to the comapany of 25% of $15,000. 

Think anything that you want - but when the state and the county loses all the blue collar jobs that support both white collar jobs and service type jobs - There will be no tax base left to pay any state employees.

And if those nearly 200,000 state workers lose nearly 10% of their take-home pay, you think the private sector will benefit? Seems to me everyone will suffer.

I absolutely don't think unions have become unnecessary.

The biggest problem here is that there IS NO BUDGET DEFICIT. At least, there wasn't. Walker gave over a hundred million to special interests in the first 6 weeks in office.

Economists say this bill will hurt all Wisconsinites. Constitutional scholars say there are huge legal problems with it.

I could go on an on.

Just thought I'd toss that cross country team in there for fun. Gotcha!

DoppleBock

ps

I really do not care if state workers or teachers are unionized or not

The "Union busting"  is only a way (maybe not the right way) to get to the heart of the problem - Out of line benefits with the times.

xor

I will be a burden (SS if it still exists) on the American People for 12 years on average (My average life expectancy)  

You are going to live to be 110.

DoppleBock

My Dad retired a young man with a 30 year Teemster pension - Good for him.  Its already been many years since the Teemsters changed to not allow you to start collecting that pension until you reach Social Security retirement age - They used to pay for health insurance to bridge the gap with that really early retirement age to medicare age.

Times changed 10 years ago - But WI is always way behind ... change.

DoppleBock

I had a goal to live to be a dirty old man - But I happened to reach that goal as a younger man. 

You are going to live to be 110.

xor

Stay dirty, Dopple Boy.

Well, the people of Wisconsin are paying those high taxes out of their own hard earned wages to provide benefit packages to their public employees that are out of line with what the average Wisconsinite gets.

It might surprise you to know that many, many people who've never been union represented and have had to negotiate their own deal for their entire careers and have at times, due to economic conditions, had to take major hits to their wages and benefits (as DB detailed) don't have a lot of sympathy for unions.  Many of them wish they'd only lost 10% of their take home pay over the last 3 years.

Ugh.  So true.  My wife works as a state employee, so I'm well aware of the salaries and benefits afforded to them.  On top of that, I've spent time in the financial world helping people plan for retirement.  I've seen both public and private salaries and benefit packages, and it's safe to say that public employees have a pretty sweet deal.  At our house, we'll lose money out of our pocket monthly, but it was going to have to happen sometime.  We simply cannot keep on the same track that we're on.

Other unions in our state (Mercury Marine, Harley Davidson, and Kohler) have taken some pretty well publicized cuts in the last few years.  Yet, somehow, public unions feel like they should be exempt from whatever pain the rest of the state is feeling.

On top of that, our school district is closing the schools tomorrow.  Now, I have to pay to take my kid to daycare.  That's not a way to win sympathy.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

BeeRunB

The way I see it, is that Wisonsin state workers negotiated contracts

with the state and the state agreed. Whatever they have been earning

has been by agreement. It's not like they are ripping anyone off. If anyone

is getting ripped off it is the taxpayer by corporate welfare. The shortfall in

Wisconsin is equal to what they gave to corporations in tax breaks in that state.

Just like on the federal level, big oil is getting billions in subsidies from the congress,

and cutting that is not even on the table. They'd prefer to cut the meager 150 million

for the NEA (they always go after the arts these Repubs--can't wait for the next Meese). I digress a bit.

The problem really seems to be, and why they are protesting, is that Gov. Walker.

wants to bust their unions. He wants to take away a right of collective bargaining

they have had for a long time. The right to strike. I believe this has nothing to do with shortfalls, and everything

to do with an attack on the campaign revenue of the Democratic Party. If you can

bust the public worker unions around the U.S., it hurts the power and the pockets of the Dems.

At least that is the play. Couple this with the new unbridled contributions they can now receive

from corporations, and the Republicans could do in 2012 what the Dems did in 2008. It's all about

grabbing power and control on the backs of hard-working folks who are scraping

to get by as it is. Don't touch those corporate welfares though (which are always supposed to

bring so much tax revenue in to the state, but is really just a payoff to the corp in this environment where

corps threaten to leave the state or not to come at all).

--Jimmy