How long is your marathon training program? (Read 719 times)

jeffdonahue

I am looking at a Fall marathon, and I run every day so my training will not stop but I was wondering how long of a program people follow. I have always found that with marathon training programs 20 weeks was my max and even that was a bit long (18 would probably be best) because I tended to get burnt out from the high mileage. I have seen programs out there that range from 16 weeks up to 35 weeks. My marathon is about 25 weeks out right now and I am trying to gauge when I should really put myself into "marathon training" mode. Thanks Jeff
      I agree that 20 weeks is on the edge of too long of a program for most people, self included. My first marathon was done with an 18 week plan - I think this is my personal max. My last marathon I did on a 12 week plan - much more to my liking and good for a 45 minute PR. I can't argue with success - so I'm just started the same 12 week plan again for a 50K I have coming up in July.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

For someone newer to marathons, I'd say 16-18 weeks.
        C-R

For someone newer to marathons, I'd say 16-18 weeks.
          What he said - use the extra weeks to build a steady base.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm planning on 18. Starting at around 33 mpw and maxing at 50 or so. I'm not following any specific plan, but looked at about a half-dozen to see what sorts of commonalities they had and came up with something to work around my life and what I know works for me. I'll tweak it further for any future marathons I do--assuming the first one doesn't have me swearing-off the marathon entirely. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I am new to long distance running, currently in week 11/18. It has been a great one IMO. Basically, it is broken into groups of 4 weeks, 4/4/4/4/2. Each set of 4 bumps up the mileage. It also suggests when and how to ease into hill, tempo, speed workouts. It was written by the course record holder of Grandma's, 2:09:XX, for 3 levels novice, int., adv. Seems likes he knows what he is talking about. http://www.grandmasmarathon.com/training/marathon.php

A Saucy Wench

I cobble mine together too because I find most start lower than I want to start at and ramp faster than I want to ramp. I am a big fan of repeating the tougher distances a few times before moving on. I am kind of training all year, in that the big goal is in the back of my mind and I divided the year up into quarters to focus on different areas. I have a goal HM in June...after that it will be marathon focus which is I think 16 weeks. But I hope to get one 18 in before then.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Mine was/is offically 25 weeks, but because the training goes through the nov/dec holidays, most folks probably did 22 weeks--a little leeway in case people go out of town during the holidays and have to blow off some training runs/long runs.
                  Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                    If I were to train and race a marathon, I would do something like what is described here: http://www.therunzone.com/TinmanMarathonTrainingPhilosophy.html Good luck - I look forward to hearing/reading how it goes.