Beginning Runner: Need some tips/help (Read 237 times)

Wrose92

Hey guys. So I'm planning on running more often, but since I've run recently (I've just started) I get this pain when I'm running. It's on the outside side of my shins, not on the front of the shin or the inside. They hurt bad and make me stop to walk allot. Are these shin splints? I thought people only get those when they are more advanced runners. Anyway, they hurt like hell when I run and I want to know if it's my form or my shoes. Should I do special stretches? I stretch before I run but not afterwards. Sometimes the pain comes and goes, but I want to be able to run and focus on the breathing and not having to fight through the pain.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Latent Runner

Hey guys. So I'm planning on running more often, but since I've run recently (I've just started) I get this pain when I'm running. It's on the outside side of my shins, not on the front of the shin or the inside. They hurt bad and make me stop to walk allot. Are these shin splints? I thought people only get those when they are more advanced runners. Anyway, they hurt like hell when I run and I want to know if it's my form or my shoes. Should I do special stretches? I stretch before I run but not afterwards. Sometimes the pain comes and goes, but I want to be able to run and focus on the breathing and not having to fight through the pain.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Two basic tips:

• Slow way-way down
      • Stretch after you run

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

wrose92

thats a myth that only  "advanced" runners get shin splints or any other other type of running injury.  it can happen to anyone who is doing too much too soon. We all go through "adaptation phases" whenever the stress load is increased.  everyone is different & with different histories.  it could be the shoes, it could be your form, it could be running downhill too hard or fast , it could be???.  slow it down as shipo says,  do a few easy-moderate stretches & ice for 10-15 minutes immediately after.  plan on doing a very easy run/walk plan.   walk 5 minutes, run 2 minutes for 20 minutes or so every other day.  off days just walk.   find some softer  surfaces. be patient.  & progress very very slowly.  have the mentality that you are into this running for fitness thing for a lifetime.   one last thing. its ok to stretch before you run but warm up first by just walking a few minutes & only do easy light stretches. very easy to overdo stretching, especially if your muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc... are not warmed up.  get that blood flow going first.   and congrats on wanting to do something that will be a positive force in your life & improve your quality of life..

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

What others have said:

Go slow. Run/walk if needed. Reduce mileage if needed. Know that heart/lungs adapt much faster than muscles/tendons/bones. Because of that, it's easy to hurt yourself by going too fast and too far.

Do not stretch before. Always stretch after. Get a foam roller. Very cold baths help some.

Drink a tall glass of low fat chocolate milk after each run.

Eat healthier and lose weight if that's an issue causing leg stress.

Take your time and try to have fun.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Exactly what these guys all said.

Also, what you may be experiencing is posterior shin splints. I got them way I started adding jump roping to my gym routine. If this is indeed what you have, Google some exercises for strengthening the muscle on the front of your shins, you could also try taping (I used KT Tape).

Make sure you have good shoes and try to run on softer surfaces when you do (e.g. trails, treadmill, etc.).

Remember, ease into it.

CT JEFF

Wrose - possibly you have started out too fast. (or too many miles) - try to limit your weekly milage increases to 10%. There are a lot of ligaments / tendons / muscles / bones / joints in the foot. I dont know the name of your pain, but its a sign. Listen to your body. Maybe take an extra day off this week between runs to let it heal a bit. Build your milage gradually so everything has time to get on the same page.

Learn the acronym RICE. Rest Ice Compression Elevate. These 4 things will be the answer to most pains from running. Keep listening to your body. I am still learning what the name is when a part is bothering me. Strength or cross -training has its benefits too. Instead of all running, you could take a day off running to do something different - swim, cycle, weights.

Good luck.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

quagga

Also, what you may be experiencing is posterior shin splints. I got them way I started adding jump roping to my gym routine. If this is indeed what you have, Google some exercises for strengthening the muscle on the front of your shins, you could also try taping (I used KT Tape).

This totally happened to me when I added in jump roping and one-legged hops to my strength routine. Previously, I had never gotten shin splints from running.

Maybe you should use some compression leg sleeves. And remember to stretch both before and after running.

Improve and make your running more easy using Running Gadgets

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Maybe you should use some compression leg sleeves. And remember to stretch both before and after running.

Most advise not to stretch before. Stretching cold muscles can cause damage and may reduce the effectiveness of the workout. Only stretch after.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental