First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

Can't wait for the next episode of "As The Metra Turns." I"m hooked.

--- In all truth, this thread is at least a couple levels better than "Lizard Lick Towing" or "Nanny Boo-Boo".  (Edited, Honey Boo Boo, whatever....)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Life isn't always fair, just suck it up, pay whatever fine the Judge deems, and roll on, that is what I say..

That's something we've learned many times before.  If it was fair to begin with the cop would have never wasted his time stopping me or an attorney would come running to my rescue.  Truth is I'm still frustrated about this.  And after my April 30th court date, knowing my luck, my frustration will get worse. Dead Because as you said "life isn't always fair."  In fact as much as I like running, this incident has gave me some regrets that I ever ran one mile. Joking

In fact as much as I like running, this incident has gave me some regrets that I ever ran one mile. Joking

--- That is the opposite mentality you should have!  If you quit running because of this incident, wouldn't that mean you let 'the system" defeat you?    I mean I don't know...   I have had bad days on occasion, but that just made me run MORE, and I felt better for it.

Oh, and I don't talk about my deployments overseas much, but I'll throw out a bigger picture perspective on what can 'ruin a run'...   I was running just inside the perimeter of the base in Afghanistan in late 2010 when insurgents launched RPG strikes, and I had to run and duck for cover behind a barrier nearby until the "all clear" was sounded nearly an hour later.  We carry weapons at all times over there, except when we are running.  So my point is simply:  Running across a grouchy Metra Cop is not the worst thing that can happen...Approve

---I still can't believe you folks are talking about getting lawyers!   I am telling you, just go call and ask a few how much it will be for representation, and you will quickly drop the idea.  Several hundred dollars?  Perhaps over a grand for a lawyer?  And the guarantee that a lawyer will even do any good?  0 !

Because it is all a crap-shot on what happens:  It all depends 100% on the Judge.  You may get a softie, you may get an old "crusty dusty" bastard trying to win the judges office pool for "most fines collected in a month"!

Life isn't always fair, just suck it up, pay whatever fine the Judge deems, and roll on, that is what I say.

Since this thread likes drama, allow me to comment that is spectacularly bad advice.  The issue isn't the money -- Red Bird is going to be out a chunk of cash no matter what happens.  That's a sunk cost at this point.  There really is no likely outcome that doesn't involve that payment of money: to the court, to a lawyer, or both.

The issue, in my opinion, is the misdemeanor conviction.  On the one hand, its pretty east to laugh it off, and it gives you a good story to tell.  On the other hand, its a criminal conviction that will be on his record forever.  In Illinois, the only way to get rid of it is a pardon from the Governor (and while history says those are also for sale in Illinois, they cost quite a lot).  He will have to check the box that says "I am a convicted criminal" every time he applies for job, or requests a loan.  It will show up on any background check run by a prospective landlord, employer, or lender.  He'll be explaining the circumstances of his criminal trespass for the next 50 years.  Will it ruin his life?  No.  Is it worth a thousand dollars to avoid?  For many people, the reasonable answer would be yes.

I don't mean to sound harsh about this stuff, and in truth I'm sympathetic to  Red Bird's situation.  It sucks, and was just bad luck.  The cost and inconvenience to Red Bird is not commensurate with his offense.  But I can see the other side of the argument too.  Railroads get hit with multi-million dollar lawsuits from idiots and morons who get hit by trains all the time.  Even trespassers can sue for damages.  So how is the railroad supposed to protect itself?  It protects itself by strictly enforcing trespassing laws.  It serves both as a deterrent to others, and it shows that railroad takes reasonable precautions to minimize the risks to bystanders.

So in a way, Red Bird is an innocent pawn in this situation.  Except for the innocent part, of course.  He's a guilty pawn.

ETA: I've been PM'ing with Red Bird to help him understand how a lawyer can assist him in avoiding the conviction part.  In my estimation, it should actually be pretty easy to avoid a misdemeanor conviction in these circumstances.  Easy, but not free.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

He will have to check the box that says "I am a convicted criminal" every time he applies for job, or requests a loan. 

-- I see what you are saying, but my understanding was that only has to be done in Felony cases, not simple Misdemeanors?

--For example, I got a "fireworks violation" before, misdemeanor and it was only a $25.00 fine before court costs. It is on my record I am sure, but it doesn't affect me in any way... (I hold a clearance as well with my job...)

-- I see what you are saying, but my understanding was that only has to be done in Felony cases, not simple Misdemeanors?

--For example, I got a "fireworks violation" before, misdemeanor and it was only a $25.00 fine before court costs. It is on my record I am sure, but it doesn't affect me in any way... (I hold a clearance as well with my job...)

There's three "levels" of offenses under the law:

1. Felonies
              2. Misdemeanors
              3. Violations

Felonies are anything punishable by more than a year in jail.  Misdemeanors are offenses punishable by jail, but less than a year.  Violations are offenses only punishable by a fine.  

Felonies and misdemeanors are crimes.  Generally only violations can be disregarded when answering questions about criminal convictions.

I don't know the proper classification of your fireworks charge, so I can't comment on that.  In Illinois, criminal trespass is a Class B misdemeanor with a maximum penalty of 180 days in jail and a $1500 fine.  If Red Bird simply pays the fine he will be deemed convicted of that crime.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

zonykel

Red Bird, what does the ticket actually say in terms of what law you allegedly  broke?

Red Bird, what does the ticket actually say in terms of what law you allegedly  broke?

"nature of offense - running south along railroad right of way" 

When I view that, it gives me the impression I was running straight down the tracks, and actually blocking the train. Roll eyes

Not dead. Yet.

Don't listen to the pond scum, Red Bird.  A misdemeanor like that means nothing.  You were just frigging running!  It's almost like a moving violation.  I have had misdemeanors over the years and not one has ever affected me in any way.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Fight it!!  Do you reallywant to be saddled with having to register as an offender in the future.  Is Shapiro still taking on hardened criminals?

You people have issues 

When I view that, it gives me the impression I was running straight down the tracks, and actually blocking the train. Roll eyes

The "right of way" of a train, road, trail, utility corridors, whatever includes space on either side of the main tread or tracks or whatever. For trains, I believe it may be considered private property - maybe 100ft wide (at least up here). OTOH, a trail ROW may allow public passage through private property.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I'm guessing it's Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5 Illinois Vehicle Code. Section 18c-7503, violation of which is "a Class C misdemeanor for a first offense. In addition to such other sanctions as may be deemed appropriate by the court, the person shall be subject to a mandatory fine of not less than $150 or more than $500, or to imprisonment for not less than 5 days nor more than 30 days, or both."

The definition I found interesting is:

"Right of way" means the track or roadbed owned, leased, or operated by a rail carrier which is located on either side of its tracks and which is readily recognizable to a reasonable person as being railroad property or is reasonably identified as such by fencing or appropriate signs.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

keeponrunning

This thread is delivering well.

I know someone up here got charged with trespassing on some tracks.  They got a $60 fine which they paid at city hall like you would a speeding ticket.  I don't understand why it's such a big deal down there??

On a side note, the railway police (whatever their official title is) are getting good at watching the tracks where people tend to purposely step in front of trains.  So at least our fines are going to a good cause.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Kalsarikännit

If it was fair to begin with the cop would have never wasted his time stopping me or an attorney would come running to my rescue.  In fact as much as I like running, this incident has gave me some regrets that I ever ran one mile. Joking

Despite the fact that I think this is some lame trolling, I will point out that if you are done with running, as a Cards fan, you always have a bright future in meth and mountain dew.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Fight it!!  Do you reallywant to be saddled with having to register as an offender in the future.  Is Shapiro still taking on hardened criminals?

I know a guy.  ...

My Cousin Vinny always willing to help.  "The two youts were running this far from the track, your honor..."

"Whats a yout?"

(I hope these images weren't lost on the younger generation who may not know of this movie...:-)