Boston Marathon 2012 (Read 2370 times)

Adamiata

Yeah, I was looking at parking in Alewife and taking the Red Line, but was worried I might not get there in time.

chuckstone, if you get bored: long wavy brown/red hair with gold streaks, white cap, grey tank, black shorts with pink stripe, weird accent, 5'3 120lb.

Although I suppose there's going to be 1000 other people trying to come in at 3:30?  Just how crazy is this going to be?

bhearn

Copley? Huh? Don't the buses leave from the Common, as usual?

chuckstone

chuckstone, if you get bored: long wavy brown/red hair with gold streaks, white cap, grey tank, black shorts with pink stripe, weird accent, 5'3 120lb.

Although I suppose there's going to be 1000 other people trying to come in at 3:30?  Just how crazy is this going to be?

I try to keep watch for you AussieGirl.  I should look like in this pic http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/chbgchuck/running/Tiadaghton%20Run%202011/DSC02425.jpg (except that one was from a 10k).

Not sure the weather will permit a real attempt at my 3:30 goal - which would be a stretch in ideal conditions.  I'm trying to make a plan to counteract the heat without slowing the pace.  (Pour water on head and upper body.  Proper hydration, electrolytes, etc)

No Talent Drips

Yeah, I was looking at parking in Alewife and taking the Red Line, but was worried I might not get there in time.

I always take the red line from Harvard Square...works easy peasy. Red line is quick.

MTA:

Wave 1, Corral 2

Dei Gratia

I'll be taking a few s-caps with me.  My dad and brother both had seizures years ago while running (sub-3, 3:06, but did it during training), I assume electrolyte imbalance, but it's sometimes in the back of my mind.  It doesn't help that my mother keeps reminding me.  I'll be lookin for ya. 

Kalsarikännit

I'm going to point out something super obvious, that most people are going to "Duh!" at, but apparently some people need to hear:

Don't dress like you are running in a snowstorm in January.  Even with of possible high of 88 being forecast, I can guarantee with 1000% certainty that runners at Boston will witness other runners in tights, long sleeve shirts and head to toe black.  Don't cover your body in black or a dark color.  Yes, it makes a difference.  Think about a light, wicking white hat.  Dump water on yourself to cool off.  It's going to make you chafe, you say?  Deal with that after the race.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Julia1971

I'm going to point out something super obvious, that most people are going to "Duh!" at, but apparently some people need to hear:

Don't dress like you are running in a snowstorm in January.  Even with of possible high of 88 being forecast, I can guarantee with 1000% certainty that runners at Boston will witness other runners in tights, long sleeve shirts and head to toe black.  Don't cover your body in black or a dark color.  Yes, it makes a difference.  Think about a light, wicking white hat.  Dump water on yourself to cool off.  It's going to make you chafe, you say?  Deal with that after the race.  

I'm usually that runner but I swear I won't be on Monday. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that sub-anything may not be in the cards. But, I've already shattered two PRs this training cycle so I have no room to complain. Plus, I'm got the sweet jacket, (which I'm now noticing is the same color as hot lava... Hmmm...)
                  xor

Island Boy is pleased.

Island Boy is also sitting in LAX (side note... yes, I am traveling from Seattle to Boston by way of Los Angeles. Shut up.) realizing that I did not bring a singlet. 

So, given the divisive nature of the Sweet Jacket, and given the well known guideline "do not wear the race shirt during the race", I may wind up with a Sweet Singlet for the race.  Heh.  To me, that isn't the 'race shirt', so it still may be dorky but does not invoke the wrath of the race gods.

I *wont* wear it all over Maine.  And I may just find a pink singlet.

Even though I love heat and hold up better than some others in heat, I guess it is good that I didn't put all my eggs in the Boston basket for trying to hit 3:18.  Sure would have been nice to make Boston #333... in the heat.  Ah well.

Still pleased.

I'm usually that runner but I swear I won't be on Monday. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that sub-anything may not be in the cards. But, I've already shattered two PRs this training cycle so I have no room to complain. Plus, I'm got the sweet jacket, (which I'm now noticing is the same color as hot lava... Hmmm...)

I'm going into the race not overly set on any goal, so for me it isn't so horrible to just take what I get.  I do feel bad for anyone who has been training with Boston being a huge goal race.  I hope the weather does something magical and doesn't try to melt us on race day.

I like thinking of the jacket as hot lava color!   Big grin

Congratulations on your two PR's so far this year! 

Michelle

Imminent Catastrophe

Eisenhower Marathon tomorrow. Forecast is for severe thunderstorms with large hail and tornadoes. Run Toto Run!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bhearn

Island Boy is pleased.

Still pleased.

I hate you. I now blame you as well as Trent.

xor

I wish I brought heat to races.  I don't usually.  There was a period of a couple years (2005-early 2007) when it seemed like I brought pestilence and monsoons to all races though.  Anyway, don't pin this on me. 

Kalsarikännit

I do feel bad for anyone who has been training with Boston being a huge goal race. 

As do I, but it is not training that is going to waste.  If they trained smart this just made them develop as a runner and will pay off in the long run.  (Small consolation, I know.)

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I care about my time and all, but more than anything this is a four date date with my husband, while the kiddos are with grandma.