HFA Inhaler Allergic Reaction (Read 695 times)

I have exercise induced asthma that I manage with Albuterol. I recently was informed by my physician that due to an FDA mandate CFC propelled inhalers were being replaced by HFA propellants. I noticed side effects (aching joints, tightness in my throat) when using the new inhaler that I had not experienced before. On Friday I had to cancel a run after I had a more severe reaction. Has anyone had any similar experiences with the new HFA inhalers?
    Chris
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, yikes! I am on albuterol for the same reason, but I haven't noticed a difference in the HFA inhaler (I like that it's more compact, though). I'd definitely talk to your doctor. Perhaps they can find something other than the HFA inhaler. I know there are some powdered inhalants that can be used. My mom is on something like that. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I just got a call from my physician, changing my prescription. I am not sure exactly what the change is, but I will talk to the pharmacist to find out.
        Chris
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Keep us posted on how well it works, too. I'll be interested to see what you end up with and the results. I'm on albuterol and Singulair, but sometimes even those two don't cut it. k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have never heard of this. How do you know it was the new propellant (rather than a viral infection)? I have been using HFA for a while now.
              I can't be 100% sure that it is not the result of an infection; however, each time I used it (3 times over a period of a month and a half), I had the same symptoms, symptoms I never experienced with Albuterol before. Normally, I take 1 puff (or 1/2 dose). This most recent time when I had such a strong reaction, I took 2 puffs before going to bed at 10:00 p.m. and then another 2 at about 4:30 a.m. I had trouble sleeping soundly after that and awoke with the throat and joint issues. I will give an update when I get the new prescription.
              Chris
              pjena

Please update when you find out more. I haven't had a bad reaction to HFA. In fact, I have no reaction - it doesn't work for me! I've had to go back to neb treatments because the HFA propellant does nothing despite it supposedly being the same medication. My dr and pharm have said they've heard the same thing from others. I'm interested to hear what they put you on.
                  The saga continues. I went back to the pharmacist to pick up my new prescription; however, it turned out that my physician wanted to switch me away from albuterol (the thing that has worked so well) and replace it with a preventative med. (I can not remember the name) that needs to be taken 45 minutes before exercise. After explaining my concern that this med would only address my exercise induced asthma but would be useless in the event of an unanticipated attack, I was prescribed a third med that is "special order" and costs more than twice as much. I will keep you posted. I am tempted to do another test with the HFA inhaler just to be sure I am not crazy. On a side note, I was talking to an employee about this yesterday; he said that at one time he was on 3 inhalers a day. He visited a Chinese herbalist and now successfully manages his asthma that way. Regardless of how this prescription saga works out, I am going to seek out an alternative medicine consult as well. I will let you know how it goes.
                  Chris
                  pjena

My father in law just got an inhaler for pneumonia. It was the CFC kind. I wrote down the manufacturer name and called my pharmacy. They won't special order it for me, so I switched to his pharmacy - Snyder Drug. They don't know how long they'll be able to get the old kind. It's outlawed after 2008, but the supply might run out sooner. For now, I'll be very judicious and hoard my inhaler to use for running!
                      An update: I went on heavy duty steroids for 5 days to clean out the muck and finally turn the corner on this thing. Other than the fact that it made me completely antisocial, it was painless. Now I am on Qvar (preventative steroid) 2x daily as a preventative without a plan for rescue medication once my CFC albuterol runs out. It should be noted though that the Qvar is delivered via HFA, so maybe the HFA was not the problem. The good news is that the Qvar has worked like a charm. I have not needed rescue medication once I was on the Qvar for two weeks and have been able to run without difficulty or the need of any other prophylactic. The bad news is that I am on a med 2x daily that has renal implications. The melodrama continues.
                      Chris
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The bad news is that I am on a med 2x daily that has renal implications. The melodrama continues.
                        Aww...man, I was thinking that you'd found a solution. That's really unfortunate. Can you try a few other things? I know my mom is on one of those inhaled powders...Advair, maybe? It works pretty well for her. I worry that she may have COPD. k

~ Sarah Kay