Sore knee. (Read 686 times)

I going to preface this by saying that I've been (very) fortunate to never have had a running related injury. During today's run (9.69 mi), I felt pain in my left knee. It came and went, and was more "sore" than "painful." Should I ice it? Rest? Decrease my milage? By how much? I don't want to make it worse, but I also want to keep up my mileage. (I wish I had an underwater mill like Deena Kastor! Tongue)
    2009: BQ?
    PWL

Has been

Stretch, ice and take a day off. That has worked for pretty much every strange knee pain I've had. Hope all goes well!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Dave

Sorry to hear that trishie. Do you have a feel for where on the knee it is? If its on the outside, front, or back, they all mean different things. A few days off and a few bags of frozen peas usually do the trick though.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, no! Could it be shoe-related...new, old...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I always get knee problems when I go over 9.68 miles. That may be your problem. Evil grin Tell us more about where the pain is and what makes it better/worse.
            invisible

Always stretch after a run. The (hatha yoga) Rishikesh series is highly recommended. Sore knees should be iced after stretching, while you're eating! Smile Here are 3 excellent exercises that cure and prevent the dreaded runners knee: Standing Leg Lifts: Stand with your back against the wall. Lift one leg up as high as you can with the knee straight. Hold for five seconds, then bend your knee to relax, hold for five seconds. Straighten your leg again, and do five of these before switching to the other leg. Over time, see if you can build up to ten seconds. Foot Turns: Lie down or sit in a chair and stretch both legs out, knees straight and feet pointed up toward the knees. Tighten your thigh muscles and turn your feet out as far as you can, holding for ten seconds. Now turn your feet in as far as you can and hold for ten seconds, keeping your thigh muscles tight for the entire exercise. Do three of these sets. Foot Press: Either sitting or lying down, put one foot on top of the other and pull up with your lower foot as you push down with the upper foot. Hold that for ten seconds, and then switch feet and repeat. Try five sets of these.
              90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                Thanks, all. I did some xt today and did NOT run (although I did say, well maybe I'll just do a couple miles, and my husband said no! rest!) K, it could be shoe related. The ones I'm wearing were not specially fitted --- there was a massive clearance at my friendly local running store and they felt okay in the store and were super cheap... stupid, I know Blush Trent, the pain is in the bottom/ outside area of my knee. Hurts when I run, doesn't hurt when I don't run. invisible, I don't stretch Blush but I am going to start.
                2009: BQ?