ING Georgia Marathon and Half 3/30/08 (Read 1661 times)

...---...

Just registered for the half on March 30 so yeah, I'm committed to training seriously now. This will be the 2nd year of this particular one. Looks like a good course through historic Atlanta neighorhoods. Wish there were more data on elevation...looks doable though (Atlanta can be hilly). Anyone else making it for this one?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I ran the half last year. I guess I'll do it again. My uncle talked me into it during Christmas. He ran it with me last year. It is very hilly. Rolling hills really. You would think I was used to the hills because I live in East TN and I have plenty of hills to run, but I was cussing the hills by the end. It was hot and I really hadn't been able to drink much. Either the station were really crowded or I couldn't find any power aid. This time I will bring my own beverages and hopefully that will help.
        I have good memories of running in Atlanta 6 years ago when I had to stay there for an AT&T training course. Unfortunately I didn't stick around long enough for this race.
        I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

I will be there; I am attending the RRCA coaching certification course that takes place the two days before it. There is a user group for folks running the race: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/AtlIng/ Last year, from what I can tell, was a mess. Not enough water and poor organization. I'm hoping that the growing pains aren't as bad this year and that it gets some better remarks. I will probably bring a water bottle to carry, but unless it is unseasonably hot like last year (20 degrees over the average temp on that day) I most likely won't bother using it.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

...---...

. There is a user group for folks running the race: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/AtlIng/ Last year, from what I can tell, was a mess. Not enough water and poor organization. I'm hoping that the growing pains aren't as bad this year and that it gets some better remarks.
            Hi Blaine - Thanks for the link!!...don't know how I missed this one...still getting used to navicating this site I suppose. Interesting assesment on the race organization. Seems I read where this run was the best new event from 2007. If this was the best new event, I'd hate to have run in one of the worst. Surprised

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Interesting assesment on the race organization. Seems I read where this run was the best new event from 2007. If this was the best new event, I'd hate to have run in one of the worst. Surprised
              Well, my assessment is mostly based on reading the comments at marathon guide: MG >> ING Georgia Everybody really liked the course, liked the race, but didn't like the lack of fluids for marathoners (half marathoners were fine apparently) and they didn't have food for the 4+ hour folks. I'm not too worried about the '08 race.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Cause I CAN

If ever I get the guts to endure that pain again, this will be the one I enter
                Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                  The race wasn't quite as bad as some on Marathon Guide would lead you to believe. The RD and staff did not beat around the bush that some things could have been done much better and there have been steps taken to improve them. Temps were 15 degrees higher than normal on race day and there was a big time mess up on water and power drinks being delivered on the course. To this day I still hear difference scenarios as to what happened. However, there were no medical emergencies created as a result of the problem. The course was also a little tight at the beginning. To alleviate that it will start near Olympic Park this year. The course itself for both the half and the marathon is great. You go through the MLK Historic District as well as Decatur and several Atlanta neighborhoods. The neighborhoods are quite spirited and have contests with each other as to who has the best supporters. No doubt a lot of local runners, including myself will be watching this year's event specifically for organizational problems. We expect a much more efficient event from the RD this year and she is well aware of that. I'll be working the packet pickup/registration area as a volunteer and probably running the half although I have not completely made up my mind between the half and full yet. Y'all come!
                  USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010
                    The race wasn't quite as bad as some on Marathon Guide would lead you to believe. The RD and staff did not beat around the bush that some things could have been done much better and there have been steps taken to improve them. Temps were 15 degrees higher than normal on race day and there was a big time mess up on water and power drinks being delivered on the course. To this day I still hear difference scenarios as to what happened. However, there were no medical emergencies created as a result of the problem. The course was also a little tight at the beginning. To alleviate that it will start near Olympic Park this year. The course itself for both the half and the marathon is great. You go through the MLK Historic District as well as Decatur and several Atlanta neighborhoods. The neighborhoods are quite spirited and have contests with each other as to who has the best supporters. No doubt a lot of local runners, including myself will be watching this year's event specifically for organizational problems. We expect a much more efficient event from the RD this year and she is well aware of that. I'll be working the packet pickup/registration area as a volunteer and probably running the half although I have not completely made up my mind between the half and full yet. Y'all come!
                    I ran the full last year and plan on running the half this year unless I change my mind and get busy with running pretty quickly. I agree with GAReb770- the RD and marathon kind of got ripped on marathonguide.com. A lot of the problems they had shouldn't have happened but I thjink they learned a lot and it will be better this year. We set a record high temp for that day last year also. The next weekend I think teh temps were back down in the 40's instead of the 80's. Also- I talked to them at the expo for teh Atlanta Half marathon and they have chnaged the course a little this year. Instead of running straight down Peachtree st. to the finish tehy take you on the GA Tech campus and around through Centnnial Park and then to the finish. Oh- and the best part is going to the Varsity for post race food. Big grin Come on and run it.
                    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                    dgtray

I ran the half last year and signed up yesterday for the half again this year. The biggest problem with the race was the heat, and you can't really do anything about that. Since I ran the half I didn't have any issues with water stops not having enough gatorade, but I know several runners had major issues with that. It is a tough course with several climbs, but they have made some changes for this year. Based on the comments from the race organizers I would expect a significant improvement this year.

2012 Races: Galveston 2/5, St. Louis 4/15, Fort Collins 5/6, Woodrow Wilson Bridge Run 10/7

I plan to run this one as well.