Walking on the treadmill. (Read 577 times)

Nev

Since Christmas I have noticed my weight loss has stalled and is starting to slip back (about 6lb). When I started I used to my C25k run /walk one night and then the next night I woukd walk up hill on the treadmill usually until it said I had burned 600 calories. My question is do you think that walking on the treadmill on m y rest days would be detrimental to my running? or should I just try and revamp my schedule to get another running day in? Thanks in advance for your input Nev

Half Fanatic #846

Walking compliments running very nicely, and is either recommended or optional cross training in many running plans and schedules on non-running days. The benefits of walking are under-rated. Welcome to running! Big grin Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I am already starting to train for a 1/2 for next year, and its almost a year away, I ran a PR of 1:47 and have no injuries at this point. But with all that said, I want to break at the same time, so I am walking and trying to build a base, so I am walking with HR at about 100 but for an hour a day, and its helping out immensely. Its low stress so my body can recover and I will do this for a few months occasionally running a 5k here or there and maybe some fast sprinting in a few months. I also jump rope as you don't land on your heel, and so I find it a nice cardio workout without all the banging also.
          I either walk or bike on my non-running days. Sometimes I walk on the 'mill, especially if it is wicked humid outside. Plus I have two rather large, hyper dogs, so a nice long walk is good for all of us. Smile
          "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong