Flu shots? (Read 840 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why don't they make shots for things I really need to avoid...like Krispy Kremes and shopping and vodka... Just wondering...
    Oh, if there were a shot that would make everything high in calories and low in nutrients unpalatable...well, I'd be svelte. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I got my flu shot yesterday...first time ever getting a flu shot. I debated if this would be a bad idea given I have a marathon this weekend, but I'm too danged lazy to try to figure out another time to go. I had to be at the doc's anyway for other shots since I'm getting ready for my pharmacy residency. Anyway, I've been fine except for my left arm being sore. Course that may have had something to do with getting 3 shots in the same arm! BTW, for those of you mentioning getting finger sticks. If you ever have to get one done...for whatever reason...make sure the tech/nurse sticks your finger slightly on the side. It hurts WAYYYY worse if they stick you right on your finger pad since there are more nerve endings there and you use your the pad of your finger any time you touch anything or use your hands at all.

Burninated Peasant

My wife and I never used to get them either. A few years ago, she came down with the flu during our 13-hour car ride to go skiing. There's nothing quite like having a 104 degree fever while an hour and a half from the nearest doc covered under your insurance to really make a vacation great. She spent the ski trip quarantined to our hotel room, and I spent most of it fetching Tamiflu, soup, tea, etc. from the store. We've both gotten the flu shot every year since.
          Learning more and more each day.... Myth 1: The flu shot will give you the flu. This is impossible, because the flu shot doesn't actually use live viruses. Vaccine makers grow the flu virus in eggs, and then purify and chemically treat the virus to deactivate it. What they inject into us are the two pieces from the whole virus that act as keys that allow the virus to enter our cells — the H and N proteins. Our bodies then build antibodies against these keys, rendering them useless so the virus is unable to infect us. "There is no way the shot can give you the flu," says Dr. Poland. Myth 2: Because they are grown in eggs, flu vaccines can actually give you the avian flu. We have absolutely no evidence to suggest that can happen, says Dr. Poland. Vaccine makers collect eggs long before flu season, sterilize them before use, and then kill all the viruses. The real danger would be giving the shot to someone with an egg allergy, which could cause life-threatening anaphylactic shock. Statistically, the odds of that happening are — one in a million. Myth 3: The vaccine can't possibly protect people because it's made before scientists know which particular strain will spread in any given flu season. The vaccine offers protection against three flu viruses each season. Vaccine makers predict which strain will be troublesome almost a year in advance, which, admittedly, can be tricky. However, says Dr. Poland, "We're amazingly good at forecasting which are likely to spread. One out of 15 to 20 seasons, the vaccines are imperfectly matched, but some level of protection is better than none." Myth 4: Healthy people don't need a flu shot. Generally, it's true that the flu poses the greatest risk to infants, the elderly, and those with chronic illnesses. However — and many people don't know this — the Spanish flu was most effective at killing healthy young adults. Every strain is different, and Dr. Poland adds another important point: "Young and healthy people can prevent the flu from being transmitted to the rest of the population if they are vaccinated." Myth 5: The flu shot causes autism. In the late 1990s, scientists got excited about a possible link between a compound in vaccines called thimerosal, which contains mercury (a known neurotoxin), and autism. Five large studies, however, disputed any link. "There's no evidence of any association between vaccines or thimerosal and autism," says John Iskander, MD, director of vaccine safety for the Centers for Disease Control. "We know that from studies done in hundreds of thousands of children in multiple countries."

Michelle

I dont know what it is but every year i've gotten the flu shot (it was required when i was in the military) i've gotten ridiculously sick afterwards. This year they were giving the shots free at my new job so i thought id try it on more time and what do you know i got so sick i could barely function just 2 days after getting the shot. I think its the last time i'm doing it. I never got them before i joined the military and almost never got the flu. So next year no flu shot....i bet money i wont get sick!!! Cool
              I dont know what it is but every year i've gotten the flu shot (it was required when i was in the military) i've gotten ridiculously sick afterwards. This year they were giving the shots free at my new job so i thought id try it on more time and what do you know i got so sick i could barely function just 2 days after getting the shot. I think its the last time i'm doing it. I never got them before i joined the military and almost never got the flu. So next year no flu shot....i bet money i wont get sick!!! Cool
              *knocks on wood* (I hate that saying but it fits in with this next comment)... I have never gotten the flu shot and I don't think I've ever had the flu. I have never even thought of getting the flu shot until now, and only because of doing some research (and the comments from others here...) is it even a consideration of looking into. I've been told that our doctor's office ran out of them last week, but they'll get more. Sooooo, for the first time in my life I'm at least thinking about it. My one co-worker took her kids to get their shots, her kids are always sick so she fears them getting the flu big time.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"Young and healthy people can prevent the flu from being transmitted to the rest of the population if they are vaccinated."
                That's especially important. My PCP has something up in his office encouraging people to get flu shots--at the very least to help prevent them from become carriers of a bug that could prove deadly to someone they love. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's especially important. My PCP has something up in his office encouraging people to get flu shots--at the very least to help prevent them from become carriers of a bug that could prove deadly to someone they love. k
                  Makes sense to me. More PCP offices should offer more education on this factor. It might help to reach people like me who have viewed the flu shot as being strictly for the elderly and infirm.

Michelle

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Myth 1: The flu shot will give you the flu. This is impossible, because the flu shot doesn't actually use live viruses.
                    This is both true, and misleading. The shot can definitely give you flu-like symptoms, because many of the symptoms of the flu are actually your own immune system's responses to it. You won't get an actual active infection -- but you might feel as if you had, including a fever. By the way, the 1918 epidemic was an exception, and some people have argued that the unusual number of young adults dying was related to the strains and deprivations of the recently ended World War. In general the risk for healthy young people is very small.
                    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                      Myth 2: Because they are grown in eggs, flu vaccines can actually give you the avian flu. We have absolutely no evidence to suggest that can happen, says Dr. Poland. Vaccine makers collect eggs long before flu season, sterilize them before use, and then kill all the viruses. The real danger would be giving the shot to someone with an egg allergy, which could cause life-threatening anaphylactic shock. Statistically, the odds of that happening are — one in a million.
                      but probably rather more likely if you have a known egg allergy???!
                        Now that we have an infant in the house, I look at this very differently. I will be getting a flu shot this week. So will my wife and other family members.