Winter Shoes & Socks (Read 122 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Do you wear a larger running shoe in the winter to accommodate a thicker sock and/or toe warmers?

an amazing likeness

Yes, + 1/2 size.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mmmmm...beer

Nope, same shoes, which are already sized up for running, but I will double up my socks if it's really cold, a pair of wool socks with a pair of regular synthetic socks over them.  I've had no issues down to single digits.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

mikeymike

Dude, it's August.

But, no, I wear the same shoes and socks year round.

Runners run

No.  My feet are fine with regular socks even at temps below zero.

No for me. My shoes are already sized up for running. They can accomodate doubling up my socks and toe warmers. Which I need in the great white north.

Dude, it's August.

+1

I refuse to acknowledge winter will ever return.

Ready, go.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Dude, it's August.

But, no, I wear the same shoes and socks year round.

Might be August, but I ran in a long sleeved shirt yesterday.   I need new shoes anyway, so I thought I might go up a half size and use them this winter.  My regular 11.5's don't give me much room for thick, or even medium socks.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I wear the same shoes in the winter and a taller sock instead of the low ankle ones I've been wearing all summer.

Then again, I always wear wool socks and those can handle both ends of the spectrum.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

dennrunner

Do you wear a larger running shoe in the winter to accommodate a thicker sock and/or toe warmers?

No, but I've been thinking I might this year.  Didn't used to have any problem with cold feet in the winter.  Have lately. Just another thing that sucks about getting old I guess.

Great question! I usually quit running outdoors when the temps drop below the twenties. I have 'grippy' things that slip over my sneaker for traction in snow & ice, but I really hate having cold wet feet. Don't know why I never thought to double up on the socks- Does that really work?

same shoes, but I wear calf socks in the winter!

No.  My feet are fine with regular socks even at temps below zero.

+1. SmartWool FTW..

Dave

keeponrunning

I'm the third Canadian who's chimed in within 1 page, so apparently your title attracts us in droves Wink

I wear the same shoes unless it's snowy/icy, in which case I wear my trail shoes for traction.  I wear the same socks down to the mid-20s, below that I have some slightly thicker socks (I believe they are a version of Wrightsocks), and mid-teens and below I wear wool socks.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I wear wool socks and they seem to fit just fine in my regular running shoes (which are a size 8 rather thn my street shoes which are size 7 1/2.). Not everyone will agree but I like the "Outdry" or water-resistant version of whatever shoe I happen to be using for winter because it keeps the wind out.  Some people say that it also keeps in any moisture which can contribute to cold feet, but I have never found that to be a problem.  Actually my feet are usually warm by mile 2 and they don't get cold later even if they get a little wet.

Leah, mother of dogs