Halfway between Nashville and Blacksburg (Read 580 times)

Random question: I have a whole weekend off (rarity these days!) and want to try to convince a friend who is at Va Tech to meet me. Anyone know of anything that is worth visiting at approximately the midpoint? I think that makes it either North-East TN or South-West VA. Outdoorsy stuff is always good (biking, hiking, etc), as are quaint towns. Maybe the Smokies?
      The Appalachian Trail runs through that area. Lots of opportunities to hike. But the weather this time of year is dicey there.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Smokies Knoxville Ashville Boone, NC
          Smokies Knoxville Ashville Boone, NC
          Anything more specific than "Smokies"? Knoxville and Ashville are both way closer to Nashvegas than Blacksburg. (I already map-quested them.) As is Gatlinburg. Where is Boone? Whats there?

Dog-Love

Isn't that where Appalacian State Univerity is? I hear it is really pretty. Probably good fishiing and hiking becasue a good friend of mine lives there and he loves to hike and fish
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, ASU is in Boone. It is very pretty. It is close to Grandfather Mountain where there is lots of lovely hiking and a tough marathon in the Summer. There are some pretty lodges and restaurants there too. Asheville is awesome. Nearby is Lake Lure and Chimney Rock. Also outside Asheville is the Biltmore Estate and winery. Biltmore was (ABS pay attention) built by a Vanderbilt. The downtown area in Asheville is also awesome, and is home to a fabulous bookstore (Malaprops), chocolatery (Chocolate Fetish) and the country's best Veggie restaurant (Laughing Seed). Smokies. They are all beautiful. Asheville is almost in the middle of the two, but is closer to Blacksburg. Check it.
                Actually, it looks like Gatlinburg may be pretty close to half-way. Has anyone who has been there recommend for or against it?
                  Asheville is awesome. Nearby is Lake Lure and Chimney Rock. Also outside Asheville is the Biltmore Estate and winery. Biltmore was (ABS pay attention) built by a Vanderbilt. The downtown area in Asheville is also awesome, and is home to a fabulous bookstore (Malaprops), chocolatery (Chocolate Fetish) and the country's best Veggie restaurant (Laughing Seed). Smokies. They are all beautiful.Check it.
                  Would you believe I am actually very familiar with the Biltmore estate....even more familiar with Carl Sandburg's goats. Of course, its been over 10 years since I have been there.... If it hasnt changed since I was last there, Saluda NC has the best bakery. Big grin
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Stay away from Gatlainburg. Tourist hell.
                      Actually, it looks like Gatlinburg may be pretty close to half-way. Has anyone who has been there recommend for or against it?
                      Here's a vote against. Gatlinburg is in the vicinity of Pigeon Forge and Dollywood - it's a tourist trap. For a jarring experience, try going to Ober Gatlinburg for skiing. The town is bizzare; it's an Alpine village as envisioned by hillbilles. "Y'all want an order of pawm freets (pomme frittes - french fries) to go with them there curry wursts?" And the skiing wasn't that great, either.

You'll ruin your knees!

I would agree that Gatlinburg, Dollywood is something to avoid, however, right next to it is a place called Cades Cove (see http://www.cadescove.net/auto_tour.html ) and it is a great place to kick back. Lots of stuff like this... Stop and sing hymns in this old church, it's better than singing in the shower...awesome! Hiking, camping available, also cabin rentals. Should be pretty quiet there this time of year. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cades Cove is compared to Percy Warner by folks who have run in both places. I have not been there personally. I do hear that there is lots of traffic through Cades Cove though.