Do you ever feel...like you have to hold back? (Read 1023 times)

about running? I try really, really hard to not constantly mention it but I think I somehow do manage a way to say something about my run to someone everyday, but not much. Blush. But then I find myself wondering if I'm constantly squleching the desire to share or if I'm really blabbering at all. Like maybe I say less than I imagine I do...not sure if that makes sense. I know on a few other message boards I go to, I've tried really hard to stop talking about it at all. I feel like it's irritating to others to hear about it. Instead, I've started a blog where I flat out announce that I'm going to talk about my runs. Tongue My BFF moved away last October...to Italy. We used to run...although not so much together because of our different paces, but we could always talk to each other and share...everyday. I just miss having someone interested in something that is so important to me. Dh is politely/dutifully interested/supportive but it's just not the same as having a giggly girly friend call and excitedly ask, "So! How was your run!?" I'm having a woe is me day.

Jennifer mm#1231

Scout7

Isn't that what RA is for? My wife asks me about running. She even comes to some races. But she doesn't run, and is usually not nearly as interested in things as I am. Hence the reason I'm here. People on this site not only know what I'm talking about (at least in terms of running-related stuff), but are genuinely interested in what I say (at least, that's what I tell myself....If this isn't true, leave my fantasy alone and don't tell me). The joy of the running community online....
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I'm so with you on this one. My coworkers, friends and parents ask about my running and I have to tone it down and leave out the details because I don't want to sound like a broken record. I don't ever have to do that with my running friends. I can tell them that I shaved off 30 seconds in a half marathon and they are genuinely interested.
          What Scout said. My wife is not a runner so she'll generally say, "How was your run?" and I'll say, "Good!" and that will be about it. She's happy I run because I'm a better, happier person for it, but we don't have much to talk about beyond that. I'm fortunate that I have a few runner friends at work so between actually running talking to my running buddies at work and then RunningAhead, I can generally get all my running talk out of my system. It's not much of an effort for me to NOT talk about running in polite company. The problem I have is that so many people in my town see me running--from their cars usually--that when I see them in real life that's all they want to talk to ME about. As if I'm so one dimensional that I can't or don't want to talk about anything else. I have this bizarre effect on people where they will--totally unprompted--tell me all about their efforts to get fit, how they wish they could get to the gym more but this or that came up?? As if seeing me running from their car window makes them feel guilty for being lazy and overweight so that when they see me face to face later they feel the need to rationalize it to me. Even though I never saw them--they were just another car going by that I didn't pay any attention to.

Runners run

I'm so with you on this one. My coworkers, friends and parents ask about my running and I have to tone it down and leave out the details because I don't want to sound like a broken record. I don't ever have to do that with my running friends. I can tell them that I shaved off 30 seconds in a half marathon and they are genuinely interested.
            how did you shave 30 seconds off your marathon time? I need to shave off 3minutes! yeah...I have so many details to share after my runs. Last week I saw a beautfiul grey/white speckeled hawk looking bird on a lamppost less than 6feet over my head...he didn't move, just watched me pass. Last Saturday on my long run, I passed through the Sea World parking lot and was less than 50ft away from a trainer and 4 Budweiser Clydsdales. Yesterday, I ran soft sand around the bay...better than hills. Today, it was raining and chilly on the side of the bay I started out on, so I wore running pants and a rain jacket...by the time I got to the other side of the bay, it was beautiful and sunny! whew. I'm glad I could share that. Shy

Jennifer mm#1231

Scout7

Mike, I get that, too. People at work will see me heading out to run at lunch, then proceed to think that's all I do. "Hey, you're that running guy, right?" "Uhh...I guess so, yeah." "Wow, you're pretty nuts, you know that?" Of course, these are all the smokers....
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm quite certain my blog bores most of my friends to tears. At least half of my entries relate to running or weight-training in some fashion. But if any of them were to start working-out or participating in any sport I would gladly read about their progress. That maybe wouldn't have been the case a year ago. Funny how our priorities switch when we find something to be passionate about. But what sets me in a pool of my own drool is when other moms start talking about scrapbooking, stamping, or other crafty pursuits in blogs or otherwise. Cripes, it's like the cure for insomnia. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The problem I have is that so many people in my town see me running--from their cars usually--that when I see them in real life that's all they want to talk to ME about. As if I'm so one dimensional that I can't or don't want to talk about anything else. I have this bizarre effect on people where they will--totally unprompted--tell me all about their efforts to get fit, how they wish they could get to the gym more but this or that came up?? As if seeing me running from their car window makes them feel guilty for being lazy and overweight so that when they see me face to face later they feel the need to rationalize it to me. Even though I never saw them--they were just another car going by that I didn't pay any attention to.
                  ok, see. That's my problem. I guess I don't get out much, LOL. If someone says atta boy to me, it's only after I've mentioned something. But I can see how your situation might get old... after a very long time.LOL! I think it's neat that you inspire so many people. You are a reminder of good health. That's something to be somewhat proud of. But maybe hearing it too often causes it to lose it's intended encouragment factor.

Jennifer mm#1231

But what sets me in a pool of my own drool is when other moms start talking about scrapbooking, stamping, or other crafty pursuits in blogs or otherwise. Cripes, it's like the cure for insomnia. k
                    ok, I get this. I'm a Christian homeschooler... can I paint a picture of what that's supposed to look like? LOL! These women live and breath their children, homeschooling ciricculum(because they constantly switch because something isn't a good fit but I think it's because they don't know how to teach it, but that's a WHOLE other rant), fly lady, and meal plans. It's enough to send me into a coma. Me? I like a nice hard run, low cut jeans and camis, a margarista every now and again, and sushi.

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

ok, I get this. I'm a Christian homeschooler... can I paint a picture of what that's supposed to look like? LOL! These women live and breath their children, homeschooling ciricculum(because they constantly switch because something isn't a good fit but I think it's because they don't know how to teach it, but that's a WHOLE other rant), fly lady, and meal plans. It's enough to send me into a coma. Me? I like a nice hard run, low cut jeans and camis, a margarista every now and again, and sushi.
                      Ha! That's EXACTLY it!!! Gah, I have an EX friend who fit that description perfectly. Plus she was a bit obsessed with dressing her DD in ONLY Gymboree fashions (then complaining that they had no money, but heaven forbid her child wear Old Navy and Target), too...matching socks, hairbows, etc. After a while I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't handle THAT much domesticity. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I too have seen plenty of glazed over looks. Even from people who actually cared when they first asked the question. My new strategy is to minimize the whole thing. When non-runners ask how the weekend was, a quick shrug and a "oh, did an easy 15 miler" seems to garner more interest than a long explanation. Then when they sputter "but, why?" ... just change the subject.
                        Mike, I get that, too. People at work will see me heading out to run at lunch, then proceed to think that's all I do. "Hey, you're that running guy, right?" "Uhh...I guess so, yeah." "Wow, you're pretty nuts, you know that?" Of course, these are all the smokers....
                        You know what's really cool about that for slowpokes like me? The people who know nothing about running consider me an uber-athlete. "Wow! You just ran 5 whole miles!" they exclaim in wonder. Like I just climbed Mt. Everest in my shorts. My elderly next door neighbor is actually under the mistaken impression that I compete or something. It's awesome. I don't have the heart to tell him he's not gonna see me on SportsCenter. I love non-runners.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

My new strategy is to minimize the whole thing. When non-runners ask how the weekend was, a quick shrug and a "oh, did an easy 15 miler" seems to garner more interest than a long explanation. Then when they sputter "but, why?" ... just change the subject.
                          I just say I did nothing exciting and move on.
                            I just say I did nothing exciting and move on.
                            Me too. I talk about what I did with my kids, domestic errands etc, anything but running. If asked if I did any running I say, "yeah got a couple decent runs in," and try to leave it at that. It will take 3-4 questions minimum before I'll tell anyone I did a 13-mile run, for example. On the work friends note--I actually have 3 other runners in my office, and most of them run every day at noon, whereas I might run with them 1-2 times a week when I'm doing an easy recovery run. So they are considered the hardcore runners, and I'm the guy who sometimes tags along with them. Two of my work running crew ran the Marine Corps marathon last fall--an event that was highly publicized in the office--and one of them is doing her first Iron Man Tri in June. It's fantastic. My running is sooo under the radar at work.

Runners run

You'll ruin your knees!

I can't begin to explain how sick I am of hearing "well, I don't even like to DRIVE that far!" followed by a horse laugh and then a series of coughs that sound like a lung's coming up... So, I'll just say in my most giggly, girlie voice..."So, how was your run?" Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

\So, I'll just say in my most giggly, girlie voice..."So, how was your run?" Lynn B
                                Between you, MC, Scout, and Trent (not to mention all the butter churning), this place is really scaring me today. FYI: your giggly girlie voice technique will probably work better if your cheeks are silky smooth.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------