Patellar Tendinitis/Tendonitis (Read 707 times)

While I appreciate the spammer currently resurrecting all the knee pain-related threads, they were incompletely helpful to me.

All those who have/had patellar tendinitis below the kneecap: can you please post up and let us (me!) know what worked, what didn't work, what made things worse, etc.?  I've been managing mine with some success for a while now, but it seems to be back with a vengeance now.  Oddly, it's gotten worse after two pretty down weeks.

To the extent you have anything for me specifically:

• I don't over-pronate;
    • I have flat feet but use Superfeet to support my arches;
    • I've been very gradually working on increasing my cadence, going over the past two years from 140-145 to my current 165-170;
    • 6'1" and 170lbs;
    • modest heel-striker at easy paces, moving to midfoot as I run faster;
    • I run almost exclusively on pavement;
    • I'm attentive to the cant of the surface I'm running on and try to stay on the most level surface possible; and
    • I rotate three pairs of shoes (don't ask!) of different brand/model.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xor

Do you do any strength training?

(side note not to be viewed as a personal attack.  Just an interesting language thing from my ESL brain:  "incompletely helpful".)

Did strength training twice weekly through APR/MAY.  Faded off when package ran out; waiting to see if it's FSA-eligible before laying down more cash for more sessions.  It hugely helped reduce the chronic pain in my lower back, and it did seem to eliminate the occasional "runner's knee" like symptoms I'd get in my right knee.  The left knee pain was really more of a comes-n-goes kind of thing since at least JAN2012 -- it's just come on strong in late APR and not gone away this time around.

MTA: oh, and no worries -- my approach to the Internet is that anything short of an OBVIOUS personal attack is not one.  "Incompletely helpful" was prompted by Jimmy Carter's description of the failed Operation Eagle Claw rescue mission as "an incomplete success".

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Going through it now. Pretty much throwing the kitchen sink at it.

1. Cutting mileage in half

2. Icing and taking NSAIDs post runs

3. Cut out speed work and hills

4. Going for PT three times a week

5. Stretching the hell out of my quads, hamstring and IT band.

6. Added Superfeet orthotic and changed shoes.

I feel like I'm getting better a little bit each day. Not sure what's doing it.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

Old, Slow, Happy

Here's my opinion for what it's worth.  I haev flat feet and over-pronate slightly.  I spent years in Brooks Beasts.  My knees were killing me.  Currently, I'm recovering from a knee surgery to clean up the menicus and remove a tear.  I am running in less shoe all the time.  So here's my opinion:  get rid of the arc supports.  Find the shoe you like that is very near zero drop.  Be sure the shoe has a roomy toe box.  Let your foot "splay" when you run.  It will take a while to strengthen the foot muscles, then things will ge well for you.  Oh, by the way, don't make the changes to quickly.  I am still recovering from injuries due to a quick change to zero drop, minimal shoes.  Also, just so you know, I'm old.

All those who have/had patellar tendinitis below the kneecap: can you please post up and let us (me!) know what worked, what didn't work, what made things worse, etc.?  I've been managing mine with some success for a while now, but it seems to be back with a vengeance now.  Oddly, it's gotten worse after two pretty down weeks.

I have had it for about a year now with various success in managing the symptoms. Like a few of the posts before me, I am working on my form / cadence in junction with moving to a show with less of heel to encourage proper form and a mid foot strike.  When symptoms act up, I wear a patella strap below the knee and be sure to ice it to promote healing and minimize damage. 

The question then becomes why does it act up, even after I take a day or even several off.  I think the real key for me is PT / strength conditioning.   If I get lazy and don't do my PT (Quad strengthening and eccentric squats) EVERY DAY, I find myself getting worse if I run at all.  I got lazy after my last marathon in May and didn't do my PT religiously and shortly after my knee went to hell even though I was back down to a 30 mile week after several weeks in the 60 mile range with no real issues.

For me personally, I almost exclusively run and didn't start having problems until I started averaging 50+ mile weeks preparing for my first marathon. PT said my quads seemed week in comparison to other muscles.  No bad pronation, average to slightly flat foot but tend to over-stride and heel strike. I'm 6' and 160lbs.  My last three bullets match yours as far as pavement , cant and shoes.  I rotate the shoes to extend their life but one of the pair has a much smaller heel drop as I am gradually moving to that type of shoe.

The problem I had with the older threads is so few people come back to them and confirm the diagnosis they may have had and what was helpful.  I assume many have simply quit running or moved on to something else.

What was I chasing again?

Thanks, guys.

On shoes/form: I too have gone from motion-control (NB1011/NB2012) through stability (Kayano, Inspire, LunarEclipse) to my current squadron of neutrals (Glycerin, NB890).  I also threw a pair of PureCadence in there, specifically to get a little time in lower-stack shoes.  I'm 17 months past a fairly serious Achilles issue, so that too has been a project done at "baby steps" velocity.

I had a pack of 12 training sessions; surfing back through my log, it looks like I started noting L knee soreness with ~6 sessions done.  Some of the exercises were knee-challenging, but not overly so or intentionally.  If anything, I was more worried about my right knee hurting!

Both pairs of main shoes were getting up there in miles -- I've replaced the Glycerins, but maybe it's time to replace the 890s too.  Add more variables! Big grin

-- Dick LeBeau

I've been dealing with that since January. I've found a couple of things have worked for me.

1. I quit playing basketball. (not even one day a week anymore)

2. I started paying attention to my foot strike to avoid heel striking. (this made the biggest difference)

3. I started doing strength training for my quads and hamstrings.

4. I lost weight by paying closer attention to my diet.

It seems like you have tried most of these, but if you haven't made the complete transition to mid foot striking I would focus on that.

Good Luck

"It's a must that you outwork your competition today! Think training is hard? Try losing!" Eric Thomas

Thanks, guys.

On shoes/form: I too have gone from motion-control (NB1011/NB2012) through stability (Kayano, Inspire, LunarEclipse) to my current squadron of neutrals (Glycerin, NB890).  I also threw a pair of PureCadence in there, specifically to get a little time in lower-stack shoes.  I'm 17 months past a fairly serious Achilles issue, so that too has been a project done at "baby steps" velocity.

I had a pack of 12 training sessions; surfing back through my log, it looks like I started noting L knee soreness with ~6 sessions done.  Some of the exercises were knee-challenging, but not overly so or intentionally.  If anything, I was more worried about my right knee hurting!

Both pairs of main shoes were getting up there in miles -- I've replaced the Glycerins, but maybe it's time to replace the 890s too.  Add more variables! Big grin

I am also using PureCadence as well.  For me, it is always my right knee (dominant side) however when hurting sometimes i have to fight the tendency to alter my stride in ways that will likely just cause other issues.  If I put too many miles on the shoes, I have also found that to be a trigger as well over the past year.  For whatever reason as well, I also find treadmill running tends to aggravate things more quickly.

What was I chasing again?

Dr_Refaat

Patelar tendonitis  is a relatively common cause of pain in the inferior patellar region in athletes. It is common with frequent jumping and studies have shown it may be associated with stiff ankle movement and ankle sprains.

Our medical orthopedic team use Stem cell therapy - a new method of treatment - for treatment of such cases.

It depends on regenerative medicine with no surgery, no steroid or physiotherapy .

Contact us for  free consult at 

http://stem.md/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Spammer!