Mizuno Wave Elixir: similar shoes? (Read 132 times)

From the Internet.

I'm currently running in the Elixir 7 and love it; I was quite sad to read that Mizuno's going to be discontinuing the Elixir, is there another shoe that's similar? I won't need to replace this particular pair for a while yet, just thinking ahead while I'm bored on a Sunday afternoon Smile

I've run in the Precision 12 and 13, but I overpronate slightly on the left and they didn't offer quite enough support when I started trying to increase mileage. Tried the Inspire 9 and it's just way too much shoe for me - I get posterior shin splint-type pain when I try to run in them, even walking is a chore. I still have a pair of Enigmas kicking around my closet and might give them another shot for easy runs, but I don't know if I'll find them too soft now. I've tried a few non-Mizuno light/moderate stability shoes but didn't really like any of them as much as the Elixir - the fit was not quite right or they felt really clunky to me (Brooks Ravenna, Asics GT-2000 - this was a bit too narrow for me, Saucony Guide). What else I should consider trying?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would say the Nike Lunarfly, but Nike discontinued that, too...not sure if it's been replaced by anything.  The NB 90_ series was similar, too.  I LOVED the 902.  The 903 and 904 I was less impressed by.  Not sure what might be comparable, now.  They've moved so much into the minimalist shoes.  The Brooks Pure Flow might be a good option.  It's light and very mildly stable.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Docket_Rocket

From what I heard, they are being substituted by the Sayonaras, so if you loved the Elixirs like I do, try the Sayonaras.

The Precisions are also being phased out, so don't even think of those.

If you want to go out of Mizunos, I also run in the Saucony Kinvaras and I find them similar (although to me, Elixirs are one of a kind).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Menace to Sobriety

When my daughter was running CC and track in college a few years ago, she alternated between the Elixir and the Brooks Adrenaline with no issues.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Smashy!!!

Lauren,

As you know, Mizuno is replacing the Elixir with the Wave Sayonara. Like you, I did a lot of training/racing in the Elixir, and I was pretty upset when I heard it was getting axed. When I got the Sayonara, I really wanted to hate them. But after one run, I was sold. I think it is even better than the Elixir. And now I've got over 100 miles on them. Based on what you describe about yourself in terms of pronation, etc., I think you'd really like the Sayonara. So I suggest giving them a chance.

I'm currently running in the Elixir 7 and love it; I was quite sad to read that Mizuno's going to be discontinuing the Elixir, is there another shoe that's similar? I won't need to replace this particular pair for a while yet, just thinking ahead while I'm bored on a Sunday afternoon Smile

I've run in the Precision 12 and 13, but I overpronate slightly on the left and they didn't offer quite enough support when I started trying to increase mileage. Tried the Inspire 9 and it's just way too much shoe for me - I get posterior shin splint-type pain when I try to run in them, even walking is a chore. I still have a pair of Enigmas kicking around my closet and might give them another shot for easy runs, but I don't know if I'll find them too soft now. I've tried a few non-Mizuno light/moderate stability shoes but didn't really like any of them as much as the Elixir - the fit was not quite right or they felt really clunky to me (Brooks Ravenna, Asics GT-2000 - this was a bit too narrow for me, Saucony Guide). What else I should consider trying?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Cbus, thanks for the review.  I have not received my pair of Sayonaras but all I'm hearing is good news and I cannot wait to try them.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Lauren,

As you know, Mizuno is replacing the Elixir with the Wave Sayonara. Like you, I did a lot of training/racing in the Elixir, and I was pretty upset when I heard it was getting axed. When I got the Sayonara, I really wanted to hate them. But after one run, I was sold. I think it is even better than the Elixir. And now I've got over 100 miles on them. Based on what you describe about yourself in terms of pronation, etc., I think you'd really like the Sayonara. So I suggest giving them a chance.

Ooh that is wonderful to hear! Thanks Cbus! I was a little apprehensive because there was some confusion earlier in the year about what exactly they were supposed to be. I'll definitely give them a try!

Smashy!!!

I think the confusion is due to the fact that the Sayonara replaces both the Precision and the Elixir, which are shoes from two separate categories. The platform of the Sayonara  is very smartly structured. The medial side has full ground contact, and it also has a band of continuous outsole. If you overpronate, that additional material will give you some support. But if you do not pronate too much or have a neutral gait, then it feels like a solid platform throughout the gait cycle. So, yes, somehow, the Sayonara is suited for both Precision and Elixir users.

Ooh that is wonderful to hear! Thanks Cbus! I was a little apprehensive because there was some confusion earlier in the year about what exactly they were supposed to be. I'll definitely give them a try!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

From the Internet.

I think the confusion is due to the fact that the Sayonara replaces both the Precision and the Elixir, which are shoes from two separate categories. The platform of the Sayonara  is very smartly structured. The medial side has full ground contact, and it also has a band of continuous outsole. If you overpronate, that additional material will give you some support. But if you do not pronate too much or have a neutral gait, then it feels like a solid platform throughout the gait cycle. So, yes, somehow, the Sayonara is suited for both Precision and Elixir users.

So this could really end up being my perfect shoe - support for my weird foot, but won't interfere with my normal foot. Very cool!

Oh dang... I go out to the beach for vacation for a couple days and I'm missing the Mizuno party!

Glad Cbus was around to answer some questions on my new fav shoe.  I've been running most all of my training in the past few years in the Elixir (5,6,7,8 editions) and have over 250 miles in a couple pairs of Wave Sayonara I have been rotating.

And I almost feel bad for the few pairs of unboxed Elixir 8's that are in my garage.  I doubt they will ever see asphalt.

---------

bryantsf

While I've never ran in the Elixir, I have gone through a few pairs of Precisions.  My reservations about Mizuno replacing my favorite shoe are long gone.  They hit it out of the park the Sayonora.

@bryantsf on Twitter

bryantsf

My feet are slightly different, too. Never though about it that way Big grin

So this could really end up being my perfect shoe - support for my weird foot, but won't interfere with my normal foot. Very cool!

@bryantsf on Twitter

From the Internet.

Alright you all have me excited now. I have some birthday money and store credit with Running Warehouse burning a hole in my virtual pocket, so I think I'll pick up a pair of the Sayonaras sooner rather than later Big grin

Alright you all have me excited now. I have some birthday money and store credit with Running Warehouse burning a hole in my virtual pocket, so I think I'll pick up a pair of the Sayonaras sooner rather than later Big grin

Sounds great!   Let me know what you think when they show up!!

---------

From the Internet.

They are here! Probably the most conservative color scheme I've ever owned, haha. They feel a little snug, going to walk around the halls at work before I decide whether to send them back for a bigger size (I wear a 9 in all the other Mizunos I've owned, can't remember if any of the others have felt snug like this at first).