asphalt vs trail running (Read 998 times)

I use to run a few years ago and stopped, and now I'm back running again. I noticed the diffrence in my time between the asphalt running and the trail running. My time slowed down on the trail to about 3 minutes per mile. Is this normal for trail running than the asphalt? Or do I just need to run harder than I would on the asphalt?
    Life is good! Jan
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, absolutely, it's a huge difference in times. Don't worry about it - just go by effort and enjoy the scenery! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Oh yeah,trail running is completely different animal. Same effort, different time. Don't worry about & enjoy.
        JakeKnight

I use to run a few years ago and stopped, and now I'm back running again. I noticed the diffrence in my time between the asphalt running and the trail running. My time slowed down on the trail to about 3 minutes per mile. Is this normal for trail running than the asphalt? Or do I just need to run harder than I would on the asphalt?
          I'm not trying to be a smartass (no ... seriously!), but it depends on the trail, doesn't it? On some local trails, I can fly; softer but still firm footing, completely smooth, no traffic to worry about, my pace is probably 30 seconds per mile faster than average. On the more "technical" trails, with more rocks and roots to climb over than anyplace to really "run," my pace drops to 13:00 minute miles. And that's working hard. (Lotta fun, too!) So what kinda trails are you running on?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Thank you for your answers. I'm running basically on packed to soft to some rock but mainly packed dirt trail. I just found this trail that goes around Diamond Valley Lake in Hemet, and this happends to be my favorite trail! Big grin But got a little discouraged with my tme. It actually took me down 3 minutes of my time. I love this work out on this trail and want to continue with this trail Shocked
            Life is good! Jan

You'll ruin your knees!

Are you sure of the distance of the trail? I have seen plenty of trails where if there were a distance marked, it could be significantly wrong. The trail might actually be longer than you think it is, perhaps explaining some of the distance. The others have posted good answers, I just thought distance might be a factor as well. Generally, trails will be slower than asphalt (but there are always exceptions, as I found out this weekend). Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

You are doing great! Wink I know it's frustrating to have confusing times and distances, but you will work it all out! As someone wise said, "Run with your head not your heart." Do what you can, enjoy what you do! Big grin
                Life is good! Jan
                  You are doing great! Wink I know it's frustrating to have confusing times and distances, but you will work it all out! As someone wise said, "Run with your head not your heart." Do what you can, enjoy what you do! Big grin
                  Wink Big grin
                    But got a little discouraged with my tme.
                    While your times might have slowed down your effort has not and the benefits of trail running are enormous. Uneven footing will help strengthen your ankles and knees and nature around you will soothe your soul. As you get more confident running on uneven terrain your times will improve also. Ewa
                    I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill