Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

mylestones

So I have an appointment in a little over a week to talk to the surgeon about my "good" hip which has gotten worse since I've started running again. I am still doing run/walk intervals but my non-op hip is starting to act up. Of course, from the first time I saw the surgeon, he noted impingement and a possible small tear in the good one (from the MR Arthrogram). I mainly want to get a care plan in place and the problem officially documented so if/when we have to do something about it, I don't have to fight with insurance again to get the surgery covered. I just hope I can get back to running well enough to pass a PT test for the Army before that happens 

That is a bummer! My "good" hip has been bothering me almost as much as my pre-op hip this week leading up to surgery. It's messing with my head! Frustrating that the insurance fight becomes part of the overall battle as well, but you are smart to start the documentation early. I'm guessing you aren't AD at this point, if you are battling with insurance? Tricare standard is ridiculous about the FAI correction, as they consider it "experimental" and on the government no-pay list. But on base they do about 150 of these "experimental" procedures each year!

Either way, back to running well is the goal--be it for PT tests or 5ks or marathons!

cpresson

You're right; I'm in the Army Reserve. Are you active duty AF?

My good hip bothered me more in the weeks before surgery and some after, but seemed to settle down until I started the running progression. Now I feel minor pain in that hip even with walking, most of the time.

I definitely hope to run well for fun in the future (I don't like running for the PT test--lol) although I don't know how advisable distance running is for labral repairs. I'm thinking anything over a 10K might work better doing run/walk intervals. I know my ice hockey playing days are pretty much over, though 

I had such a fight with insurance for my FAI and labral tear repair in April that I definitely don't want to do that again. I'm just grateful that they ended up paying for that surgery. I would have been out of luck if not for the external review option.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Saw the doc today. My iliopsoas is giving me crap. He gave me an injection into the hip to make sure the pain I'm experiencing isn't the joint. Considering he injected the numbing and steroid medication and my psoas is still throbbing, I'm pretty positive it's the psoas. lol In my experience with the injections in the past, the pain is usually resolved pretty quickly once the numbing meds kick in.

So I am icing the best I can. Why does the psoas have to be so inaccessible? Haha. I will do stretching as well. I'm anxious to run as it's been several weeks. But I'm also relieved that it's not the joint and it's just this stupid muscle misbehaving.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Hip Redux

The psoas is one serious PITA.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

The psoas is one serious PITA.

Seriously. Any advice?

Hip Redux

Seriously. Any advice?

I don't have anything good.  It's better now but I still have days where it's quite uncomfortable.  I've battled an unhappy psoas for years now.  ARGH

Things I think that help:
              Pilates (I can go in in pain and leave painfree... I have no idea why but it works)

Glute strength

Core strength

Stretching

Things I think that make it worse:

Not keeping up on the glute stuff

Sitting a lot

cpresson

Had an MRI on my good hip today. Surprised the surgeon didn't order an MR Arthrogram, but he's been doing hip scopes for a while, so... X-rays show a bony spur on my femur and I have had increasing pain and discomfort in that hip. I'll find out Monday what the MRI shows. Meanwhile my left knee is unhappy (swelling and painful with running from the arthritis) and my knee surgeon told me last week that I needed to consider a job change or permanent profile with the Army so that I would not have to run  He knows I love running, but it's either baby the knee and put off knee replacement for another 10-20 years, or continue to run my knee into the ground. Meanwhile, I really need to take a PT test for the Army in the next month or two if I want to get promoted. I'm just not sure what to do 

Between the hip and the knee, I'm pretty bummed right now.

But, the repaired hip is doing well, so there's that 

Hip Redux

I forget - have you been diagnosed with hypermobility, cpresson?  Certainly the multiple joint issues and early arthritis is common.

cpresson

No, I haven't. My knee issues were initially caused by an ice hockey injury, though, and I'd be surprised if playing ice hockey for several years was not a significant factor in my hip impingement and labral tears.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Did you tear the meniscus or anything like that? Ouch.

So after aggressive stretching and rest, the psoas feels pretty good. Doc also gave me some muscle relaxers and that seems to have really made a difference (and helps me sleep, bonus). Today, I decided to ride the bike easy for 30 minutes followed by some strengthening exercises and it feels pretty good. We'll see how it feels tomorrow. lol I'm ready to move back into running again!

cpresson

No, I did have a partial tear of the ACL and then suffered traumatic damage to the kneecap (after landing on it with crappy knee pads on). I've had 2 surgeries on that knee and the arthritis just keeps getting worse--grade 3 in a couple of spots at the last surgery.

So, the news today was not horrible, but not good either. The MRI shows the labrum is frayed on my good hip, so the plan is to keep doing home therapy and try to "baby" it, which deciding not to run (and pursuing a permanent profile with the Army) for my knee would probably help. If the pain continues to get worse, we will try a cortisone injection. If the pain gets bad, that's when we'll talk about surgery.

Still trying to wrap my head around the idea of not running

Hip Redux

So after aggressive stretching and rest, the psoas feels pretty good. Doc also gave me some muscle relaxers and that seems to have really made a difference (and helps me sleep, bonus). Today, I decided to ride the bike easy for 30 minutes followed by some strengthening exercises and it feels pretty good. We'll see how it feels tomorrow. lol I'm ready to move back into running again!

Yay!

Hip Redux

I am down to 1-2 days a week.  Is that an option for you?  It's not exactly the same as actually having a running schedule, but it keeps me in the game a bit.   And better than horrible groin pain all the time and all that.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

It felt great today, I was going to ride the bike again. I had big plans. Then a dog bit me at work. lol I'm okay, but I'm burned out from spending the evening at the ER and my arm is throbby. I'm slightly worried about the hip because he jumped up on me, scratched the op hip and bit my upper arm (thankfully I stuck my arm up to protect my face, it would have been worse otherwise). He jarred the hip around a bit so we'll see how that feels tomorrow.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

No, I did have a partial tear of the ACL and then suffered traumatic damage to the kneecap (after landing on it with crappy knee pads on). I've had 2 surgeries on that knee and the arthritis just keeps getting worse--grade 3 in a couple of spots at the last surgery.

So, the news today was not horrible, but not good either. The MRI shows the labrum is frayed on my good hip, so the plan is to keep doing home therapy and try to "baby" it, which deciding not to run (and pursuing a permanent profile with the Army) for my knee would probably help. If the pain continues to get worse, we will try a cortisone injection. If the pain gets bad, that's when we'll talk about surgery.

Ugh I am sorry. Sad