Flat Feet Shoe Recommendations (Read 304 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Do any of you flat footers have a favorite running shoe for every day runs?

Do any of you flat footers have a favorite running shoe for every day runs?

my shoes of choice might be overkill for you. I am overweight, flat footed, and a pronator. I have had great luck with the Brooks Beast.

Knees and ankles are holding up to the constant pounding of a 275lb dude running between 35-40 miles a week.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Butter Tart

I don't think that flat feet necessarily demand a particular type of shoe. I have flat feet and I've been running in Saucony Kinvaras for the last 6-7 months with no ill effects.

cmb4314

Go get fitted for shoes at a running store.

Being flat footed is often correlated with overpronation, but not always.  Some flat footed people have a neutral gait.  And on top of that, even if you overpronate, there are varying levels of overpronation and varying levels of support in shoes.

Few people need as much support as the Beast - it's a motion control shoe, which is the absolute most supportive shoe you can buy.  I am flat footed, and wear shoes a step down in stability from motion control - I wear Brooks Adrenaline mostly.

It's also worth pointing out that some overpronation isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you are staying healthy.  I started out my running career in Brooks Ariel (women's equivalent of Beasts) and I ran really comfortably in them.  They were not too much support for me, as they are for most people - I overpronate pretty badly.  But when I stepped down in stability, I was also still able to run and stay healthy.  From looking my shoe wear, I'm definitely still overpronating in the Adrenalines, but it's not causing me any problems.  Now that I'm a stronger runner, I even run my short to medium length runs in shoes with even less support, and am fine.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I should have mentioned that I'm only 140# and fairly neutral pronator.  I really like my  very light Saucony Guide 5's.

Fortunately, I've never had any problem with my feet.   the only shoe I ever hated was a NB motion control shoe as it was very clunky.

I have fairly flat feet but a mostly neutral motion.  After some trial-and-error, I've ended up in neutral shoes with Superfeet Blue structured insoles.  The SF give me the right amount of arch support without inducing any over-pronation or supination, and this approach opens up the broad universe of neutral shoes (many-fold more choices than in the motion-control genre).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I should have mentioned that I'm only 140# and fairly neutral pronator.  I really like my  very light Saucony Guide 5's.

Fortunately, I've never had any problem with my feet.   the only shoe I ever hated was a NB motion control shoe as it was very clunky.

I'm on my third pair of Saucony Guide 5's and I agree that they are a great shoe for someone who needs a bit of support. I have had quite a few issues with my feet and lower legs so finally finding a shoe that works for me is very exciting. Guess I will have to try the 6's next....hopefully they didn't change too much!

MTA: The only shoe I ever truly hated was the alchemy (mizuno motion control shoe) because it was soooo clunky. Well, that and the Triax 5's (I think) - Nike did something terrible to that version.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I have fairly flat feet but a mostly neutral motion.  After some trial-and-error, I've ended up in neutral shoes with Superfeet Blue structured insoles.  The SF give me the right amount of arch support without inducing any over-pronation or supination, and this approach opens up the broad universe of neutral shoes (many-fold more choices than in the motion-control genre).

so so you have to buy a bigger shoe to accomodate the SF? or does it replace the insole?

My feet are flatter than flat.  Here's what I wear:

Brooks Beast - tried them, they did not work, threw them away.

Brooks Addiction 7 - my "old" pair of summer shoes - 2540 miles and still good.

Brooks Addiction 9 - my "new" pair of summer shoes - 450 miles.

Brooks Adrenaline GTS11 - my other pair of "new" summer shoes - 615 miles.

Brooks Adrenaline ASR5 - my "old" pair of winter shoes - 2480 miles and still good, except the lugs are worn down.

Brooks Adrenaline GTX - my "new" pair of winter shoes - 520 miles.  These are for running when snow on ground.

They all seem to work about the same.  I have Superfeet Green insoles in some pairs, the others have the original insoles.

You will have to find out what works for you.  It will likely be different from what works for me.

xor

so so you have to buy a bigger shoe to accomodate the SF? or does it replace the insole?

In general, you replace.

I am very flat-footed and run happily and problem free in Asics 21xx (stability, I think?) with blue Superfeet.  With SF, you just replace the squishy insole with something firmer and more supportive, so you shouldn't need to buy a different sized shoe.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Coastal

Jerry

Are we correct in assuming you've been fitted at a really good LRS?

lap

I have very flat feet, and I am in my seventh pair of Brooks Addiction 9s.  Echoing Coastal above, I came to Addictions (8s) after trying on 8 to 10 different types of shoes in a good local running store.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Actually, I have gone to a LRS, and they didn't ask many questions and sold me a $150 shoe.  So maybe it wasn't a "really good" LRS.  Maybe I'll ask on my local user group board for a recommendation.

Coastal

Yeah, all running stores are definitely not all the same, and even salespersons are different.  A good one should look at your feet, put you on a treadmill and watch / video your running, or have you run while they watch.  They should bring out a variety of shoes for you to actually try running in, maybe even outside the store.  Definitely ask around if you can.

What shoe are you running in now?

The most expensive in a given line isn't necessarily the best, or functionally different.  The major manufacturers may have top priced shoes, and then a lower priced alternative.  The Brooks Glycerin is a pretty spendy neutral shoe, but the Brooks Ghost fits the same category and is less expensive and is a highly regarded shoe.   Asics also has the 2000 series and 1000 series moderate stability shoe.  Don't be afraid to ask.

The sales person should answer all your questions, and many stores in my area allow you to run in the shoe for 30 days and still exchange them.  I currently do business with a store that allows 90 day exchanges.