Michael Wardian (Read 187 times)

If you follow Michael Wardian at all this is a good read.

Definitely a fan. Thanks, FF.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

I ran against him a few times.  He's talented and fast but IMHO his recovery ability is just unreal.  In 2006 I raced him at Steamtown, the downhills destroyed my quads and I jogged it in painfully from the 7 mile mark in 2:32; he finished in 2:22.  The next weekend I ran the leadoff leg of the relay at the Detroit Marathon....utterly painful...and there he was again, popping off a 2:31.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I ran against him a few times.  He's talented and fast but IMHO his recovery ability is just unreal.  In 2006 I raced him at Steamtown, the downhills destroyed my quads and I jogged it in painfully from the 7 mile mark in 2:32; he finished in 2:22.  The next weekend I ran the leadoff leg of the relay at the Detroit Marathon....utterly painful...and there he was again, popping off a 2:31.

+1

I happened to meet him while riding the hotel elevator together in Houston when I went to watch the 2012 Olympic marathon trials. He ran a 2:21 on Saturday in the trials race and then ran a 2:31 the very next day during the regular Houston Marathon.

Then I actually got to talk with him for a few minutes before the Twin Cities marathon last fall. He seems like a great guy and he does have some unbelievable recuperative powers.

jpdeaux

Definitely a fan. Thanks, FF.

+1

He does seem to have his head on straight and maintains a good perspective on everyday life and other priorities. I like that he addressed the "you could be a 2:12 marathoner if you only raced twice a year"-bullshit that people try to saddle him with. It's his life. He runs it the way he wants to run it.