Garmin recommendations (Read 1412 times)

Prince of Fatness

I have had a Forerunner 205 for quite a while but it seems like the battery is going, as it barely holds charge enough to get through a long run.  So I am thinking about getting a new one.  I use the Garmin mainly to record my runs and also for programmed workouts since I do not have access to a track.  I don't need the HRM or any other bells and whistles.  I could get another 205 as I was satisfied with it, but I did occasionally lose signal on some of the trails that I run.  So if there was something with similar functionality but a stronger antenna I'd be interested.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

HermosaBoy

I have had a Forerunner 205 for quite a while but it seems like the battery is going, as it barely holds charge enough to get through a long run.  So I am thinking about getting a new one.  I use the Garmin mainly to record my runs and also for programmed workouts since I do not have access to a track.  I don't need the HRM or any other bells and whistles.  I could get another 205 as I was satisfied with it, but I did occasionally lose signal on some of the trails that I run.  So if there was something with similar functionality but a stronger antenna I'd be interested.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ho w much do you want to spend?

You can get your current 205 refurbished for < $85 (including shipping)...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Prince of Fatness

Ho w much do you want to spend?

You can get your current 205 refurbished for < $85 (including shipping)...

Hmm.  I suppose that I could do that instead of buying another 205.  I guess it's not so much the money, but why buy features that I will not use?  The features of the 205 are fine.  The only thing I would like is better satellite reception if possible.

Not at it at all. 

Hmm.  I suppose that I could do that instead of buying another 205.  I guess it's not so much the money, but why buy features that I will not use?  The features of the 205 are fine.  The only thing I would like is better satellite reception if possible.

I ran a HM in 2010 and got to talking with the pacer after I noticed he was wearing a Garmin. He had the older 201 while I had the 301. They are bascially the same unit, except the 301 has a HR monitor. I asked about his Garmin and he said that a lot of the pacers he runs with use the 201 and find they get better reception witth it in trees and urban areas then the 305/205 model. I can't verify it gets better reception as I never owned a 305/205 model, but do have a 310xt now.

The 310 gets better reception then my old 301, at least Its accuracy is much better, but I can't say for sure that its better under a tree canopy as I don't usually do any trail running.

I still have my older 301 if your interested in it. I upgraded to the 310xt because I started to compete in triathlons and wanted to be able to swim with it and not worry about it getting water logged and not not working.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

an amazing likeness

All the current Garmin Forerunner devices use the same GPS chip set. There's not going to be much difference in terms of GPS performance or handling the multi-path signal problem, as there's only so much that can be done with antenna size/shape. The devices using the 205/305/310 form factor have the better antenna configuration....versus the watch-like form factor models. I agree with you on the features...don't really want anything other than basic plus ability to setup interval workouts. I'd go with the 310.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

Thanks all.  Interesting that I had a 201 way back when and when I upgraded to the 205 I thought that the reception was better.

The 310 looks nice but it is a bit more pricey than getting my 205 refurbished or buying a brand new 205 for that matter.  Leaning toward getting the 205 refurbished.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks all.  Interesting that I had a 201 way back when and when I upgraded to the 205 I thought that the reception was better.

The 310 looks nice but it is a bit more pricey than getting my 205 refurbished or buying a brand new 205 for that matter.  Leaning toward getting the 205 refurbished.

I got a deal on Cyber Monday that I could not pass up on the 310xt. TheTriShop.com had the 310xt with premium HR monitor (reg price 399.99) on sale for 289.99, they also had a CM discount code and some points (redeemable points earned based on purchase price) that I used and got it down to 227.18 with free shipping.

Garmin also had a 50.00 dollar rebate on the 310xt with HR monitor and I used that to bring it down to 177.18. I then went and sold the BNIB premium HR monitor since I already had a standard monitor from my FR60. I got 45 shipped for that monitor and it cost me 5.00 to ship. So in the end I paid $137.18 for a brand new 310xt shipped.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

HermosaBoy

I got a deal on Cyber Monday that I could not pass up on the 310xt. TheTriShop.com had the 310xt with premium HR monitor (reg price 399.99) on sale for 289.99, they also had a CM discount code and some points (redeemable points earned based on purchase price) that I used and got it down to 227.18 with free shipping.

Garmin also had a 50.00 dollar rebate on the 310xt with HR monitor and I used that to bring it down to 177.18. I then went and sold the BNIB premium HR monitor since I already had a standard monitor from my FR60. I got 45 shipped for that monitor and it cost me 5.00 to ship. So in the end I paid $137.18 for a brand new 310xt shipped.

Bargain!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

lagwagon

I ran my 205 into the ground, and replaced with a 210.  has everything I need, and i really like the smaller size...easy to wear around.  you can get it on line w/o the HRM for $199.  

I dont notice any difference in the signal strength, if anything the 210 might link a little faster.  i've never had a problem with either losing a signal...or at least with the interpolation i didnt notice.

btw, make sure you have the latest firmware on the 205, there were some algorithm improvements at some point that seemed to help with the gps tracking.

Prince of Fatness

I ran my 205 into the ground, and replaced with a 210.  has everything I need, and i really like the smaller size...easy to wear around.  you can get it on line w/o the HRM for $199.  

I may have to think about the 210.  I did not think you could use it workouts but it does have a simple interval feature.  That may be good enough.  I like the smaller size.

Not at it at all. 

Best Present Ever

I had bad luck with the refurbished 205.  It stopped working after a few months, and I was outside the very short replacement window.  I had been injured during the time I had the refurb and had only used it a few times before it stopped working.  The refurb only cost about $25 less than a brand new one from Amazon, with less likelihood of crapping out and a much longer warranty period. 

I may have to think about the 210.  I did not think you could use it workouts but it does have a simple interval feature.  That may be good enough.  I like the smaller size.

I don't know how they compare with each other but just saw the Garmin 405 for $139 at walmart dot com.

FWIW, I have a 205 and like it for tracking runs and workouts also.  Another function I really like is the simple mapping feature.  You can go to a screen and see where you are in relation to where you started.  I have a terrible sense of direction and I've used this a few times on trails to backtrack or to complete a loop.  I don't think the 210 or 405 have this feature.

Prince of Fatness

I am going with the 210.  I like the smaller size and longer battery life, plus it does what I need it to do.

I can get it for $199 with free shipping, plus I found that there is a $50 rebate for students through May.  Since my son is a college student I can use the rebate.  Here is a link to the rebate form in case anyone is interested....

http://garmin.blogs.com/files/garmin-coach-rebate.pdf

Thanks again for the feedback.

Not at it at all. 

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I currently have a 305 because I wanted to calibrate it with my bike and have HRM if wanted. I love my 305.

I used to have a 205 that I loved. The signal strength of GPS was no different than my 305.

Before that, I had a refurbished 201. For me, the GPS wasn't so hot - tended to loose signal under trees, etc., and I was running in a small town. (no trails, no skyscrapers). 

TRUST THE PROCESS

Maggie & Molly

I have the 405 w/ hr monitor.  I got it on sale for under $200.  (can't recall exactly how much).  I now have the footpod too.  I like it alot.  My gripe is I am not really that good at using the rim of the watch to change to different settings.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                                Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363