Foot pod and pace help, pretty please! (Read 396 times)

runmomto3boys

I'm not sure I understand how this footpod works with my Garmin.   I am going to use it to do speed work at our 443m track here.  I am testing it out with my watch right now.  Is the only field that works with the footpod on (no satellite) to give me any idea of pace the total time field?  So there is no other way to figure out my average moving pace other than doing some serious math while I'm in the middle of my run, is that right? 

The run I'm going to do this week is a tempo run, 4 out of 11 miles.  If I have to try to hit my pace the "old fashioned" way, what is the best way to do this?  Should I know what time I am targeting for each 443 m lap and hit the lap button each time I do 1 lap and do that 14.6xs for the 4 mile tempo portion of my run? 

Ok, I used the footpod and when I put it into Garmin Connect, all it told me was my total time.  Shouldn't it at least give me my average pace on there?

Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks!

an amazing likeness

I've never used one...but this dcrainmaker article shows the garmin recording pace/distance from the foot pod.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

runmomto3boys

Off to check out that link, Milk Truck - thanks so much!

Well, I think my watch wasn't detecting the foot pod previously, b/c now it works and it is telling me average overall pace and average lap pace + distance.  WOOT!   So I guess this is all I need to do my tempo run.

runmomto3boys

I've never used one...but this dcrainmaker article shows the garmin recording pace/distance from the foot pod.

THIS IS AWESOME!  Thank you so much!!!!

I'm not sure I understand how this footpod works with my Garmin.   I am going to use it to do speed work at our 443m track here.  I am testing it out with my watch right now.  Is the only field that works with the footpod on (no satellite) to give me any idea of pace the total time field?  So there is no other way to figure out my average moving pace other than doing some serious math while I'm in the middle of my run, is that right? 

The run I'm going to do this week is a tempo run, 4 out of 11 miles.  If I have to try to hit my pace the "old fashioned" way, what is the best way to do this?  Should I know what time I am targeting for each 443 m lap and hit the lap button each time I do 1 lap and do that 14.6xs for the 4 mile tempo portion of my run? 

Ok, I used the footpod and when I put it into Garmin Connect, all it told me was my total time.  Shouldn't it at least give me my average pace on there?

Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks!

I know this is not a popular thinking so I wouldn't take it personally even if this is completely ignored.  The bottom line is; it doesn't matter.  When it comes to "most of" training workouts, it really doesn't matter what the distance or even what the pace is.  What's more important is; so if you do intervals around 443m track, how you progress from one week to the next, how fast you can run those 443m, not so much per-mile pace or 400m pace or whatever, and also how easy you feel doing it.  If you want to be more specific, by doing the same exact workout, how your heart rate reacts to it.  Same thing with tempo run.  So if you use 443m track--it could be 443.4m, it could be 442.8m but who cares?--, you do tempo run of 10 laps; and see how you progress from one week to the next.  Of course, it's not quite advisable to do the same route week in and week out.  I'd find a few different venues; but every third week or thereabout, you'll come back to the same course and you do the exact same workout and see how you progress one round to the next.  THAT is the most important information.  If I were coaching, I would give a rat's a$$ what time you'd do a mile repeat today or what pace you did 443m track.  But how you would progress this week to the next, and how you felt, would be the one that I'd be most interested in.

Julia1971

If you really care about pace, you'll want to calibrate it beforehand.

joescott

If you really care about pace, you'll want to calibrate it beforehand.

+1.  This is a MUST.  Uncalibrated the footpod pace and distance can be off by several %.  For me personally it is off by nearly 7% without calibration, which is pretty bad.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What's the deal with 443m?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

an amazing likeness

It's 3 better than 440.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

joescott

It's 3 better than 440.

5 worse than 448?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.