Gear that brings no joy (Read 1320 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For me it's sports bras.  I absolutely loathe spending $40-50 ON SALE for an item that isn't particularly comfortable, is unattractive, gets soaked and clammy-feeling, frequently ends up smelling musty (since they require air-drying and when it's humid they almost get mildewed before they dry fully), can be a huge PITA to get on and off (especially once soaked in sweat), needs to be replaced every 6 months or so, and requires at least 2 in rotation.

I'm also not super fond of cycling shorts, since they tend to be totally unflattering on any female who doesn't have <20% body-fat, but at least they are generally pretty comfortable and last fairly long...though they should, at $100 a pop for a halfway decent pair that keep my undercarriage happy for rides of more than an hour or two.

I wish everything were as easy to drop big bucks on as shoes and bikes are.  I don't even mind spending $$ on good wool socks (though I find that Smartwool don't seem to be as well constructed in recent years as they were 3-4 years ago, so if anyone has recommendations for other merino socks to try, I'm all ears).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

drrbradford

Super thin racing flats. Often there is an inverse relationship between amount of material and price.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Super thin racing flats. Often there is an inverse relationship between amount of material and price.

I've noticed this!  And aren't they are generally only "rated" for a fraction of the mileage of a regular shoe (or at least it seems that most people end up replacing them at lower mileage)?

~ Sarah Kay

drrbradford

I wear through the EVA foam type soles quite quickly (particularly under the ball of my right foot which causes problems with my right hip because of the change in pronation angle of my ankle) but have become adept at repairing them using the rubber shoe soles and Shoe Goo you can pick up on Amazon for less than £10. Easily doubles the lifespan if you can make the uppers last.

so if anyone has recommendations for other merino socks to try, I'm all ears).

my favorite are Wigwam.    they have one called merino wool hiker (and probably others with some % of merino wool).  Wigwam are my personal fav socks.

Cntrygal

zoom-zoom - I TOTALLY agree on the sports bra thing!  AND... when it's time to go back and pick up a new one, the dang manufacturer has discontinued the one that you want and the new styles don't really compare. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

zoom-zoom - I TOTALLY agree on the sports bra thing!  AND... when it's time to go back and pick up a new one, the dang manufacturer has discontinued the one that you want and the new styles don't really compare. 

Yep.  And if I can find any of the discontinued style they are in every size but mine. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Cntrygal

Yep.  And if I can find any of the discontinued style they are in every size but mine. Tongue

Same here!  It's a conspiracy!!!! 

I also am lodging a complaint about the Brooks Ariels.  They only come in white with a green logo stripe or white with a blue logo stripe.  WTF?!?!!  Every other Brooks models comes in crazy and cool colors! 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I also am lodging a complaint about the Brooks Ariels.  They only come in white with a green logo stripe or white with a blue logo stripe.  WTF?!?!!  Every other Brooks models comes in crazy and cool colors! 

Oh, I found this to be the case with EVERY women's shoe that came in wide widths, with the exception of NBs.  Wides from every other brand are almost always available in only white with blue.  Meh.  Then NB went and changed the last on their shoes and I have had NO luck with any of their models since then.  Fortunately I have found that Nikes fit pretty wide, aren't too curved, and seem sort of stretchy through the toes (at least with the Free models and the Lunarfly), so I have any number of whacko color combinations to choose from.

~ Sarah Kay

Cntrygal

Oh, I found this to be the case with EVERY women's shoe that came in wide widths, with the exception of NBs.  Wides from every other brand are almost always available in only white with blue.  Meh.  Then NB went and changed the last on their shoes and I have had NO luck with any of their models since then.  Fortunately I have found that Nikes fit pretty wide, aren't too curved, and seem sort of stretchy through the toes (at least with the Free models and the Lunarfly), so I have any number of whacko color combinations to choose from.

Lucky!

I've been fitted at three different running stores (in three different states even) and all three put me in the same shoe (Ariel).  STUPID WHITE RUNNING SHOES! 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lucky!

I've been fitted at three different running stores (in three different states even) and all three put me in the same shoe (Ariel).  STUPID WHITE RUNNING SHOES! 

I think the Ariel was the shoe my BFF ended up in...or maybe it was the Addiction.  She had the same gripe--no choice of fun colors.  Like they think people who need lots of motion control don't also want fun shoes.

~ Sarah Kay

drrbradford

Count yourselves lucky. In the UK we rarely get a choice of colours in any shoe, even if  they do have a range of colours in production (e.g. Nike Zoom Waffles XC). The only exception seems to be Nike Frees.

ymmv

I like the point6 brand wool socks. 

Black-Toe-Nailed

Hydration belts.

Hate them all!

They are annoying in so many ways that won't even start describing it. And they make you look totally stupid too!

I hate them so much that I have trained myself to run without water and food. As a by-product of that I am now able to run a 26 miler without stopping at the watering holes Smile (well, I live  in Holland and it's not particularly hot here so hat dehydration is not really an issue).

Fortunately I discovered these ultra-backpacks with water bladder. I don't use the bladder yet (until I begin doing ultras) but I somtimes carry a pair of huaraches  or a 35mm film camera (a Kodak Retina III Automatic).

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                              then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                              I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Black-Toe-Nailed

I've noticed this!  And aren't they are generally only "rated" for a fraction of the mileage of a regular shoe (or at least it seems that most people end up replacing them at lower mileage)?

This mileage "Rating" of the shoe manufacturers makes no sense at all. I would consider it more in the sense of a maximal amount of miles during which the company warranties that the shoe will not break. I have a pair of flats way above the 300 miles they are were supposed to last (437mi, NB MR 802).  

But I agree that they are highly overpriced. Maybe it's to compensate that they are built in lower quantities ?

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                                then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                                I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek