Ultra-processed foods (Read 1274 times)

#artbydmcbride

This is just an article about ontologic classification. It really does nothing to support assertions that one class is necessarily healthier or less healthy than another.  I'm not sure the point he is making.

BTW, I had a veggie hot dog last night.  With saurkraut.  And a RyePA beer.  Yummy!

Was it a tofu hot dog?  Was it cured with nitrates?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is just an article about ontologic classification. It really does nothing to support assertions that one class is necessarily healthier or less healthy than another.  I'm not sure the point he is making.

Maybe the first part of the article is about classification. But lack of support doesn't stop him from making assertions about the inherent health of one class over another in his observations:

"Products are here classified as ultra-processed not only because of their nature as unhealthy edible substances, but also because of their underlying and basic social, economic and environmental consequences."

I'd wager his point is that he believes ultra processed food producers "Big Snack, and also Big Sugar, Big Burger, and Big Cola, together with associated agribusiness, pharmaceutical, chemical and marketing corporations" are out to destroy the world and must be stopped (ie. "regulated").

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I get that, I really do.  I guess I separated his musing from what he presented that is actually defensible (if useless) based on logic. 

However, based on his ontology, our example of the salad with olive oil is no different from (and apparently as unhealthy as) a twinkie.

Is offal not meat? Is meat only muscle?

asking because he seems to characterize the hot dog as less healthy partly because it's not "meat" as he defines it. Not that offal would make it less healthy I think. I dunno.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

BTW, raw meat is food.  Cooked meat is processed.  Add a little butter or cheese or catsup: ultraprocessed.

Why is it sideways?

Trent, give us your basic ontology of food.

Ostrich runner

I get that, I really do.  I guess I separated his musing from what he presented that is actually defensible (if useless) based on logic. 

However, based on his ontology, our example of the salad with olive oil is no different from (and apparently as unhealthy as) a twinkie.

FWIW, I arrived at the article through a Pollan tweet. I'm still curious to go through the rest of the article and commentary to see if there's more going on. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

BTW, raw meat is food.  Cooked meat is processed.  Add a little butter or cheese or catsup: ultraprocessed.

Okay, sure. But what about ketchup?
                  LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, sure. But what about ketchup?

A vegetable.

A vegetable.

Then my kid DOES eat vegetables after all!

#artbydmcbride

Is offal not meat? Is meat only muscle?

asking because he seems to characterize the hot dog as less healthy partly because it's not "meat" as he defines it. Not that offal would make it less healthy I think. I dunno.

I had some exotic foreign food and I believe they didn't waste any part....I am sure nostrils, knuckles, hooves and beaks were in there.

Runners run

Parts is parts.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent, give us your basic ontology of food.

parts is parts

A vegetable.

Thanks for that, it's probably the most amusement I will find on the internet all day.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.