Hoka OneOne (Read 590 times)

Still kicking

I put over 1200 miles on my Stinson Tarmacs and over 1500 miles on my Mafate 3's. Currently training in Bondi 4's and Mafate Speeds, and racing in Cliftons. My favorite so far is the Bondi 4.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Docket_Rocket

Hoka Bondi 1 - Great! Soft. Fit well. Light.

Hoka Bondi 2 - Great but didn't last very long.

Hoka Bondi 3 - Ugh. Fit poorly. Heavier than the last two versions.

Hoka Bondi 4 - Verdict not in. I bought some and they seemed okay. After a marathon, I had to send them back as there was something off near my big toe on my right foot which caused pain for a few days after. I returned as a manufacturer's defect and will be getting another pair soon. Lighter than the 3s.

Hoka Conquest - Did not work for me. Not cushy. Narrow and did not fit well. Did not buy a pair after wear test.

Hoka Stinson Tarmac - Okay. Fit okay. Not as cushy as Bondis. Heavy.

Hoka Stinson Trail - Okay. I have worn them for quite a few ultras. I would prefer better grip from the sole.

Hoka Kailua Trail - Good grip on the sole. Wish they had a bit more of the Hoka cushion.

Hoka Kailua Tarmac - I'm not a huge fan, and they didn't last long. Not the Hoka I know and love.

Hoka Valor - Just picked up a pair of these. So far I think they are my new favorites for road. They remind me of the old Bondis.

I have quite a few reviews on my blog: ultracassie.blogspot.com

I felt the same way about the Bondi 3s.  I ran a 5 miler in the 4s the other day and they feel just like the 1s and 2s did.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

phred_qz

Good to hear the positive Bondi4 feedback.  Glad they're heading back to the style I fell in love with Smile

50 Miles - done

41.6 Miles - done

26.2 Miles - done

...now it's time to get faster. 

Joann Y

I don't have any particular interest in the Hoka OneOne but saw this article today in the New York Times. An article about running in the actual sports section with reasonable people saying reasonable things about running including quotes by Jay Dicharry!

Dicharry, the biomechanist, suggested that extreme shoes like the Hokas might be best used in moderation. “Some people have a road bike, a commuter bike and a mountain bike, and they all have their purpose,” Dicharry said. “Maximalism is the new fat-tire bike of running shoes.”

jpdeaux

Ha! I was this close to posting that, but with the final quote, this humorous little dig from Dicharry.

“Of course what’s on your feet is important,” Dicharry said. “But there is a lot of evidence to show that people who spend more time improving their bodies as opposed to shopping for shoes are the ones who are going to run better.”

It did make me want to try Hokas though. And the whole idea of this being THE answer puts me in mind of something either Gregory Bateson or Steward Brand said about information being "any difference that makes a difference". Going maximal might help. Going minimal might help. Changing something, anything really, might help. The change could be what helped, rather than what the change was to.

mikeymike

And the whole idea of this being THE answer puts me in mind of something either Gregory Bateson or Steward Brand said about information being "any difference that makes a difference". Going maximal might help. Going minimal might help. Changing something, anything really, might help. The change could be what helped, rather than what the change was to.

As the great Crash Davis once said, "If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you are! And you should know that!"

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

I AM wearing women's underwear!!!

Runners run

Joann Y

I AM wearing women's underwear!!!

You and Meat!

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I've tried Hokas on twice at LRS. Don't remember the model but the forefoot seems to run narrow. I didn't like it. Instead I bought a pair of Altra Olympus for easy and recovery runs. Very wide toe box but they are zero drop which has taken some time getting used to. My everyday shoes are Brooks Ghosts.

You people have issues 

jroquebert

Good to see I am not the only one having different feel from shoe to shoe of the same model and size.

I have about 250 miles on a pair of Clifton and love them, will be running a marathon with them in a week. Went to store to get a second pair, and it just didn't feel the same, ended up getting a completely different shoe, which I am using for the short runs, but still going strong on the Clifton for the long runs.

As far as sizing, I had to go up half a size, because it was bothering top of pinky toe. Other than that is has been great, I can feel the difference after the runs, my feet just don't feel as pounded as with previous shoes.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Anyone run in the Challenger ATRs? Supposed to be the trail version of the Clifton.  I have a pair on the way.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

hectortrojan

I like these shoes because of their cushioning.

My major issue is using them on narrow trails which are not flat from side to side. On those trail, when you step on the trail, shoes stay at some angle because of oversize sole while your leg tries to be vertical. So shoe stays on one direction and foot goes towards other direction. After experiencing this for few times, I stopped using them on narrow trails which are not flat from side to side. I experienced these with Mafate as well as Stinson Trail.

I have/had only used Mafate and Stinson Trail.

Durability wise, lugs tore apart from Mafate only after 250 miles and I had to retire them.

I got 100 miles on Stinson Trail and we will see for how long do they last.

CMJHawk86

Anyone run in the Challenger ATRs? Supposed to be the trail version of the Clifton.  I have a pair on the way.

Yes, I wear the Challenger ATRs right now. One of three trail shoes in my rotation (the others are the Brooks PureGrit and NB MT20). I like the protection that the platform provides against sharp trail elements. And they are lightweight; basically you are correct, the Challenger is the trail version of the Clifton. The cushioning aspect also helps for those stretches of road (sometimes as much as a few miles) that I sometimes have to run in order to link multiple trails together.

I find it pretty versatile and the more rugged the trail, the more likely I am to go with the Challenger. But if I am racing or training fast, I am more likely to select one of my other two trail shoes. They will probably be my default trail shoe going forward, given that the PureGrit has been discontinued by Brooks, which will leave me with just the Minimus for when I want to go low-profile.

Joann Y

I wanted to try the Hokas to get another type of shoe into my rotation thinking it might help with plantar fasciitis, etc and recently bought the Kailua Tarmac. I didn't realize that they had a race-lace system with a pull instead of traditional laces. Something that I'm not a fan of and would watch out for in the future. Not too long after wearing them I started getting burning and numbness in the toes of one foot. I didn't think they were too tight and maybe it was unrelated but it went away after I stopped wearing them. Thinking about it now, maybe it's not too late to exchange them for a different Hoka (got them from Running Warehouse almost 2 months ago), I'll have to check. Can someone recommend a regular pair of Hokas for the road with normal laces?

Kalsarikännit

I wanted to try the Hokas to get another type of shoe into my rotation thinking it might help with plantar fasciitis, etc and recently bought the Kailua Tarmac. I didn't realize that they had a race-lace system with a pull instead of traditional laces. Something that I'm not a fan of and would watch out for in the future. Not too long after wearing them I started getting burning and numbness in the toes of one foot. I didn't think they were too tight and maybe it was unrelated but it went away after I stopped wearing them. Thinking about it now, maybe it's not too late to exchange them for a different Hoka (got them from Running Warehouse almost 2 months ago), I'll have to check. Can someone recommend a regular pair of Hokas for the road with normal laces?

Cut those off, put normal ones in. My Tarmac's came with an extra pair of normal laces. Speed laces make me crazy.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart