Tired of running like a mom... (Read 782 times)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I think I’m ready to start training hard and could use some advice. I’ve decided my goal will be to bring my post-kids ½ marathon PR of 2:06 closer to 2:00 (my before-kids PR is 1:51). These times are for the same course. The race is in August. I’m itching to get faster and find that I’m enjoying semi-structured speed work. So specifically: What distance for repeats should I concentrate on? There is a 15K race about a month before the race, should I do it? Should I throw in a few 10 K races? I tend to be more of a “just happy to be here and get the T-shirt” type of runner. I’d appreciate any advice on how to think of myself as more of a competitive runner. I tend to fall back on mind talk of: “hey, what the heck am I thinking, I’m a 41-year-old part-time working mom, why push it…” Other factors: Did I mention that I'm 41 years old? My one marathon is a 4:15 (I was nauseated for days before the race. I didn’t realize that I was pregnant. Duh) My current average weekly mileage is 25-30. I could probably bump it up a little for the peak of training. I’ve done several 10Ks but I never really pay attention to the times because I just do them for fun. I’ve been running on and off since high school. I’ve been pretty consistently for the last 10 years except when I pregnant or recovering from C-sections. Thanks for your help.
    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

What distance for repeats should I concentrate on? There is a 15K race about a month before the race, should I do it? Should I throw in a few 10 K races? I tend to be more of a “just happy to be here and get the T-shirt” type of runner. I’d appreciate any advice on how to think of myself as more of a competitive runner. I tend to fall back on mind talk of: “hey, what the heck am I thinking, I’m a 41-year-old part-time working mom, why push it…” .
      I'd bump your mileage before worrying about doing repeats. If your race is in August, then you wouldn't really want to worry about repeats until June and July. A few "B" race efforts in a 10k here and there can give you a good guage of where you are fitness wise. Plus, they are fun. My goal races are late August and September, so I am treating May as recovery month, June as base building, and mid July through August as when I'll mix in my speed work. I have a 6 mile trail race, a 5 mile road race, and 10k road races planned for June, July and the beginning of August, but I'll be training through those.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I'm not really sure what you're asking for so I'll just respond with what I know about running like a mom. One of the fastest women I know is a 47 year old mother of 4 who trains like a badass (I know because I see her out on the roads in the early mornings when I'm out training like a dad of 4.) She just ran Boston and would have qualified even if she were 20 years younger. It's a state of mind, really.

Runners run

I'm not really sure what you're asking for so I'll just respond with what I know about running like a mom. One of the fastest women I know is a 47 year old mother of 4 who trains like a badass (I know because I see her out on the roads in the early mornings when I'm out training like a dad of 4.) She just ran Boston and would have qualified even if she were 20 years younger. It's a state of mind, really.
          One of my teammates is in her mid-30s, works, and has 5 kids. She just placed 16th in the Olympic Marathon Trials, and still has a faster PR than I do.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JakeKnight

I wish I could run like a mom.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------