2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Goorun

Slow and steady never wins anything.

jfa

Good luck to everyone out there on Sunday

Last year it was very similar in terms of weather.

Hope it's warm enough for you after the race !

Julia1971

Goorun, We were probably at the Expo at the same time.  It was pretty crowded.  When my friend and I got there, the line was snaked outside and down the side street.  I thought Friday afternoon would be the ideal time to go but I think I thought wrong.

I got to see Ryan Hall again.  (I'm pretty sure I rode the elevator with him in my hotel last year).  He was doing photo ops and autographs.  If everything holds to form, I should be running into Shalane or Molly during my shake out run tomorrow.  Wink

Julia1971

I just read the new qualifying standards for 2015.  (I see I got an extra minute and can get in next year if I run a 3:25:59 tomorrow.  Whoo hoo!)

Any guesses on how the non-guaranteed time qualifier "first come, first serve" would work?  Does this mean they don't think the cap would be reached the first day of registration?  I'm already sitting on a non-guaranteed time, so if I can submit my application on January 15th at 12:01am and get in, I won't try to kill myself tomorrow.

lagwagon

Any guesses on how the non-guaranteed time qualifier "first come, first serve" would work?  Does this mean they don't think the cap would be reached the first day of registration?  I'm already sitting on a non-guaranteed time, so if I can submit my application on January 15th at 12:01am and get in, I won't try to kill myself tomorrow.

good question and good looking out.  the page also says that they've expanded the number of slots, so i would hope theyve done this with anticipation that it would take some nontrivial amount of time to fill up.

tomorrow is looking like a great day to race!  (probably a crappy day to sit around staten island, but youll survive.  my one tip from last year, definitely bring chemical hand/foot warmers)

good luck to all the racers!

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Good luck tomorrow everyone! I probably won't see any of you with the volume of people, but here is what I look like, so if you happen to see me you can come and say hi Smile

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Julia1971

Have a great race tomorrow everyone!

Lagwagon, It occurred to me that maybe it also means time qualifiers don't have to commit so early if it's not expected to fill...  Hand warmers are a must.  Hats, gloves, arm warmers...  I'm wearing all of it.  I have convinced myself to HTFU and wear shorts instead of tights, though.

Dbilenkin, Thanks for starting and maintaining the thread this year.  Best of luck to you tomorrow!

Goorun

Yes, good luck to everybody tomorrow, thanks to dbilenkin for starting the thread and to everybody who contributed. We had a great diner last night with some people from RW NYC marathon forum (met Nasreddin Hoja there). We went to check finish area and took some pictures. I'll be on 6:00am official race bus from NY Public Library. Bib# 2642.

It will be interesting.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

senatj

Good luck everyone!  This has been a 4 year wait so I'm pretty excited.  I'm chillin out now at the Wall st inn. From here it's about a 1/2 mile walk to the ferry.

Dbilenkin - did you ever post what wave / corral you are in?   I'm in 1E so maybe I'll see you there.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow - what slow splits in New York...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Good luck tomorrow everyone! I probably won't see any of you with the volume of people, but here is what I look like, so if you happen to see me you can come and say hi Smile

This man has an impressively unfair start at No-shave No-vember.

I applaud your style, sir.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

pedaling fool

What's the role of the guys on bicycles? I saw one or two with radio headsets, so I guess they are reporting something, but I saw many seemingly with nothing, just riding alongside the pros. What's up with that?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow - what slow splits in New York...

Wind. Serious wind. Hope our folks survived, if not thrived.

Julia1971

In a city of 8 million people, who do I run in to on my way to get a bagel in the morning?  Yes, D_R!  We didn't plan to meet up but fate brought us together.  More details in the RR.

3:32:14. I went for the 3:26 and fell short.  Painfully short.  My everything hurts.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Wow! Just a quick post to say I'm done and man was it crazy windy! I missed my PR by 43 seconds but I'm not even upset. My garmin didn't startup at the beginning so I had no idea what my time was. I really had no idea I was even close to my PR because I thought I had slowed down too much by the end. I'm going to do a race report later but all in all it was an awesome experience. Can't wait to hear how everyone else did.

Also so I took about 10 seconds of video while running on the Verazono, just because it was so ridiculously windy I felt I had to capture it. I'll post it once I'm back at home.

Good of job to all the finishers today!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!