Dealing with njury without drugs (Read 801 times)

GGW

because of the risks to liver, stomach and possibly tendon healing, I don't take any OTC painkillers...what have you incorporated into your programs (stretching, icing, nutrition) that's helping with inflammation (i.e., achilles, ITB, quad attachments)

Along for the Ride

Hammer Nutrition's "Tissue Rejuvenator". Has helped with minor inflammation issues and just to feel better when training higher mileage than usual. It used to be sold by Roadrunner Sports online.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

xor

You can buy it straight from Hammer, if'n you want.

It is Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, and "other stuff" (tumeric, yucca, etc).  They have ingrediment/nutrition info on the site.

(I do not use it; just sharing info)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Huge fan of the ice bath.  I don't require this often, but it was golden during marathon training.  I was skeptical, but the results are amazing.  The difference from long/hard workout days with and without a post-run ice bath was always astounding.  DOMS were minimal the following day if I soaked for even 5 minutes in icy water.  Without the soak I could be sore and tight for a couple of days.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

Fish oil, turmeric

SMART Approach

This is an awesome supplement. http://www.curamin.com/  I also think it is important to implement prehab. If certain body parts are sensitive, you need to spend extra time warming that area up before a run and also strength/flexibility all around that area and all over. The body is a connecting chain.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ooh to the eeh the ooh the aah aah
                Ting tang the wallawalla bingbang
                Ooh to the eeh the ooh the aah aah
                Ting tang wallawalla bingbang

BeeRunB

curcumin comes from turmeric

i don't know where turmeric comes from

or where we do

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All "natural" pills have the same risks as drugs, but are untested.  Many drugs are just natural substances (or slightly modified natural substances, just like nutritionals) that have had rigorous testing for safety and efficacy (unlike nutritionals, which are often a crap shoot).

Why must pain be treated at all? 

L Train

You are a pain that should be treated.

Matt_B

Foam roller for the ITB, quads, and hamstrings.

Glucosamine, fish oil, and a multi-vitiamin are the only pills I take.

BeeRunB

Because it hurts.

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

All "natural" pills have the same risks as drugs, but are untested.  Many drugs are just natural substances (or slightly modified natural substances, just like nutritionals) that have had rigorous testing for safety and efficacy (unlike nutritionals, which are often a crap shoot).

so that one may sleep, or function sometimes? But for the most part I agree with the why must pain be treated thinking

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson