Mental Prep (Read 964 times)

jcasetnl

I found this article while googling around, and even though it's an equestrian site, it's fairly general in nature. http://www.equestrianeducation.org/mental_prep_for_competition.htm
      Interesting article, but it doesn't touch on the mental aspect of running that I find the hardest: dealing with pain. Pain in your legs, feet, lungs, chest, shoulders, hips, neck, groin, arms, knees, and hair. Yes, hair. I know its supposed to hurt. Every good race hurts. The question is how much pain to swallow before going too far and realizing that you've actually (a) hurt your performance in the race, or, worse, (b) hurt yourself. The person who successfully answers that question for me wins a cookie. Smile

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I think part of it is language. I don't use words like "pain" or "hurt" even in my own mind to describe what happens when racing. To me this is the language of failure and defeat. Racing does not hurt, it is intense. When things start to get intense in a race I am happy because this is the time to make something of all my preparation. When the intensity starts to set in it is time to focus because only when things get intense do I have an opportunity to accomplish something meaningful to me in running. My best races did not hurt at all, but they were quite intense.

Runners run

Go Pre!

Oh for sure the cookie goes to mikey - that was very well said mm!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think part of it is language. I don't use words like "pain" or "hurt" even in my own mind to describe what happens when racing. To me this is the language of failure and defeat. Racing does not hurt, it is intense. When things start to get intense in a race I am happy because this is the time to make something of all my preparation. When the intensity starts to set in it is time to focus because only when things get intense do I have an opportunity to accomplish something meaningful to me in running. My best races did not hurt at all, but they were quite intense.
            Are you sure you're not talking about natural childbirth...? Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Are you sure you're not talking about natural childbirth...? Wink k
              sounds like it to me too Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, seriously...my biggest regret is opting for drugs. I was fully dilated by the time they got the epidural in me (I went from 4 to 10 in 40 minutes...they did NOT need to give me pitocin, apparently). The entire time I was contracting like a freight train I remember thinking...yeah, this hurts, but damn...I had cramps almost this bad as a teenager and went to school. Hindsight is 20/20 and I should have just sucked it up and said no to drugs like Nancy Regan encouraged. Of course, this apparent high pain tolerance of mine often has me continuing to run when I should be walking. I think I'm damned lucky that it hasn't landed me with serious injuries like stress fractures. It's probably only the 10% increase rule that has kept me on my feet all this time.... k

~ Sarah Kay

(I went from 4 to 10 in 40 minutes...The entire time I was contracting like a freight train I remember thinking...
                  we are twins on this - once the endorphins kicked in - it was like, whoa - this is like happening far, far away Cool
                  Of course, this apparent high pain tolerance of mine often has me continuing to run when I should be walking. I think I'm damned lucky that it hasn't landed me with serious injuries like stress fractures. k
                  OK - not twins on this one Roll eyes

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

we are twins on this - once the endorphins kicked in - it was like, whoa - this is like happening far, far away Cool
                    Exactly...very surreal and at the same time primal. Not even something I could describe to anyone who hasn't BTDT. And I don't even entirely remember parts of the day--though my hubby claims I made noises like a cow. Oh, well, you can take the girl outta WI, but you can't take the WI out of the girl, heh.
                    OK - not twins on this one Roll eyes
                    I think I'm just VERY lucky to not have had serious injuries when I have ignored pain against my better judgement.

~ Sarah Kay

well said Mike! and yeah about the natural childbirth. DId it four times...it's a total adrenaline rush for me but I can't keep poppin out kids so I got serious about running. Tongue Although, in the time I ran my first marathon (3:48:54) I could have given birth twice and been in transition with the third...so I have to say, running is much more difficult.

Jennifer mm#1231

notice how women can turn any topic right back to child birth? LOL! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

notice how women can turn any topic right back to child birth? LOL! Big grin
                          Ha, we certainly have a knack! There definitely are parallels I have drawn between running and childbirth, though. One is the ease with which we forget any pains and keep going back for more. Though I did learn my lesson after one c-section. Had I birthed my son "the right way," perhaps I would have wanted more... Wink I think a lot of the mental things are similar, too. The more one feels fear and apprehension, the more likely they are to experience pain in either endeavor. k

~ Sarah Kay

jcasetnl

So the running theme I'm getting from all these responses is that childbirth is great for mental toughness. Surprised That doesn't help me, as a guy... I'm trying to think of a "guy only" pain that might be similarly useful, but I just can't see how getting kicked in the junk bag would make me a better runner.
                              Hmmmmmm... Passing a kidney stone perhaps. Shocked

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Hmmmmmm... Passing a kidney stone perhaps. Shocked
                                only if it's the size of a - never mind Tongue

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group