Question about my upcoming race.. (Read 679 times)

Double IPA Please!

Well, I lied, I have two Big grin First one is this..I did a long run this morning 10.25 (nice and easy with a couple of 1minute walk breaks thrown in as my knee was acting up a tad)..Aerobically I was fine. My question is this, my run is on the 5th of April (10miles) should I do one more longer run of say 12 miles before that time or am I cutting it too close? The rest of this weeks runs will be between 3 milers and 6/7/8 milers thrown into the mix as well. I would like to top off at 35miles by weeks end. Next question is- My race is literally out my back door (the starting line). Would you have run the course by now to feel it out? Or would you have left the element of surprise for actual race day? We have driven the course a few times so I know what to expect as far as hills and what not (not worried about them as I cannot get away from hills in general due to where I live). My dh has asked me a couple of times if I am going to run it first. I was going to run it this week, but then thought..just leave it for race day. WWYD? Tongue My mother has also mentioned driving up this week possibly and doing it and I would be half tempted to do it to keep her company. I.just.don't.know. Big grin

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Lazy idiot

Regarding the course, I'd definitely give it a whirl prior to the race. I think any information you can glean from the course will make your race better. You will feel more comfortable knowing what lies ahead, rather than be surprised around every turn. Knowing where you can pour it on and where to let it sit back a little can make a difference. My $0.02

Tick tock

I'm all about the home court advantage whenever I can get it. I try to train ahead of time on race courses whenever possible. As for needing a longer run, you are probably fine without it.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Jog the course. 10 miles is a long way though to run twice in few weeks time. Maybe you could do half one day and half another day if someone can pick you up/ drop you off at 5 mile mark. I think envisioning the finishing 5 miles would be more important than the opening 5 miles if you already know the route from driving it.
            A 12 mile long run would definitely help your performance in a 10 miler but not at the expense of your knee. You'll need to be the judge of how much you can run without ending up injured and out of the race. If the course is that close you should be doing as much of your running on it as possible. There is a lot to be said for course familiarity. Tom
              One more vote to run the course if you can, and if you can't do the whole course, then second half is better than the first. The first couple of miles are done before you realize you are actually running, but the last few miles can get a bit lonely if this is a small local race. Once you know the route the distance always seems shorter. If you can get the run in by this Saturday (if you knee is holding up) you have a week to take it easy, and that should be plenty of time to get ready for a 10 miler.

Double IPA Please!

If the course is that close you should be doing as much of your running on it as possible. There is a lot to be said for course familiarity. Tom
                I do a lot of my running back there- the first half of my run and then the run back coincide with the actual race just not the middle portion of it. Kwim? Regarding my knee, I ran out of tape and am waiting for the damn PT's office to get in more for me that they ordered Roll eyes However, I guess that is my fault as I waited to darn long before I placed the call. I think once I tape it again I could run the course by weeks end. I was just worried about pushing it too much, but I guess Im the only one who could decide that.. Tongue I have a few days to think it over anyhow. What about my runs next week? I know I don't need to taper too much if any probably as I asked this question before. However, I'm not sure if I should just do shorter runs on most days or do some shorter runs and then take a couple days off before? Like run Mon-Wed and then take off Thurs and Friday? (race Saturday) OR should I just run like I do in a normal week and put my normal miles in? I'm sorry, running is NOT new to me but racing IS.. After the race do I take a few days off or is it not necessary since its only 10 miles and pick up my running again as normal?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

phzzzzzzzzzzz

I think whether you run the course prior the race depends on what you want to get from the race. If I were running a race that I just wanted to finish, I don't think I'd worry too much about running the course before the actual event. However, if I were going to try to win my age group or had some other kind of time goal, I would want to try to run the course first. Also, if the race was only in a week, I don't think I want to expend the extra energy.

SMART Approach

Denise, Agree with much of what is being said above. If a goal race, I generally recommend last pure long run be 9-12 days before. Can you run 12 miles 7 days before? Sure. But a 12 miler for a 35 mile per week runner will take a bit more out of you than someone running 50-60 miles per week but as long as you wouldn't run some faster miles within this long run you would be fine. You ou do need to really think about the knee also as that race will be a whole new stress to your body and knee. Is sneaking in a 12 miler and race the best for your knee???? You really don't need to taper much at all as far as miles and shouldn't other than last 2-3 days on your lower miles. And this does not mean taking off those last couple days. Ideally, if you want to take a day off, take the day 2 days before the race off and not the day before. Running the day before will get your blood volume up. Certainly, cut intensity a bit last week (don't feel you are doing much of this anyway) and day before run easy 3-4 miles w/ some striders. Do get a 6-8 miler in on Sunday, Monday or Tues with maybe w/ some at race pace to get a feel for pace. Not sure if you have been doing race pace miles. If not, just pick it up a bit for 2-4 miles within this mid longer. As far as after race, you will feel it. Don't need to take off multiple days. One day is fine (optional) and then jog go easier miles the week after to get your legs back. You may find a slow jog the day after the race will enhance recovery.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Double IPA Please!

Thank you Smile as always, great advice from all of you. I have not been running anything at race pace as this is my first and I don't have an idea on race pace yet for myself- just my speedwork I have been doing here and there. So I will take your advice Tchuck and do a run with a couple of higher paced miles in between to get a feel. Thanks again guys!