What's the difference in intervals and fartlek? (Read 887 times)

Just need some clarification here....

My Hero

I'm sure you get quite several (quite detailed) responses, so I'll give you the short answer: Fartlek. Swedish for "speed play." You are out running on the road, on the trails etc. and you decide to pick up the pace between every three light posts et say, or two. No structure, no limits, do however many reps you want at what ever duration or pace. Intervals. Some people mistake the the running part of run as the interval, but at least according to Jack Daniels, the interval is the rest between running sets. Can be a complete rest or recovery pace. Interval training can be complicated if you want to make it that way. Short run/short rest. Short run/ longer rest etc. Usually done on the track, but generally requires any surface that can be accurately measured. Both the the Fartlek and Intervals would called "speed workouts" with the Fartlek no structure and Intervals all structure.
        Gotcha--thanks! What I've been doing and calling intervals were actually fartleks, then. Wink

For an easy analogy, this is rather like asking what the difference between a square and a rectangle is. A fartlek is always an interval workout, but an interval workout is not always a fartlek. Most people refer to fartleks as either random bursts of speed and recovery running as the whim takes you, or as a more structured workout where you run continuously but have bursts of speed in there whether measured or not. Intervals are any workout where you mix up your pace and have either passive rest or active recovery between speed states. http://news.runtowin.com/2007/05/14/answers-for-the-top-questions-about-interval-training.html

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JakeKnight

One sounds way, way funnier.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

One sounds way, way funnier.
              I never thought of it that way but you're right. Interval sounds like some chick named Val is coming into a room. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

xor

I never thought of it that way but you're right. Interval sounds like some chick named Val is coming into a room. HAHAHAHAHAHA.
                Or. The Iceman Cometh.

Lazy idiot

Or. The Iceman Cometh.
                  *golf clap* +1

Tick tock

Imminent Catastrophe

Fartleks smell worse.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Fartleks smell worse.
                      Dude, you've never run intervals with me.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Flat footer

is it just me or did this thread get WAY off track Tongue
                        Lane

is it just me or did this thread get WAY off track Tongue
                          No pun intended.
                            Thanks guys, this was pretty good information. My friend Larry just taught me about going to the track and running laps (intervals) and setting and improving pace to improve times and then to walk in between them, so this was kind of reassuring to read the same thing here. Smile
                            What a beautiful time of the year in New England