First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

I've heard numerous similar tales of tax collection on runners.  I am still completely baffled why anybody would stop and talk to these yahoos.  Maybe if I was dumb enough to let them follow me to my house I would feel obligated, otherwise....catch me if you can fatty!

I can't say I ever tried to outrun a cop before who is driving a car, on foot.  When i turned around and I saw those lights lit up, I knew he meant business.   It's a 4 mile run back to my house too.  I'd give anybody lots of credit if they really thought they could ditch a cop with radio backup too, on feet.  I was wearing a bright green safety color shirt too, which makes it even tougher to hide.

I can't say I ever tried to outrun a cop before who is driving a car, on foot.  When i turned around and I saw those lights lit up, I knew he meant business.   It's a 4 mile run back to my house too.  I'd give anybody lots of credit if they really thought they could ditch a cop with radio backup too, on feet.  I was wearing a bright green safety color shirt too, which makes it even tougher to hide.

The ensemble gets even better, bright green safety color shirt and cutoff jeans = bold move.

MTA: 10 miles in jeans?...good grief. I can't imagine.

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

If I were the officer, I'd give you a ticket just for the outfit.

Seriously, how could he not know you weren't some drunk going home after an all-niter?  Having been unfortunate enough to live in West Virginia for 6 years, people walking home from the bar along the tracks and getting hit by the train was not uncommon.  (so was getting stuck in the mud after a "mudder" in your truck-different thread though- Dead)

When I grew up in Illinois I had my license taken a few times when I got ticketed.  I learned to stay within the rules.  Or I couldn't buy beer.  I would have thought that law was changed by now.  Sucks.  Go ask for mercy.  I got supervision a few times.

JimR

I've heard numerous similar tales of tax collection on runners.  I am still completely baffled why anybody would stop and talk to these yahoos.  Maybe if I was dumb enough to let them follow me to my house I would feel obligated, otherwise....catch me if you can fatty!

You need to be beyond the reach of the tazer.

Just in case you're not kidding, let us know how it feels prying that Taser dart out of your ass.

sunfastrose

Fatty McFatFat

The ensemble gets even better, bright green safety color shirt and cutoff jeans = bold move.

All he needs is a pair of Vibrams and he's entirely perfect.

Also - http://joggingjeans.com/

Also - http://joggingjeans.com/

If you're gonna run in denim overalls there had better be a toothless, banjo-wielding maniac chasing you.

This thread has been interesting :-)   I just want to know how much the fine is at the end of the month.

---I'm also curious to hear from the Lawyer who posted on what a representation fee would be for such a case.  ---Or would a Lawyer or Attorney in this case probably state that he will not represent a person in this situation because the the Transit Police were not in the wrong with their action?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Chris T

Just in case you're not kidding, let us know how it feels prying that Taser dart out of your ass.

Pshaw. No way that would happen, the cop would have to put their donut down.

Kalsarikännit

the cop would have to put their donut down.

Yawn. I expect a little more effort here.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DanB

The problem with this statement is that the Metra Police are not a City jurisdiction.   The money form your fine will go to subsidize my train fare not to Mayor Emanuel.

I wasn't wearing a Cardinals baseball cap at the time.  And believe me since I've been a Cards fan from day one here in Chicago, simply because they impressed me much more than Chicago teams, I know all about the hatred for the Redbirds here. It's actually not that bad though until you get near the drunks @ Wrigley.   I really do believe, no matter what, the cop showed piss poor judgment here.  And collecting more revenue certainly could have been on his mind too.  Especially since Chicago is in a lot of debt right now.

2013 Goals.......

This thread has been interesting :-)   I just want to know how much the fine is at the end of the month.

---I'm also curious to hear from the Lawyer who posted on what a representation fee would be for such a case.  ---Or would a Lawyer or Attorney in this case probably state that he will not represent a person in this situation because the the Transit Police were not in the wrong with their action?

Believe me, I'm a lot more curious than you.  That's not to say I haven't tried contacting other lawyers.  Any lawyer can tell me that the Metra police were operating within their guidelines to detain me.  But at the same time too, it's still a judgment call.   And opinion will always vary as long as members of the human race make the judgments.

Chris T

Yawn. I expect a little more effort here.

Sorry.

Doughnut.

Kalsarikännit

Sorry.

Doughnut.

Mucho better. Big grin

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

In other words you want to pay $2500 bucks to attempt to avoid a $250 citation?

I paid $212.50 to appeal a ticket carrying a $172.50 fine: 1), to prove the point that the City was acting illegally; and 2) to avoid the 4 points on my driving record.

Obviously, the OP is differently situated.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau