Cleats for Running on Ice (Read 1610 times)

I'm looking at all the different types...Yaktrax, Stabilicer, Get a Grip, etc. Anyone have any favorites that they've found held up better than others/ fit better, etc? Tried them all and none worked? I don't think I want to put screws in my shoes!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I read some things on the RW forums that makes the YakTrax ones sound like they wear out fast. these are intriguing, but maybe not for $59! Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I read some things on the RW forums that makes the YakTrax ones sound like they wear out fast. these are intriguing, but maybe not for $59! Shocked
        Woah. Those look serious! Big grin I read the same thing about the Yaktrax, but seems I'm reading that about all of them. The Stabilicer Sports look like they can be used even on patches of cement w/o wrecking them though.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Stabilicer Sports look like they can be used even on patches of cement w/o wrecking them though.
          That would definitely be good around these parts. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm looking at all the different types...Yaktrax, Stabilicer, Get a Grip, etc. Anyone have any favorites that they've found held up better than others/ fit better, etc? Tried them all and none worked? I don't think I want to put screws in my shoes!
            From your list, I've only used the stabilicers, and I've been pretty happy with them.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

$59 is well worth not having to run on the mill, though!
              2009: BQ?
                From your list, I've only used the stabilicers, and I've been pretty happy with them.
                Thanks Blaine. Have you tried any other kinds before that?
                  $59 is well worth not having to run on the mill, though!
                  I agree!!

Dog-Love

You know I have run it all sorts of cleats, I absolutely hate yaktrax and I tend to use a great pair of slip one spikes that are lgithweight and last one Alaska season, have tried trail runners with spikes (>$150) and runningn shoes with bolts screwed into them (they are great but are weird when you hit asphalt that isn't frozen. I always go back to my slip on running spikes $22/pr... Spikes can be replaced and I can run up frozen rivers or icy stairs and rds and I can take them off when I don't need them.
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                    Eryn

FWIW, I put about 150 miles on my Yaktrax last winter and they're still in great shape.... No problems with them so far, and I never slipped once! $20 well worth it!

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Thanks Blaine. Have you tried any other kinds before that?
                        I've put screws in my shoes, but I haven't tried any other type of crampon.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

You know I have run it all sorts of cleats, I absolutely hate yaktrax and I tend to use a great pair of slip one spikes that are lgithweight and last one Alaska season, have tried trail runners with spikes (>$150) and runningn shoes with bolts screwed into them (they are great but are weird when you hit asphalt that isn't frozen. I always go back to my slip on running spikes $22/pr... Spikes can be replaced and I can run up frozen rivers or icy stairs and rds and I can take them off when I don't need them.
                          Sherry, can you tell me what brand the spikes are that you're talking about?
                            http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm As RTW commented, it can be a little weird on clear patches of road, but it never really bothered me much. I can see how it might bug someone tho, if your prone to being annoyed. Did this for many years in highschool/college. And it costs about a dollar.

Sandi Sue

I always go back to my slip on running spikes $22/pr... Spikes can be replaced and I can run up frozen rivers or icy stairs and rds and I can take them off when I don't need them.
                              I totally concur Crabby. Slip on cleats work best on the slippery stuff. That being said, Hey Crabby, how about this 4 F/-14 with windchill weather here in Juneau? I don't know if I can dress warm enough to deal with it. I might have to hit the treadmill.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

Dog-Love

Sherry, can you tell me what brand the spikes are that you're talking about?
                                Took awhile to find a link, but here they are.. http://cozywinters.com/shop/gag.html MTA: I get mediums and I wear size 8.5 ASICS. I didn't buy them from this company, we have an outdoors store in Juneau that stocks these. And Sandi...running with a -25 windchill is not my idea of a good time! I am looking at the treadmill today. Ice and snow I don't mind, but this wind is a killer!
                                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)