kids' running shoes (Read 712 times)

Gig

Really? Running shoes for kids? My daughter is seven. Her goal is to run 100 miles this year. (I talked her down from 1,000.) Now she needs new shoes. The last time, I went out and got her a nice pair of running shoes. I mean, any excuse to go to the running store, right? But do I really need to spend all that money on running shoes for a kid when probably any pair of sneakers would do? Honestly, I think she runs fastest in her flip flops. The reality is that I'll probably take her to the running shoe store this weekend. Any excuse, as I said. But I'm interested in opinions on this. Gig
    Ojo

I bought DS a pair of Asics because he refuses to wear anything but Converse High tops or cleats for soccer. We made a deal that if he wanted to run with me he had to get good shoes. Worth the money in my opinion.

Sara

MM #2929

When I was a kid, I got hand-me downs and cheap stuff for every stitch of clothing I wore, but every pair of shoes I got was top of the line. My mum's philosophy was "clothes don't have any effect on your bones, but shoes do". While I've happily rebelled against most of the things in my mum's philosphy, I've taken the same approach with my son on this one - not necessarily top of the line, but at least fit for purpose and properly fitted. Side note: I too am a training developer (although I concentrate more on implementation than design)
        Gig

Great feedback. I like to spoil Sofia, as long as she doesn't start acting spoiled. I felt like maybe I was going overboard with the shoes, so thanks for the validation.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I was a kid, I got hand-me downs and cheap stuff for every stitch of clothing I wore, but every pair of shoes I got was top of the line. My mum's philosophy was "clothes don't have any effect on your bones, but shoes do". While I've happily rebelled against most of the things in my mum's philosphy, I've taken the same approach with my son on this one - not necessarily top of the line, but at least fit for purpose and properly fitted.
            This is the stance my folks pretty much took, too. Our snow boots and dress shoes were usually pretty low-rent, but for athletic shoes and anything that received lots of regular wear they didn't mess around. We also never handed down shoes to younger siblings, since my mom reasoned that every person will break them in differently. We generally buy Dane higher-end shoes--partly because he wears the hell outta them and the Payless ones rarely hold up well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mom2three

Young kids bones are growing and developing. I think a good set of running shoes is essential. I wouldn't let my kids run distance running in anything other than what I would run in.
              Jill
                New Balance makes a couple of good pairs that I have bought for my 5 year old daughter and she loves them. They come in pink and white, always a bonus with the ladies. Wink
                Run long, run strong