Garmin 305 suddenly dead? Very sad (Read 1554 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

Well, after more than 4 years, I believe my garmin 305 is dead. It's a sad day. I feel like I lost my running buddy of close to 9000 miles and almost 1500 hours. Strange, though, because it has been acting perfectly even this past week. But yesterday I went to run, and it was totally unresponsive. I charged it overnight, and again dead today. Tried the magic reset button combination, but nothing. Then I downloaded the web updater, and updated the software. Took me 6 tries to get all the way through. Odd thing is that it actually does seem to work when it's on its charging stand, but as soon as I disconnect it, it drops dead again. I wonder if there is a loose connection to the battery?

So, what's the best replacement garmin now? I think as long as i have to get a new one, I would like to have one a little easier to read (like white background instead of grey) and maybe with bigger numbers? Otherwise, exactly the same features?

When my 305 died I went to a 310XT.  It is almost identical in display and function, but the sound doesn't fade over time and it can vibrate in addition to the sounds.  The vibration is nice, since if there is traffic or other noise around, you can't hear the sound even if it is working correctly.  I think it has twice the rated battery life as well.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

MrH

I had the same problem. One day without warning ... it was totally functional on the charging cradle. But turned off immediately when picked up. I tried every update and button mashing scenario, but no luck. Garmin replaced it with a new one for the $79.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

When my 305 died I went to a 310XT.  It is almost identical in display and function, but the sound doesn't fade over time and it can vibrate in addition to the sounds.  The vibration is nice, since if there is traffic or other noise around, you can't hear the sound even if it is working correctly.  I think it has twice the rated battery life as well.

plus its waterproof.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Am I doing this right?

You could run with your laptop and the Garmin in the charging cradle.  That would work. 

Or you could get one of these : http://www.grist.org/list/2011-06-06-solar-powered-bikini-lets-you-charge-gadgets-with-your-boobs

Just a couple ideas.

No excuses....

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Well, after more than 4 years, I believe my garmin 305 is dead. It's a sad day. I feel like I lost my running buddy of close to 9000 miles and almost 1500 hours. 

Sorry about the watch. But can I just say that you are an animal? 9000 miles in 4 years? Wow. Keep at it.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

northernman

Fight The Future

Sorry about the watch. But can I just say that you are an animal? 9000 miles in 4 years? Wow. Keep at it.

Thanks! And I'm a slow animal, at that! (my friend says I'm a turtle).

I calculate that out to a bit less than 4 cents per mile for the price of the watch. I was about ready to go for the new Garmin 610, at $350, hoping that I would get 9000 miles on that one as well, but the reviews seem to indicate it is still a bit too new and too flaky. 

Now I'm thinking that I should first try to surgerize my old 305, like this guy did:

http://blog.mtbguru.com/2008/11/06/surgery-on-the-garmin-edge-305/

Maybe I can re-animate it to last long enough for the 610 to get fixed....

Thanks! And I'm a slow animal, at that! (my friend says I'm a turtle).

I calculate that out to a bit less than 4 cents per mile for the price of the watch. I was about ready to go for the new Garmin 610, at $350, hoping that I would get 9000 miles on that one as well, but the reviews seem to indicate it is still a bit too new and too flaky. 

Now I'm thinking that I should first try to surgerize my old 305, like this guy did:

http://blog.mtbguru.com/2008/11/06/surgery-on-the-garmin-edge-305/

Maybe I can re-animate it to last long enough for the 610 to get fixed....

Both of my Garmins stopped working in a similar manner. In the older one, the case had completely separated and was visibly caused by the battery swelling up. If you try the surgery, make sure to examine the battery - it will likely need replacement. In my case $75 and one week later and I had a new/refurb 305 that looked/acted brand new. They also replaced the other one for free, but it was still under warranty.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I had the same problem. One day without warning ... it was totally functional on the charging cradle. But turned off immediately when picked up. I tried every update and button mashing scenario, but no luck. Garmin replaced it with a new  different one for the $79.

The exact same fate as my first 205.  I was going to do the refurb route for $79.00, but opted for a new one at $125.00.

At the moment, walmart.com has the 205 for $117.13 and the 305 for $128.54.  Amazon usually pegs its price to Walmart (or vice versa).

I'm still considering trading my original for a refurb, to have on hand as a backup.  With my luck, my Garmin will kick the bucket right before my Fall marathon.

MTA:  Amazon's prices are the same, right down to the penny.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Cool Jump Suit

This same thing happended to mine.  Well sort of.  I had all of the symptoms you are talking about, but I actually had pressed sooooo hard on the power button that I dislodged it from the internal mount.  Tried to fix it, and as previously stated, Garmin would sent a refurbished one for $80, but I just purchased a new one for $120.  Nothing lasts forever I guess. 

So bittersweet,
                      This tragedy
                      Won't ask for absolution;
                      This melody,
                      Inside of me,
                      Still searches for solution.
                      A twist of faith,
                      A change of heart
                      Cures my infatuation.
                      A broken heart, 
                      Provides the spark
                      For my determination.