feeling sorry for myself (Read 975 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And as race director I'll limit entry to those with documented medical issues... Big grin
    I have asthma and am on an inhaler....

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I have asthma and am on an inhaler....
      But we already know you can run more than 5 miles... so... NO! Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

When I used to work in a neurobiology lab at Rockefeller University in New York, I didn't get the sense of sexism in the lab. The gender ratio was pretty even at 50/50. Everyone got along great most of the time. There were the occasional gripes about so and so didn't clean up after himself, which I think is quite normal in a biology lab. In today's political landscape, anyone that's going into science is a good thing. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to turn it into a politic discussion. As for string theory, I brought it up because PBS is airing a rerun of Nova this week that discussed it. I'm no physicist, and maybe that's the problem, but it doesn't answer a lot of my questions. It's overly complicated. One can argue that it has to be so when you get below the subatomic level. Whatever happened to Occam's razer? One of my biggest question is what is energy. We all know what it does, but I don't know what it is. How does it get an atom at 0k to go zipping around? Since the strings are these tiny strands of energy, maybe the question can be rephrased as what are strings.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But we already know you can run more than 5 miles... so... NO! Tongue
          Awww...crap. Well, it was worth a try. *sigh* I thought maybe there was a race division I could actually win... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I used to work in a neurobiology lab at Rockefeller University in New York, I didn't get the sense of sexism in the lab. The gender ratio was pretty even at 50/50. Everyone got along great most of the time.
            Hubby works for Herman Miller (office furniture and high-end home furnishings) and in his engineering group it's also about 50/50. They're a pretty close-knit bunch, too. I don't know that they are the norm, though. The last company he worked for had ZERO females in engineering. k

~ Sarah Kay

nemo1

I don't know how long I will be able to write today, I just took pain medication. I thought I would warn you in case I started getting strange without any warning. Anway, there are two females (including me) in our department as undergraduates. Well, there is really only one, me. The other one is about to quit, I think. She has failed Calculus I three times and her advisor told her to get a general degree focusing on science. She also failed the physics I lab alreadys. Seriously, if you can't pass the easy classes, what makes you think you can major in the subject? Anyway... As for the virtual run, we will have to see what I am up to. Apparently, my .2 mile walk yesterday is really making me pay today. Cry I just wish I could do something by myself again. I'm sorry, I am feeling really bad today. I got the police report back and it says that it is completely my fault. However, I do not agree with the report. I do agree that I must have missed seeing the other people. However, the police put in the report that I did not know what happened. This was true, at the time. I had a concussion and I couldn't remember even driving down the road to where the accident occured. Now, I remember driving, stopping, looking both ways, reading the "cross traffic does not stop" sign underneath the regular stop sign. I remember, NOT seeing the truck. Then, I remember starting to cross, and then everything goes black. The next thing I know is the paramedics are speaking to me. When I look at the police report, it is obvious that if the report is drawn correctly, the other people were going VERY fast. The tire marks start well before the intersection, and the crash occurs in the intersection. The speed limit down that road is only 40 mph. Even in a full sized truck, it should be easy to stop pretty quickly. The people definitely saw me, and when they hit me, most of the front half of my car was out of the way. Anyway, between taking on too much yesterday, and the police report today, and then not feeling as good as I did yesterday, today has been pretty miserable. Thanks for listening, Sara
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awww...Sara, I'm so sorry. I hope you can get the police report fiasco sorted out. And I hope you start feeling better very soon. How miserable. (((HUGS))) k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

I'm sorry, I am feeling really bad today. I got the police report back and it says that it is completely my fault.
                  That really sucks! I'd be pretty mad/frustrated if I were you, too... insult on top of injury! Angry I'm sure the police are doing the best they can (probably overworked and underpaid) but it does sound like they didn't give you a very fair shake... but nobody ever really "wins" when it comes to traffic accidents (accept maybe the insurance companies.. I feel like those guys always win Wink). Really, considering how bad your car sounds, it's really amazing you made it out without any terrible (unrecoverable) injuries. That said, I think we will still award you full rights to feel sorry for yourself (for now Big grin)... being sick/injured for any length of time is just awful. Sounds like you're in a good place in Indiana. I think in science (and probably other fields too) the best thing is to find good advisors who will spend time teaching you. I'm still in touch with my advisor from the lab I worked in as an undergrad and he's been very helful/supportive over the years. If you're wanting something absolutely ridiculous to cheer you up, try the link below. It might be even better in your medicated state. But, warning, it is truly silly. http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UTF-8&p=%22llama+song%22&b=3&oid=9a70debd602152ee&rurl=grouper.com&vdone=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.yahoo.com%2Fvideo%2Fsearch%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3D%2522llama%2Bsong%2522&vback=Results (Sorry, can't get the hypertext to work)
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Sara. When I had ACL replacement surgery a little under two years ago, they put me on Percocet too. I got nauseous a lot, so we tried Darvocet. Same problem. We ended up with Ultracet. But I had another side effect too, that you may be experiencing, in addition to normal depressed feelings about being hurt and sidelined and the car being a wreck and worries about insurance and everything. Percocet's a narcotic, as is Darvocet. In other words, it's a drug. And it can play havoc with your emotions. For the time I was on them, I was a complete emotional wreck. I lost ALL control over my emotions - would cry at the drop of a hat - and my perspective on time really changed. All I could see was how much I hurt NOW, and I could not imagine it ever getting better. Agony went on for days, and then a few weeks, and it seemed endless. My physical therapist had seen a lot of people go through this, and she made sure I got to talk with a couple of other patients who were at different stages of healing from the same thing. And they understood the feeling of thinking it's not going to get any better. They reassured me it would, but in my heart I didn't believe them. A few more weeks, and something wonderful happened. I started getting better. Perhaps it was the change to Ultracet (non-narcotic) that allowed me to get my emotional feet back under me. I still hurt - sometimes a LOT - but I could deal with it again. My surgeon summed it up pretty well for me - "How many emotionally stable drug users do YOU know?" LOL I don't think I'll ever take percocet again! As you're sitting there feeling hurt, helpless, frustrated, and perhaps hopeless, wondering if you're ever going to get better, let me reassure you. You will. I don't know how long it will take, but somewhere along the line you'll turn a corner and things will start coming back together for you. It will happen, and then you'll look back and wonder both how you made it through this and why it seemed as impossibly horrible as it did. Hang in there. 1) There's nothing else TO do. and 2) It'll get better. Promise.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(Sorry, can't get the hypertext to work)
                      It's the Llama song, isn't it?! What are you trying to do, make her so insane that she forgets her troubles...? Llama Song = worst. earworm. ever. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

Llama Song = worst. earworm. ever.
                        I quote: "Llama, llama, cheesecake, llama, tablet, brick, potato, llama..." Don't resist. Love the Llama.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Llama llama duck! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

Llama llama duck!
                            I knew you loved it.... or maybe love/hate. Big grin
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I knew you loved it.... or maybe love/hate. Big grin
                              *nods* It's a little TOO catchy... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Check with the race director...they may not refund you, but most respectable events will let you apply your entry fee to next years event!!