Gym workout then run? (Read 937 times)

What are your thoughts on a light workout at the gym 30-45 minutes then an easy 4 mile run @ a 12 1/2 minute pace ?

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I agree I think it is better to lift and then run.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Whichever I do 2nd is generally worse for having been 2nd.  

bojangles

You always want to put your primary workout at the beginning. 

some call me Tim

If both are truly light workouts I can't see  that the order makes much difference, and if 'light' and 'easy' are your watchwords throughout I can't imagine there'd be a problem doing both. Not knowing where you're at, it's hard to tell, but if it's all that easy, perhaps you should push your pace for a few of those miles and see what happens. You might surprise yourself.

A Saucy Wench

Whichever I do 2nd is generally worse for having been 2nd.  

I find that lifting weights  - even a hard lifting session - seems to warm me up for the run more.  Some of my best runs have been after lifting. OTOH, running can suck the life out of my weights session unless I have time for fuel.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

oriwoi

It worked out quite well being 30 degrees after my gym workout. I felt relaxed and loose . Thanks everyone for the comments.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

I have no idea if this is the 'right' thing to do, but I pretty regularly lift during my lunch break and do a hard workout (like a tempo, mile repeats, whatever) after work, maybe 4 hours later. It doesn't seem to be causing any issues. That said, on the rare occasion that I lift and run in the same gym session, I'll run first and lift second. Otherwise I'll feel pretty weak on the run.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I actually do the opposite...run first, and then weight training workout.  I would think of the light run as more as a warm up for the muscles.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Running will hurt your lifting more than lifting hurting your running.

If  I do them both in the same day I would run early and lift about 10 hours later.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

runningmum

AKA bear2009

I have run to my gym (about 2.2mi), done a light weight workout, then run home.  Usually the run home is a little faster (unplanned) than the run there.  I have also found that the run after the weights decreases the amount of soreness from the weights the next day.

2013 Goals:

1. Start, stay, and finish the year uninjured!

CervezaGrande

I do this all of the time.  Being a parent and running a business, time is short.  Often times, I need to get my run and my weight workouts done in the same day.  I usually workout for about 30 minutes and then go for an easy run.  As for the pace, do what feels right for you.  Everyone runs at their own pace. 

Buelligan

I run first, then immediately do pull-ups or push-ups and lift weights.  I keep the weightlifting exercises down to two a day 6 days a week so I can get them done quickly.  I have 3 weight routines that hit the muscle groups twice a week.  

I used to lift pretty heavy with running secondary, but now running is the focus of my fitness.  

asdfsdaaas

spam