Garmin Forerunner (Read 1162 times)

Anyone know a great place to buy a cheap Garmin Forerunner? i'm looking for 405 or 410. The battery on my 205 won't last more than 1 hour and 15 minutes

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

excuse the naive question:  wouldn't it  be cheap to replace the battery?

It's only a  battery.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

It's only a  battery.

Is the battery replaceable? It isn't on the 205. It's doable, but would require soldering in a new battery. Cheap entertainment, if you have the tools. But, $75 for a factory refurb, seems the route on the cheap.

Get off my porch

It's only a  battery.

It's like the iPhone. you have to send it in to get the battery replaced. $70 to replace the battery

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

GP, how have you gone about charging your Forerunner?  I've found that both of the ones I've had have had great battery life...my first 305 started having crashing issues when the case cracked around the seam, but the battery was never an issue.  But I've always charged after every run and left the Garmin on the charger.  It seems like most folks who've had battery issues have only charged as-needed, rather than letting it live on the charger when not in use.  Something to consider with another unit.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hmm.  I'm a run-down to zero and then top-up kinda guy.  Old habit from batteries that had "memory".  Is the "leave it charging" the Garmin recommended method?

<eyes his dormant 610>

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Best Present Ever

Is the battery replaceable? It isn't on the 205. It's doable, but would require soldering in a new battery. Cheap entertainment, if you have the tools. But, $75 for a factory refurb, seems the route on the cheap.

I've had bad luck with the refurb.  It has a very short warranty, and failed just after the warranty (3 months I think?) ended. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Anyone know a great place to buy a cheap Garmin Forerunner? i'm looking for 405 or 410. The battery on my 205 won't last more than 1 hour and 15 minutes

Amazon was the cheapest when I bought one a couple months ago.  I ended out with the 310xt without a HR monitor (because I have one from my 305).

The retail outlets had the same product, with Dick's being very expensive, and the local RunOn store being about $50 more than what Amazon.com had.  The no sales tax also makes me smile.

I think I paid $250 for the 310xt.

(RunOn @ $299, Dicks @ $349).

Cheers,
                    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

can't you just accidentally drop it and pay Garmin $80 to give you a refurb?

oh nm, see the previous posts now.

GP, how have you gone about charging your Forerunner?  I've found that both of the ones I've had have had great battery life...my first 305 started having crashing issues when the case cracked around the seam, but the battery was never an issue.  But I've always charged after every run and left the Garmin on the charger.  It seems like most folks who've had battery issues have only charged as-needed, rather than letting it live on the charger when not in use.  Something to consider with another unit.

It lived on the charger most of the time. It's 3 years old and I'm assuming the battery can't last forever. I

It lived on the charger most of the time. It's 3 years old and I'm assuming the battery can't last forever. I

I had battery challenges with my 3 year old 305.

The battery lasted about 1 hour to 1.5 hours before losing its charge.  It was very frustrating when I was training. 

I tore it apart, and thought about getting a new battery, but after tearing it apart, it looked like a red-neck "hey Bubba" band-aid solution.  The local BatteriesINC didn't have a battery replacement on sight, so I figured that other Garmin owners weren't willing to screw with this either....

My 305 lived on the charger whenever I wasn't using it.  Inside, the battery looked fine without any apparent water problems or compromised components.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

The best place I've found to buy is Amazon.  You can usually choose there between new, used and refurbished.