Can't Wait for Monday (Read 93 times)

Coworker of mine who is somewhat out of shape and who ran his one and only 1/2 about two years ago is trying to get back into the routine of running so he told me on Wed that he'd decided the day prior to sign up to run another 1/2 as motivation..

Ever supportive, "Good for you, when is it,"  is how I replied.

"This Saturday," he says, "so I'll be wearing my medal on Monday."

His training has so far consisted of one 8 mile run, one 6 mile run and two or three 3 milers - all on a treadmill. And..............wait for it............................................it's a trail run (he is not familiar with what exactly that means.)

I'm not so sure he'll be wearing that medal.

an amazing likeness

Schadenfreude can bite you in the ass. Nearly any able-bodied person can complete a marathon or half marathon. Depends on the time cutoff...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

That is true, there are long time cutoffs for most Half marathons.  I imagine he made it.     But... I'd love to see a video of how he was doing Mile 10-13.... :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Schadenfreude can bite you in the ass. Nearly any able-bodied person can complete a marathon or half marathon. Depends on the time cutoff...

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish him any ill will, I'm just very curious to see him Monday and hear how this went.

The 1/2 he did two years back was at a 12+ minute/mile average and he's done virtually no training, and absolutely none outside, so I don't think a trail run is a great idea.

I know a guy whose wife was training for a half marathon.  He challenged her, and signed up for the race.  He never quite got around to training, but still ran the race.  He finished.  After his wife.  He said afterward that every muscle in his body cramped after the race.

As far as I know, he has never run since.