What's the protocol here on resurrecting old threads? (Read 589 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If I find an old thread of interest or on the same topic I want to post about, is it preferred that I start a new thread or post to the old one? Is there a general guideline on how old before a new thread on the topic is started?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

If the old one has some useful stuff in it (stuff worth reading again, and isn't a train wreck with off topic side shows), I'd post there. Make a judgment...ain't no rules.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

A Saucy Wench

If the old one has some useful stuff in it (stuff worth reading again, and isn't a train wreck with off topic side shows), I'd post there. Make a judgment...ain't no rules.

+1

No point in rehashing the same good stuff, because the first thing you'll get is links to the old threads.  but then certain threads we REALLY never need to see again.  Nevah evah. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Purdey

Self anointed title

If I find an old thread of interest or on the same topic I want to post about, is it preferred that I start a new thread or post to the old one? Is there a general guideline on how old before a new thread on the topic is started?

Ask Nads.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Also - there is a useful search function, so always good to use that before posting.  Not that anyone does of course.

xor

What they said.  The biggest differences between pulling up old threads here and reanimating zombies on RWOL:

1. The people who contributed in older threads here have a bigger chance of still being here than on old RWOL threads.  They may not be here (and it is impossible to tell just by staring at a post, UNlike on RWOL), but possibly.  Most old RWOL threads involve folks who are long gone.

2. RWOL reanimations are weird because they generally involve people from "current" addressing questions and answering stuff from months or years ago.  That's kind of screwy.  So, if you are pulling up an old thread to clarify info or because it pertains to a current/upcoming situation, great.  If you are pulling up a thread from 2006 to answer a 2006 question, well, you can see how sometimes that's goofed.  We don't get those kind of reanimations here as often.

Imminent Catastrophe

My Garmin measured my last race as being long. Who should I complain to?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

My Garmin measured my last race as being long. Who should I complain to?

That one belongs inside the Kahoutek comet.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Where is search at?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

xor

Top right.  It's the unlabeled box with the little magnifying glass icon to its right.

kcam

Jeez you guys got all the RWOLrs walking on eggshells here!  My advice to the OP:  Screw the OG RA'rs and do what you want to do - that way you'll fit right in.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Thanks SRL.

xor

Jeez you guys got all the RWOLrs walking on eggshells here!  My advice to the OP:  Screw the OG RA'rs and do what you want to do - that way you'll fit right in.

actually ken, this question isn't so much about eggshells here and EVERYTHING about RWOL culture and zombie threads.  If you bump an old thread there, people (ok, maybe mostly me and a few people) will suddenly show up and yell ZOMBIE! and then run away.

Sort of.

That said, I agree with ken, the point of my post above is mostly to say that it ain't no big thing here.  Precisely because, UNLIKE RWOL AND THE HUGE NUMBER OF ZOMBIE BUMPS, it ain't no big thing here.

kcam

srl, I still say screw what the OG RA'rs think.  It's their board too.  Just be prepared to accept the consequences.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

SRL can people take a joke here unlike RW. I like it here and have only posted serious posts. I don't want to be called a troll again.