cross training (Read 585 times)

run4fun8910

Hi everyone. I have been running now for 4 weeks. My log does not show it because I could not get access to it to have Eric upload it. I am running 3 days a week. I am following that couch 2 5 k plan. Things are going well so far. But what I want to do is some more work on the off days. I run on MWF. For the last 2 weeks I have used our elliptical machine on S or Su. I have access to a stationary bike, treadmill and a universal weight machine. Though not until I am off of work. I run in the mornings at 5am. Here are my questions. 1) I want to do strength training. Both overall and to help my runs. Are there exercise I can do at home with out weights that I can do on t,th,s? Or if I need to have access to weights is it okay for me to lift weights the night before a run? 2) For my cross training cardio workouts. Which would be better. Walking on the off days at the same 5am time I usually run or using the elliptical or exercise bike at 9pm? I want to compliment my runs but am afraid that working out at 9pm at night would interfere with my run at 5am the next morning? Am I word about nothing?
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
    va

Hi Shawn, Yes, there are many exercises you can do without weights. Some examples include: standing wall slide, single leg squat, walking lunge, calf raise, push-ups, bicycle abdominal crunch. Google these to get more info. Working out at the same time is probably the best way to avoid having one work-out “interfere” with another. Whatever the timing of the non-running work-outs, you can adjust the duration and intensity to minimize the impact. Note that the stationary bike has the advantage of being non-load bearing, so it will probably be the least likely to adversely affect your running work-outs...
      run4fun8910

Thanks VA. I really enjoy running in the mornings. Really gets my day to a good start. I however do not have access to the fitness center in the morning so how does this sounds. Runs on m,w,f at 5am. Recumbent cycle machine in fitness center 8:30 or 9pm t,th. Eliptical Sat. Rest day Sunday. Fit these in on t,th and sat: standing wall slide, single leg squat, walking lunge, calf raise, push-ups, bicycle abdominal crunch. Eventually I will be able to buy a stationary bike for the house but need to finish paying of car first. Almost there.
        va

That should work, but may be a bit ambitious, if you are not in the best shape...think about slowly increasing the amount of time you spend working out each week (in the same way the couch 2 5k program slowly increases the amount of time you spend running). Good luck!
          run4fun8910

Thanks. I do tend to get over excited and injure myself. Will head your advice.

Lisa pre-nose injury

Read the book NO NEED FOR SPEED by John Bingham. Great philosophy, psychology, encouragement and how to avoid overzealousness and injury!!!
              Lisa Week 9/10 of One Hour Runner

SMART Approach

Run for fun, Why limit yourself to 3 days per week of running? You will improve much faster and probably more likely to avoid injury if you run more days per week. You just have to run slow each or even mix in walking with the running. No need to run hard. Add some striders once or twice per week with the slow running and you are on your way to great progress. Certainly, be smart and increase mileage and days per week very gradually and back off a bit every 3-4 weeks for a week. BUT, to get better at running, you need to run. If build up slowly, you should be fine. Cross training is fine if you feel beated up from pounding (which shouldn't happen if doing it the right way), but if you have the time, why not run???? You will progress much faster. As far as resistance training, after running do some walking lunges, standing squats, push ups, core ab work (planks, bicycles, ball crunches etc), bench dips etc. If you have a ball and DB, add some DB presses while sitting on ball and lying on ball-tons of things you can use the ball for. These are all good things to do for strength, health and improving your look, but the best way to get better at running is to run.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Are there exercise I can do at home with out weights that I can do on t,th,s? Yes, there are plenty you can do, things like lunges, sit-ups, calf raises, push-up's etc. as well as streching. For an excellent reference check our Core Performance or Core Performance Enduranceby Mark Verstegen. It is an excellent book that helps improve all facets of your physical fitness as well as great excersise that help prevent injury Or if I need to have access to weights is it okay for me to lift weights the night before a run? Absolutely, in fact, if I am pressed for time I will sometimes lift right before the run, just watch how much leg work you do in a session right before a run. The night before should not be a problem at all.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm not sure i agree with Tchuck on this one. Once you finish C25K then you might want to add extra days. That plan has had a lot of success with very few injuries. Right now if you are running MWF, and using the eliptical S/Su then add 1 day of something else during the week. Stick with that for 2 weeks then add another day and see how it feels. Just go nice and slow!
                      I'm not sure i agree with Tchuck on this one. Once you finish C25K then you might want to add extra days. That plan has had a lot of success with very few injuries. Right now if you are running MWF, and using the eliptical S/Su then add 1 day of something else during the week. Stick with that for 2 weeks then add another day and see how it feels. Just go nice and slow!
                      Ditto. Everyone has to find theiir own comfort zone. I run 4 days per week with usually one set of back to back days. If I ran more, it leads to injury for me. There are others than can run every day of the week without injury. Take it slow and find the right balance for your body. Most weeks it's WMFSa for the runs with Saturday being the long run. (although the holdiays have thrown my usual schedule into chaos) Then on the other two days, I cross train with either swimming, bike, eliptical or stairs. I work in weights 1-2 days per week. I'm not as consistent on the days with weights. Most times it's on a cross training day but today I ran about 4.8 miles and then did weights for 30 minutes. If you want to make this part of your life, take it slow and find the right balance. You'll have plenty of time to build up your training program.
                      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

SMART Approach

Shawn, I missed you have been running only for 4 weeks. You have a lot of work to do. You have unlimited potential. As mentioned, everyone has their own comfort zone and some enjoy cross training instead of "just running". Think about your goals. Is it general fitness or is better running performance a big goal. Sounds like you are just trying to figure out what you want. Take your time build slowly and be smart.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Shiny Aspie

Thanks VA. I really enjoy running in the mornings. Really gets my day to a good start. I however do not have access to the fitness center in the morning so how does this sounds. Runs on m,w,f at 5am. Recumbent cycle machine in fitness center 8:30 or 9pm t,th. Eliptical Sat. Rest day Sunday. Fit these in on t,th and sat: standing wall slide, single leg squat, walking lunge, calf raise, push-ups, bicycle abdominal crunch. Eventually I will be able to buy a stationary bike for the house but need to finish paying of car first. Almost there.
                          Switching back and forth between morning and evening workouts would be kind of difficult because you'd end up going to bed late after your Tuesday and Thursday evening workouts and getting up early for your Wednesday and Friday runs. You may find you need to sleep more, especially when you're running a lot. Since you like mornings, how about switching one of the bike workouts to a morning walk? That way, you don't mess up your sleep schedule and you could occasionally do an easy run instead of walking as you get more and more accustomed to running.